Author Topic: Dr. Aphra - Special Action Figure Set - The Vintage Collection - SDCC Exclusive  (Read 7035 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
- Hasbro
-- STAR WARS
--- 3.75 inch
---- The Vintage Collection
----- Special Action Figure Set
------ Doctor Aphra Comic Set

I do not own this image. Source: Hasbro Toy Shop
URL: https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/-e16280000?catName=

Original Retail Price: $49.99 USD
Availability: exclusively at Booth #3329 (Hasbro) at Comic-Con International in San Diego 2018 (July 19-22, 2018), Hasbro Toy Shop (August 13, 2018- September 5, 2018)

GET YOURS HERE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST:*

UPDATE: Unfortunately, HasbroToyShop removed this item from their website on Septemper 5, 2018.

https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/-e16280000?catName=

Assortment Number: E1628
SKU: 6 30509 66358 3

Content of the set: 3 Action Figures:

- Doctor Aphra
- BT-1 (Beetee)
- 0-0-0 (Triple Zero)

Text on the packaging above the figures:

"Dr. Aphra and her 2 droids escape from their partnership with Darth Vader, careful to avoid the fate that awaits them if they should cross their former supervisor's path again."

Back of the packaging (original U.S version):

I do not own this image. Source: Rebelscum.com
URL: http://www.rebelscum.com/hasbro-star-wars/Doctor-Aphra-Comic-Set-The-Vintage-Collection-SDCC/image29.asp

Text on the back of the packaging:

"On a mission gone wrong, Dr. Aphra finds herself at the hands of the formidable Sith Lord, Darth Vader. A rare survivor of such meetings, Aphra is recruited by Vader for her skills in reprogramming droids and her apparent lack of remorse for breaking the law to get what she wants. After a brief checkered partnership with Darth Vader, Dr. Aphra escapes from the control of her dark supervisor and his clandestine agenda. Free of ther obligations to Vader, Aphra ventures out with her assassin droids, 0-0-0 (Triple Zero) and BT-1 (Betee), and Wookie bounty hunter Black Krrsantan in search of new opportunies, legal and otherwise. Though unafraid of using whatever means necessary to get what she wants, Dr. Aphra is careful to avoid additional entaglements with Darth Vader, understanding all too well the vast reaches of his unflinching power."

International Packaging:

Doctor Aphra

"I'm a woman who doesn't believe in sure things."
    - Doctor Chelli Aphra

"Chelli Lona Aphra was a human female archaeologist recruited by Darth Vader after the Battle of Yavin. Aphra, along with her assassin droid companions, 0-0-0 (Triple-Zero) and BT-1 (Beetee), fulfilled several missions for the Sith Lord before falling out of his favor."

Source: Wookieepedia
Read the full article about her by following this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chelli_Lona_Aphra

The detail on her eyes is just stunning...

I mean look at her articulation! This makes me wonder even more why Hasbro went back to 5 POA.

She holds her blaster perfectly, Hasbro have done an excellent job on her hand sculpts...

...and look at this printed tattoo...

...the vest...

...and her beautiful head, hat and hair sculpt!

Note: Doctor Aphra is an all-new figure and was released in this set first, before her debut on a single TVC card.

Accessories:

- DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol
- removable vest

Date stamp: none (which is very odd...)
Hasbro SA CHINA
LFL C-001C

0-0-0 (Triple Zero)

"I'm 0-0-0 or Triple-Zero, if you prefer. I'm a protocol droid, specialized in etiquette, customs, translation and torture, ma'am."
    - 0-0-0 introduces himself to Doctor Aphra[src]

"0-0-0, also known simply as Triple-Zero, was a protocol droid designed to specialize in etiquette, customs, translation and torture."

Read the full article by following this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/0-0-0

I read online that some people claim the removable panels of this figure fall off way too easily. But my figure does not have this issue. All parts fit tight. But one thing I can confirm: The protocol droid lost some detail since its first release in 2010.

Note: Triple Zero is a repaint of TVC VC06 See-Threepio (C-3PO).

