Author Topic: NFL 2010  (Read 18055 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: NFL 2010
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »
I honestly believe this football season may be the most lack luster in years.

I hate to admit it, but I think you're right.  With the looming threat of a lockout coming up, I think players are all too focused on the coming future.  I just hope people pay attention and learn what a lockout is over a strike, and put the blame on the right people.  The owners want a BILLION dollars back in cash from the players, want the players themselves to pay for practice facilities, and want the players to pay for their own travel to away games.  Jerry Jones spent a billion dollars on his monstrosity of a stadium, and wants money BACK?  The good part of this is, so far, that teams are voting on disbarring the Union.  Unions are not permitted under law to take any legal action against the owners directly.  By disbarring their Union, which is not getting rid of them entirely, it frees the players up so that they can individually sue the owners of the NFL for locking them out.  It puts the power back into the players hands and levels the playing field.  This is why I hate professional sports.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:05 AM »
Did you see those two rookies that the Chiefs had playing last week. Man, those dudes were hot. Defense looked good and the running game was greatly improved. I just don't know about cassel though. He tends to hang onto the ball to long.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 11:57:23 AM »
I actually drafted a KC player this year, Dwayne Bowe. I have him on the bench this week, but think I am gonna regret that. Looks like Dennis Dixon is now out and the third QB Batch is in. Daggone its gonna be a long season.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »
I feel I need to weigh in here on the whole Vick thing, and while it's my view of the facts, it still bothers me how pious and hypocritical people are.  And no, I'm absolutely NOT taking a shot at anyone here, honest!

People want Vick hung in the Town Square for all to spit on his dead body, yet very few actually spent the time to listen and read the actual reports on what happened.  While he is absolutely not without blame, most people's views on him are skewed because they just didn't listen.  Vick never actually participated in any dog fighting.  His crime was owning the property it was done on, and knowing about it but not stopping it.  Again, not without blame, but that is a very major point that most people never knew about.  I'm not going to try to make excuses for him, because it's not my place to.  However, the main culprit, who got away with it scott free entirely, was his cousin.  Family bonds being what they are, I can kind of see why Vick took the fall for his cousin.  Furthermore, this took place during a time when all of a sudden, the lawyers and courts were going after any and all celebrities to make a name for themselves.  See, it worked out wonderfully for the lawyers during the O.J. trial, and since then, lawyers and judges have been trying to duplicate that fame and success.  Hell, just last week, "Snooki" or whatever her name is from Jersey Shore was arrested and fined for being topless on a beach in Jersey, that according to locals, happens all the time, and there were MANY others doing the same at that exact same time she was arrested.  Why was she arrested?  Because she's hot news.  Why was Vick arrested and prosecuted and not his cousin?  Because his cousin isn't news.  Then take his Birthday party last year.  Vick's wife threw the party, his cousin showed up and started acting like the thug he is and fired off his gun, so instead of trying to make a bad situation worse, he got in his car with his wife and bodyguard and left his own party and home, yet they want to once again flay him alive.

The hypocritical part of all this is this:  Let's take a look at Ray Lewis.  Does anyone out there remember when he was on trial for MURDER?  Where he got off on a techincality?  The Prosecution had enough evidence to put him away, and a small techincal error freed him, and now he's loved and respected in the NFL because he's a hard hitter.  SO, according to the public opinion, dogs are more highly regarded and valued than humans.  And don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover! 

Vick stood up and acted like a man.  He did have implicit guilt in the whole thing and took his medicine.  He served his time, and I do believe his full time, not the usual BS they hand out to celebs.  He paid the price of his family loyalty, and now he's back.  And like Mandalore the Skepsis said, I think he gives Philly a playoff shot WAY over that Kolb piece of crap.  Hell, did you see the numbers?  -3 Passing yards by Kolb in the first half.  Vick brought them back from an 18 point deficit to within one touchdown in one half of play.  Not bad.

I loved Vick when he was with Atlanta, and took it kinda hard when he got into his mess.  Even knowing the fact, I was still disappointed and glad I didn't buy that Vick jersey I had in my shopping cart.  But I also believe in second chances, for the most part.  Murderers and child molesters?  Not so much.  But if Ray Lewis can play happily in the NFL in all his glory, why can't we let Vick have his second chance and cheer him on to do great?

