Author Topic: Clonehead's custom figures #2  (Read 110654 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's custom figures #2
« Reply #885 on: March 25, 2020, 03:43:22 AM »
Thank you much fellers, construction workers are still essential so I’m not on lockdown and am still working. I found enough time yesterday to paint on these parts some more. I still have a ways to go but, I’m working on it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #886 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:05 AM »
Clint, that is look awesome. Man, bet you are smiling over this one.

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #887 on: March 25, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
Ooo very nice!

I think flesh color looks better using matte paint IMO. I like to use a darker pigment as base, then dry brsuh two to three layers of lighter shades to get the right pigment :)

That airbourne helmet looks so good! Do you have a link to where u got it?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #888 on: March 25, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
Ooo very nice!

I think flesh color looks better using matte paint IMO. I like to use a darker pigment as base, then dry brsuh two to three layers of lighter shades to get the right pigment :)

oh, it was Matt paint. Not a good mix was part of the problem. Don’t let your paint settle, folks. I had started with a light primer coat and then black on the recessed areas, shaping of the eyes, eyelids, lips, and working out from there. I’m admittedly rusty and I was having issues and have globbed several layers on top of each other at this point. My matt varnish isn’t doing much to knock the sheen down. I’ll have to try shooting some at it with the airbrush. That takes the matt varnish I use to a whole new level of flat.
    I got the solid one on eBay although I can cast it myself now. The hollow version is all me. Casting those also.

Here is a link to that original purge trooper helmeted head auction from mos eisly casting
Star Wars Airborne/Purge Trooper 1:12 Scale 6" Black Series Action Figure head   https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233500480587
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:20:09 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #889 on: March 25, 2020, 05:44:29 PM »
Looking good - that paint job is great! (I'll be curious to see how the airbrush technique works).

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #890 on: March 25, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »
Looking good - that paint job is great! (I'll be curious to see how the airbrush technique works).
im sure it will help, something about the atomization of the mist or the spacing of the particles, I don’t know but the last time I shot
That stuff, it dried three or four times flatter than if I had brushed it on thickly. It’s quick to set up and shoot, it’s the cleanup that is the unfavorable chore. It makes a guy want to schedule a larger spray job to warrant the cleanup.
  I want to brush some more color and detail on this guy first, then we will try it. I could always re gloss his eyeballs with a brush.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:14:46 PM by Clonehead »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #891 on: March 25, 2020, 07:23:15 PM »
That is a great helmet casting. The headsculpt is awesome too, I like the mohawk. It reminds me I've been wanting to make a Taxi Driver Rebel trooper.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #892 on: March 25, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
That is a great helmet casting. The headsculpt is awesome too, I like the mohawk. It reminds me I've been wanting to make a Taxi Driver Rebel trooper.
thanks man! I like the taxi driver idea
Still working on him

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #893 on: March 25, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
Ooo very nice!

oh, it was Matt paint. Not a good mix was part of the problem. Don’t let your paint settle, folks. I had started with a light primer coat and then black on the recessed areas, shaping of the eyes, eyelids, lips, and working out from there. I’m admittedly rusty and I was having issues and have globbed several layers on top of each other at this point. My matt varnish isn’t doing much to knock the sheen down. I’ll have to try shooting some at it with the airbrush. That takes the matt varnish I use to a whole new level of flat.
    I got the solid one on eBay although I can cast it myself now. The hollow version is all me. Casting those also.

Here is a link to that original purge trooper helmeted head auction from mos eisly casting
Star Wars Airborne/Purge Trooper 1:12 Scale 6" Black Series Action Figure head   https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233500480587

lol bummer

I haven't done any removable helmets for my clones yet cuz i think the acrylic that I use will just wear every time i remove the helmet.

Any suggestions?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #894 on: March 26, 2020, 07:03:39 AM »
Great eye work Clint. Man you make it look simple.

Back to the front pages.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #895 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
Damn! That head is nice work!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #896 on: March 27, 2020, 03:44:38 AM »
Mauldalorian, I have noticed that after enough untouched drying time, like three days, that the Vallejo stuff toughens up a bit. I use the matt varnish to attempt to seal it up some but the best way, is to have enough helmet clearance, not always possible

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I’m taking baby steps here. It’s been a while since I did a figure.

Chuckles, I’m not done but I’m having fun.
  I’m working on that other eye for this clone. The important part to achieve at this scale especially, is to have those pupils pointed in the same direction so he doesn’t look odd.
 I’m trying to follow the direction of his eyebrows to dictate the eye shape a little bit. I need to close up that left one a little on the bottom and clean up those lower lids and I may call him close to done. I hadn’t worked any more on the helmet yet.

Starchaser, with a better shaking, the varnish seems to be working better with a brush now. I still haven’t coated the new eye side yet. Perhaps shooting a layer of that stuff on afterwards might create a tougher seal as well because of the more evenly shot coat.
  It almost looks like he has jaundice, like a newborn, in those shots. Practice makes perfect, I guess. I’m looking forward to painting my next head now. I think somethings wrong with me.
  Yes, I have been working on this one in the kitchen. It’s hungry work, you know.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:53:12 AM by Clonehead »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #897 on: March 27, 2020, 03:47:06 AM »
He's looking great! Are you going to make him an Airborne Trooper? I think you should do 501st markings on him. They had a 3.75" 501st Airborne trooper that saw limited release. Would be cool to see a 6"!
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #898 on: March 27, 2020, 03:56:14 AM »
He's looking great! Are you going to make him an Airborne Trooper? I think you should do 501st markings on him. They had a 3.75" 501st Airborne trooper that saw limited release. Would be cool to see a 6"!
thanks man! You know, I was looking at a pic of that figure just yesterday. That would be a really cool paint scheme to do. I think that one was in a Target order 66 set, packaged with Vader

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #899 on: March 27, 2020, 04:17:47 AM »
I found these shots of a 501st Galactic Marine that I had done in my first custom Figure thread on page 29
  That was 11 years ago, folks, in 2009.

That thread is locked, btw
We had compressed it and locked it down sometime in the past to save room. I hadn’t looked around in there for some time.

That 501st Airborne trooper idea is growing on me

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=189.420
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:57:47 AM by Clonehead »