Accessories:

- removable head and right lower leg
- 4 removable panels: face, chest, right upper leg and back control panel

Date stamp: 2009
Hasbro SA CHINA
LFL C-001C

[/size]

BT-1 (Betee One)

"Bleeep! Bleeep! Bleep!"
    "No, BT-1! No! You can't possibly do that. They are our masters! Also, who would clean up the mess?"
    - 0-0-0 persuades BT-1 not to attack Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra

"BT-1, also referred to as "Bee Tee," was a homicidal BT-1 assassin droid created by the Galactic Empire's Tarkin Initiative. After being found and reactivated by Doctor Aphra, BT-1 and his fellow droid 0-0-0 served under Lord Vader."

Read the full article by following this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BT-1

Note: BT-1 is a combined figure of exisitng Build-A-Droid parts, a new/retooled dome and accessories/tools.

Accessories:

- removable dome and legs
- 4 removable pieces: left and right panel, right canon, left launcher, tool on top

Date stamp: 2008
Hasbro SA CHINA
LFL C-001C

Source:

Dr. Aphra Comic (MARVEL)

Doctor Aphra 001 - The Brain Trust - Exclusive

"Star Wars: Doctor Aphra is an ongoing comic-book series that began publication on December 7, 2016. It is written by Star Wars: Darth Vader writer Kieron Gillen with illustrations by Kev Walker. The series takes place between Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, and follows from the conclusion of Star Wars: Darth Vader. It focuses on the character Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra."
Follow this link for full details: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Doctor_Aphra

Comment:

In the last Fans' choice poll of 2017 Doctor Aphra was part of the top-five list to vote for in the final round. I didn't even know her character before and was therefore even more surprised when she won the poll! That was enough occasion for me to look her up on Wookiepedia. I also found some awesome audio along with original images of her comics on YouTube. Didn't take long for me to fall in love with her character and her story. Since then I was looking forward to seeing her release in The Vintage Collection. After Dr. Aphra won the Fan's Choice Poll, fans quickly became louder to reach out to Hasbro to also release her two fellow droids 0-0-0 and BT-1.
And they should be heard. On June 5, 2018 a new Special Action Figure Set was revealed on io9.com including all three characters! This classic 3-Pack was not only announced as one of Hasbro's exclusives for San Diego Comic Con 2018, but for fans including me it was a dream come true and also a proof that Hasbro 1) listens to fans, 2) use their brain again and 3) share some true passion for The Vintage Collection and even for "LEGENDS" characters.
I was totally blown away by this reveal!

Before SDCC the oroginal retail price for this exclusive was revealed. It sold for $49.99 on the 3 days of the Con. For me that was quite a lot for one new, one retooled figure and one repaint. Still I celebrated that these three would be see the day of light in 3.75" format. But being an exclusive everybody already knew the prices on the after market would be wild if the MRSP already started that high.

Luckily this set is still available online on HasbroToyShop even though it sold out right after it became available on Hasbro's official website, but was restocked twice and their stock seems to last for almost a month! If I lived in the U.S. I would buy this set from Hasbro immediately. By now now a German etailer listed this set for preorder for 69.90€ (~81.08 USD) and I wonder if anyone wants to pay that much. I almost did, but then tunghori listed these three on ebay...

I'm very happy with these figures and recommend them to everyone. It's not only interesting to have an archaeologist in the Star Wars 3.75" action figure universe now, but Hasbro have also done a fantastic job on all of them!'

Return of the Comic Packs??

Like many others I was also a big fan of the Comic Packs of 2007 to 2011. Fans have been keeping to ask Hasbro for a return of these action figure 2-Packs with an exclusive excerpt of the according comic book - all in one pack for just $12.99 back then...so seeing the release of this Doctor Aphra Comic Set is more than a sensation for me. Even if you're not a fan of her character in particular, this should give you new hope that we will finally see more "Legends" love in the future, again!
I desperately hope to see more characters of the Expanded Universe, including re-releases of highly sought after figures such as Exar Kun & Ulic Qel-Droma...

I'm going to dedicate a little diorama for them, too, so stay tuned for that one!

Editor's note:

A couple weeks ago, ebay seller tunghori listed the SDCC 2018 exclusive Comic Set figures of Doctor Aphra, Triple Zero and Beetee for the first time. I couldn't resist and bought the three of them. First, I thought I paid too much for them, but now that I got them in hand, I'm more than happy!

