Author Topic: Darth More's Modular Dioramas: Mos Eisley  (Read 37835 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Legion078's Dioramas and Models
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 04:24:13 AM »
And here you see that you can move the doors in the frame perfectly, although tje frames are made out of wood...I thought of doing them out of aluminum, later, but that had not been suitable to the wood doors...

Perhaps I will  put a painted styrofoam cover on the right side of the frames so that the frame covers the door when it's opened...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 04:40:27 AM »
In the last picture of the previous post you can see that the buidling on A2 has got a little chamber on its roof...In the pictures below you will see that it's even possible to include a door in such small buildings, too...Although you are not able to move the doors from side to side like you am at the larger frames, but you can move the doors up and down to open and to close them.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2010, 04:41:30 AM »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2010, 04:46:58 AM »
For further questions depending how to build the doors or for a request of getting the shapes I used, please, write me. Of course you can write me for questions of every topic I posted.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:11 AM »
At the moment I concentrate on all the details I have planned for this diorama like the dump and the droid-trade outside or the laborious furniture inside the buildings...

Here is a little tutorial how I made the two awnings of building B2:

I used the cloak of TPM which is included in the Tatooine Accessory set of 1999. (It's a pity that Hasbro stopped producing those great accessory sets since 2002).

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2010, 05:41:19 AM »
For doing two awnings out of one cloak you need the following component parts:

-cutter-knife (a whole set available in each model making store for about 10 Euro/8$)
-cloth (e.g. Qui-Gon Jinn's cloak)
-6 toothpicks (or similar wood sticks)
-sewing cotton (accordant to the colors of the cloth you use...)
-needle (not too long)
(-)pair of scissors

First you have to cut the cloak in two halves and remove the four buttons Hasbro sewed on it.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2010, 06:04:36 AM »
Now, you have to sew the toothpicks (or similar wood sticks) carefully onto the cloth. Please consider that there is a little part of each wood stick jutting out of the cloth so that you can sting the awning into your styrofoam wall, later.

Then you're finished with the awnings (see second picture).
Fix the single parts where you want to on the buildings...and it looks great!

FOR CHILDREN, BE CAREFUL by doing the steps I explained to you by now. When you work with sharp instruments like cutter-knifes or scissors or when you sew different parts, please, ASK YOUR PARENTS FOR HELP!! You'll see you get a great achievement together!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »
By now I built three chairs for the U-buidling suitable to the table I made out of wood.

The chairs are made out of styrofoam and wood and are painted with Revell's beamless 84 (leatherbrown), semi gloss 381 (light brown) and semi gloss 374 (grey).
Take a look at the models of a chair I invented by myself. So the model you can see below is not an original one of the movies. By the way it's quite hard to find some furniture of the original movies. The only examples you can find in Episode I, II, IV, V and VI, but most of them are in the Cantina or in Jabba's palace.
I will do my best to build a lot of further different models of furniture suitable for a Tatooine diorama...

And I am sure you also have some ideas how they should look like and  how to build them. Let me know if you do so, please...

1. Cut out a piece of styrofoam (3x2.5x3 cm)
2. Cut three big pieces out of balsa wood (6x1x0.1 cm)
3. Cut out the little pieces of balsa wood for the decor of the chair's bottom
4. After glueing the parts together you can paint the chair(s) (I painted them in the three colors accordant to the building's floor and the table)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2010, 06:58:53 AM »
Great fabrication skills, Man! I love that awning build up. Watching your skills in action is inspiring.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2010, 07:07:52 AM »
In the beginning of this project I was wondering if there are plants on Tatooine...Of course I read the story of Tatooine, then, on Wookiepedia. Also in the movie of Episde IV "A new Hope" you can see some smaller plants growing on the hills round Mos Eisley, but I ask myself if there are enough plants to guarantee the oxygen supply...after the Czerca Corporation had controlled most of the mines on Tatooine they left the planet, when the raw material was gone...What they left are the Sandcrawlers which were occupied by the Jawas, later...

The Tusken Raiders, Tatooine's original inhabitants, began a war with the new invaders called Rakata and even banished them from Tatooine. But the Rakata gave them a fast reaction and bombed Tatooines surface with nuclear warheads so Tatooine has been radioactively contaminated for a long time...Additionally the two suns over Tatooine dried the planet out over the next years...

If you want to read on about Tatooine history, visit Wookiepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tatooine

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2010, 07:20:39 AM »
But anyway, it's obvious that different plants shouldn't be missed on Tatooine...

So here is a first model of an artificial plant set in a cup of a sharpener. The cup is painted with Revell's anthracite (beamless 9).

I will go to a flower's shop the next days and will buy some further artificial desert plants...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2010, 07:25:23 AM »
You can see that a little touch of green and brown is making a desert diorama  livelier...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2010, 07:31:52 AM »
Ah...I sat for the whole day to post all the pictures you can view from page 4 to page 6...But I am very happy that I passed this little challenge of managing one GB of pictures...The achievement now is the time worth...There is hardly anything nicer than sitting here at my desk...writing to you, expanding the tutorials how I made this little diorama and listening to my favorite band: LINKIN PARK ;D

Stay tuned for further pictures this evening...but a friend of mine just called me that he found some new figures in a local store...I will go to hunt them down.

See you later...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »
This is coming along great! Love all the small details you have thought out and executed so well. The plants are a great touch, looks just like donky's tail , the common name for the suculant.

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
lp bleed it out is the best and the new one is too , great dio