Author Topic: Republic Trooper (The Old Republic) - TBS P. I #31 - Italian Retailer Exclusive  (Read 6711 times)

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Republic Trooper
The Old Republic
#31 The Black Series - Phase I

Manufacturer: Hasbro
Source: The Old Republic (videogame)
Size/scale: 3 3/4 inches/10 cm / 1/18 scale
Line: The Black Series - Phase I (2013-2014)

Planned Release: August 2014
Actual Release: late 2016
Distribution: Italy
Availability: Gazzetta Store Exclusive
Original Retail: 18,99€ / ~$22.78 USD
Assortment Number: A5077
SKU: 6 53569 97444 4

Action Figure & Accessories:

- Republic Trooper
   - Blaster pistol
   - Knife
   - Blaster Cannon
   - Kama w/ functional Holster and Scabbard port
   - Scabbard
   - Bandolier
   - Helmet

This action figure is surrounded by some mysteries. Hasbro initially planned to include the Republic Trooper in their The Black Series in 2014. For some reason both re-packs #31 Republic Trooper (The Old Republic) and #30 AT-RT Driver, both first released in The Vintage Collection in 2012, never made it to worldwide retail. Rumors were spread that both of them were cancelled. The repack of the VC46 AT-RT Driver remains cancelled. But the Republic Trooper should have a different fate...

eBay seller tunghori sold some limited amounts of this exact figure in November 2016 for $24.99 USD each. They sold out quickly. And I got two of them for FialaFernbrugg and me before they did. tunghori relisted them about 5 times and sold about 60 copies.

Shortly after that the Italian retailer for Comics "Gazzetta Store" listed the #31 TBS Republic Trooper as their online store exclusive. They somehow managed to secure it as their exclusive action figure, which I find pretty remarkable. This was over 2 years after Hasbro's planned official release in The Black Series Phase I. Here is a link to the Italian etailer's online store:

https://store.gazzetta.it/index-RCS-RCS_GStore-Site-WFS-it_IT-EUR.html

They were listed for 18,99€ and sold out within minutes.

One and a half year later it looks like some re-sellers from the United Kingdom offer them:
Currently they're sold by 2 sellers from the United Kingdom on Amazon Germany. They ship to the United States of America and also to the rest of  Europe. There are 4 offers total for the figure in new condition. One German seller offers it as “collectible” for 89,99€. These are all current offers I know of. They are sold between 24,99€ and 89,99€. And I got another two of them for 24,99€ each. The latest and cheapest offer was around 42.83€ from Niche Gift Shop UK.

If you live in the U.S. you can order yours here:

You can also buy them via amazon.co.uk or amazon.de

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-Trooper-Figure/dp/B00JYCF6Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527933548&sr=8-1&keywords=hasbro+republic+trooper

And this is how this order from Amazon.de arrived:

Sold by: Spielzeugwelt UK (ToyWorld UK) - SOLD OUT
Shipped from: Amazon
Date: 05/25/2018
Price: 24,99€

I'm honestly not a fan of these foldable cardboard envelopes because they can easily be accessed from aside b thieves and the content can easily be damaged when the shippment envelope is dented/crushed. This was another reason why I ordered two of them at the same time. It looks like I was lucky and also the carbacks were not bent while packed:

I have always loved these annoying stickers on the Euopean packaging covering the artwork of the cardback underneath...

I had to borrow these two images from rebelscum:

I do not own this image. All right and properties belong to rebelscum.com

I do not own this image. All right and properties belong to rebelscum.com

Have a look at the full and detailed review from D. Martin Myatt by following this link:
http://www.rebelscum.com/Republic-Trooper-31-Old-Republic-The-Black-Series.asp

And please make sure to also check out this review by forum member Commander_Kurgan of the initial release of this character as VC113 as part of The Vintage Collection:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=8172.0

Now, I need to get a couple starcases for them immediately...

Update (09/05/2018): Pictures of my loose Republic Trooper added.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:51:13 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
I can remember getting this offering and really liking it. I wish I had bought more at the time. I think I have it on a Vintage Card? I can't remember. Anyhow, thanks for the story and the line. Really interesting.

I will share this and the amazon link.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
You're very welcome Tamer! Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!

Have a great weekend, too!

- Philipp

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Another excellent and detailed review.
The design and the paint job of the figure is amazing.

I'm also not a fan of the amazon packaging. Especially the small packages are terrible. It is better to order more stuff to get a bigger and more robust package.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I agree. I won't order just one of anything smaller size on amazon now thanks to those little packages.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
@FialaFernbrugg: Thank you for your feedback my friend! I'm very happy to also have this one packaged, now. The paint apps are applied a little sloppier than on the original TVC release, but it's hard to see the difference really. Just tell me if you want to have one of them  ;)
True story abput these shippers! That's why I also buy several items to have them delivered in a cardboard box - not just an envelope...

@Tamer: Well, that's Amazon. They don't care about collectors - just about getting orders processed...my fingers are crossed that your next 4-LOM arrives in good condition.
I ordered TBS Captain Rex and a Mimban Stormtrooper from Toys "R" Us last week and they were packed very well. I'll post pictures of them, soon.

- Philipp

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
Update: I finally added shots of my loose Republic Trooper.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:13:21 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Looks good. If there was ever a figure to re release in a line this one is right up there.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thank you, Tamer. And I agree! A second repack would be good! When I look at the size of the head of the Republic Trooper compared to the rest of the body and how muscular it looks in the armor, it reminded me very much of Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson while taking the pictures.
Anyway I had a great time taking pictures over the last days! I'm also sorting my entire action figure collection right now.

The Republic Trooper also reminded me how well Hasbro can make 3.75" action figures - if they only want to. I will add a comment on him, too, along with a few more pics.

I still have hope that Hasbro will reach their full potential of their SA Star Wars figures in 2019 and beyond...how awesome it would be to see more characters of The Old Republic such as Sith Troopers, Satele Shan and so many more...

- Philipp 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I was thinking the same thing. When they decide to make a figure well they have shown they can do it. I wish it wasn't always about the bottom line when it came to 3.75". I think the sky is the limit in the six inch scale now, but that action figure scale that started it all is just being drubbed.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
Tamer: You're right! And Hasbro seem to know that sky is the limit with their beloved The Black Series. We also received quite a few awesome treats in The Vintage Collection since then. The Desert Skiff and Jabba's Palace Playset just being two of them. Still can't believe they finally gave us a playset of solid plastic!
Let's see what next year holds! Lots of great TBS announcements so far!

Add: To me the second Darth Revan in a row for the 6 inch line feels like a slap in the face for 3.75" collectors though...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:50:14 AM by Darth More »

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
While sorting & labeling all my figures I realized that R2-L3 of the Legacy Collection (Build-A-Droid) makes a perfect match for the Republic Trooper. So if you pretend that the R2 series astromechs were already invented back in the days of the Old Republic, they might look excellent on your shelf together!

Plus the Italian exclusive repack of the Republic Trooper is still available for 27,99€ from a British seller on Amazon Italy, France, United Kingdom and Germany! More than 17 months after they first appeared on Amazon...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
That is definitely a figure they could rerelease and sell out quickly. That droid's color is perfect isn't it!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Republic Trooper and R2-L3 are a perfect match.
Thank you for sharing.