I paid the following prices for these figures:

- Dr. Aphra - $19.99 USD
- BT-1 - $21.99 USD
- 0-0-0 - $12.99 USD

tunghori still has 0-0-0 in stock (as of this post) and he might relist Dr. Aphra and BT-1, again. Keep checking his ebay store if you still hunt for them lose or buy this set new at HasbroToyShop:
Here are the hyperlinks to

tunghori's ebay store: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=tunghori&_sop=10
and
HasbroToyShop: https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/-e16280000?catName=

Still, I paid a premium price for these three, but living in Germany there was no cheaper way for me to get them...one German etailer indeed listed this 3-Pack for preorder for 69,90€ (~$81.08). And even if I had gotten a new set, I probably wouldn't have unboxed the figures.
So including shipping I paid a total of $61.97 USD (~54,84€) and I'm so happy to have them that I spontaneously decided to make a review on them!

I tried to upload this review yesterday (Monday) night already, but my internet connection kept crashing. Today it worked and I'm very surprised how the pictures turned out although they were taken in the evening and without daylight. I hope you enjoy this review including the pictures. In order to maintain the high resolution, I uploaded most of them right away and without further edit. Cheers!

Click here for more information on Hasbro's Fans' Choice Poll of 2017:

https://www.starwars.com/news/doctor-aphra-wins-hasbros-star-wars-fan-figure-vote   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*still available online at HasbroToyShop.com as of this post on September 4, 2018.

Product info by Hasbro:

Item will be available for purchase on 8/13. Limit of 2 per household
Item is excluded from any promotions.
Phone orders are not accept for this item

The return of the Vintage Collection! Celebrate the legacy of Star Wars, the action-and-adventure-packed space saga from a galaxy far, far away, with premium, highly-detailed 3.75-inch scale figures and vehicles from Star Wars The Vintage Collection! (Each sold separately. Subject to availability).

Imagine the adventures of the Star Wars comic universe with these Star Wars The Vintage Collection 3.75-inch-scale Doctor Aphra, 0-0-0 (Triple Zero), and BT-1 (Beetee) figures that feature premium deco across multiple points of articulation and design inspired by the Doctor Aphra comics.

• Includes 3 figures and 3 accessories.

• Vintage-inspired packaging with Kenner and Disney branding
• 3.75-inch-scale figures with comic-inspired design
• San Diego Comic Con Exclusive
• Features premium design and multiple points of articulation
• Collect other Star Wars Vintage Collection figures to expand Star Wars collection (Each sold separately)

• Figure scale: 3.75 inches

• Ages 4 and up
• WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD – Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Philipp
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:11:49 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
You can read my comments about this review on the front page.

Definitely a little pricey, but I do agree the quality is amazing. I was surprised I was able to see this one say in stock on multiple days. It is out of stock now, but I wonder if it will show up again before they remove it entirely.

Excellent review!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thank you very much for sharing this one on the frontpage! For 55€ I'm still very happy with these three - so happy that I already started working on the diorama I was planning for them.
I honestly didn't expect to own them that soon - thanks to tunghori! If I lived in the U.S. I would've done the same as you did - buy this set twice! It's just so unreal to actually see them in 3.75" format! I even thought of going to a convention 5 hours drive from here, pay the ticket for access and the price for this set just to get them somehow...but I would've easily ended up at over 120€ for that one.

I'm surprised that Hasbro even removed the set from HTS completely, today. That's quite odd or just a bad coincidence one day after my post...doesn't look like they'll relist it ever again, which is more than sad. I hope everyone in the U.S. who wanted this set got it by now before all the prices on ebay go nuts...

Oh well, so many ideas and so little time...stay tuned for more sooner or later!

Offline ImperialOfficer

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
I'm surprised that Hasbro even removed the set from HTS completely, today. That's quite odd or just a bad coincidence one day after my post...doesn't look like they'll relist it ever again, which is more than sad. I hope everyone in the U.S. who wanted this set got it by now before all the prices on ebay go nuts...
I am frustrated because your review convinced me and as soon as i was about to buy it went out of stock! Oh well, time for ebay...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
@ImperialOfficer: I'm sorry for you and can understand your frustration. HTS had the set in stock for almost a month, don't know about the quantities, but that's pretty long for a SDCC exclusive as far as I know. There was a trick to get the set anyway by adding it to your wishlist on HasbroToyShop. I got this hint on Jeditempleachrives.com.
But since they removed the item from their website completely, that trick doesn't work anymore.
You could write the Customer Service, which is great here in Germany and I'm sure they are in the U.S. as well. Maybe you're lucky and they'll have one left to sell to you. Tell them your story and how disappointed you are to not have gotten one, yet.
If this doesn't work, eBay will be the next option, just be patient and don't overpay for this set. Maybe tunghori still has got them. Send him a PM and ask him ;)

Good luck!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:23:39 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
UPDATE:

Yesterday, I went to the biggest of my local Comic Shops. Haven't been there for over a year!
But as much as I want to support my local Comic Shop, prices are just nuts there. I don't have the extra money to overpay for action figures. Even the Rogue One 4-Pack with Hovertank Pilot got a 44€ / ~$50.40 USD price tag there...over 50 bucks for four 5 POA figures!!

So I did what one does in a Comic Shop: I bought a comic!

And here's what I asked for and they had it:

This is the first of six parts of the Doctor Aphra comic series translated in German. It is printed by Italian publisher Panini and is part of a comic collection that started back in 1999.
Therefore this is issue #98. The second Aphra comic is issue #103 of that collection.
Issue #98 sells for 16,99€ / ~$19.53 USD here in Germany and has 148 pages of "Star Wars Action". I do not regret to have bought this comic. It got a nice story, amazing drawings and is sold for the same price everywhere as long as it is still in stock at Panini.

Its title is: Treasures from the past

I can add more images of the content if you want me to.

And here it is next to Hasbro's 3.75" versions:

Look at and listen to the complete first part of the Doctor Aphra comic series shared by Comicstorian on YouTube: don’t forget to leave a like and subscribe because you probably enjoy what he does as much as I do:

Have a great weekend everyone![/size]

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:35:43 AM by Darth More »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
That is a very interesting figure set I have not seen before.
I like the heavily armed Astromech.
Thank you very much for making such detailed and interesting reviews.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Nice. I so need to get this set in English.

Off to share.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
FialaFernbrugg: This surprises me. Well, now you know this set. Since I don’t put so much effort into editing all my pictures with text anymore, it makes it much easier and quicker for me to share stuff. I’m glad you like my review and I appreciate your feedback!
There are many more reviews to come.

Tamer: Yes, go for it! The general reception of the Doctor Aphra comics is very positive! Good story realized with  awesome drawings and most importantly: good characters! These comics are worth every single penny!

Here is a little preview of what’s expecting you. This is actually the complete first part of the series shared on YouTube and I really like how this guy puts live into all the written lines. I found this even before I bought the comic. This video actually made me want to buy it! Just to warn you...

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:31:33 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Update:

Got an update from my buddies at Noris Force Con, a charity convention taking place in Fürth, Germany this weekend.

They told me the prices of the three exclusive sets available there:

- TVC Doctor Aphra Comic Set - 40€ ( ~$46 USD)
- TBS6 Han Solo & Mynok - 40€ ( ~$46 USD)
- TBS6 Han Solo & Princess Leia Hoth Set - 80€ ( ~$92 USD)

For a second I thought about going there, but the tickets for bus/train and access to the convention itself would’ve been far more expensive.
Rumors say these sets will remain as international convention exclusives as long as surplies last (hope they don’t sell their entire stock just on Noris Con). So I might get the Aphra set new down the road. I’m very surprised about the price though...even with the exchange rate, the Aphra set is sold cheaper here than at SDCC 2018. I hope Hasbro takes notice of the huge success of this set and brings back the Comic Packs.
For now I’m just happy to have gotten them from tunghori for 50 bucks (and he still has them).

Read all details about Noris Force Con after the jump: (no worries I pre-set it in English):

http://www.norisforcecon.de/noris-force-con-5-2017/nfc5-english-summary/

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:30:45 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Good stuff. I have got to find the time to order this comic set.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Update: I added pictures of the international packaging above.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
GameStop Germany had the Doctor Aphra 3 Pack. And that's not all! They reduced it from 64,99€ to only 29,99€!! Unfortunately it' s sold out almost everywhere...but this was a great deal!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:18:39 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Glad it made it over there. It is a nice set. Gonna have to have the six inch version too.