Sorry for my tirade.  I honestly have no idea why this topic gets to me so much!

No worries P....pretty much embodied what I was talking about. The murder I was talking about was Lewis and Stallworth.
What Vick did, was and is horrible, but I'm sure he isn't the only one who did what he did. But it doesn't make it right at all and in fact I believe he got what he deserved.

Lewis got off on a technicality, which only proves how flawed our gov and law services are.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 05:34:56 AM »
Agreed.  I'm also not saying Vick shouldn't have gotten in trouble, but the fact is he served his time and is now a free man, just like any other.  And whether Philly or Reid want to admit it, he's their best shot at winning.  Kolb's a joke!

On other notes, my Bears played very well yesterday.  Besides the fact that I can't STAND Dallas (America's team my ass!), it shows that the Bears are definitely a better team than last year so far...

The Manning Bowl was kinda lopsided, eh?  Peyton, as usual, decided that outcome from the start, and looked like a well oiled machine!  Once again, Coghlin and Eli looked like they were gonna cry the whole game.  Good, I'm not a fan of them Giant's either!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
I saw that the Bears and KC got another win. I also think its great that teams they say don't stand a chance win every week. Just like my Steelers! It was pretty great to see Tomlin practically tell all the media off by counting off the Steelers every week. Ofcourse I don't know what our QB situation is, cmon Ben we just have to get through two weeks! Next week vs Tampa Bay doesn't look like its gonna be an easy one.

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
Agreed.  I'm also not saying Vick shouldn't have gotten in trouble, but the fact is he served his time and is now a free man, just like any other.  And whether Philly or Reid want to admit it, he's their best shot at winning.  Kolb's a joke!

I agree if the beagles want too make the playoffs or at least have a winning record, VICK is the guy.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »
Yeah, except the "beagles" are already pulling a Bears/Lovie Smith and have already said that Kolb is starting next week, not Vick.  Too bad, because Vick is putting up MONSTER numbers for me in all of my Fantasy leagues.

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:49 AM »
Yeah, except the "beagles" are already pulling a Bears/Lovie Smith and have already said that Kolb is starting next week, not Vick.  Too bad, because Vick is putting up MONSTER numbers for me in all of my Fantasy leagues.

Yeah I saw this last night....another EPIC FAIL from the Reid bonehead association.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »
Its about like the Steelers firing Leftwich only to bring him back this week. Does anyone realize he was hurt which was why they fired him?!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:28 PM »
Well Pat, looks like Vick gets the start after all! Ried just had a change of heart for some reason. LOL.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
thank God! Now, I just hope his sensibility will hold through the weekend!

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
Well Pat, looks like Vick gets the start after all! Ried just had a change of heart for some reason. LOL.

I think he had a change of...oh shit this is my last year if I dont freaking WIN!!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Well I am now feeling quite happy with my Steeler victory over the Ravens after just pretty much blowing it in the first half. Now do I think we can get past the Patriots, no way, but you know what they say about any given Sunday and the Ravens always have been a pain in our side. It is no wonder we have had two Lombardi trophies since that team has hit the league.

It looks like GB is giving the Falcons fits right now, but for now I am just gonna enjoy a hard fought win. Daggone, I know I got a few more grey hairs after the game tonight. Hats off to the Ravens for pretty much blowing us out the first half, I had pretty much resigned myself to loosing the game. Like I said before, I do believe this is as far as we get, whoever wins the AFC game tomorrow, but it feels good right now to have played to the potential I think we have.

I am envisioning a GB vs. NE superbowl and think it will be the best and closest superbowl we have ever had.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »
Boy, I am NOT happy this Post Season.  So far, of the games I actually cared about, I'm 0-for-3 with picks.  I wanted Indy to beat the Jets, Philly to beat the Seahags, and the Falcons to beat Green Bay (Sorry Wayne!)  So I guess now I need to root for the Seahags to beat my Bears so that my trend can continue and my Bears go on.  Being a Chicago fan all my life, I want the Bears to beat the snot out of Green Bay, but I gotta be honest, the Pack are actually looking good.  Hell, the Falcons under Matt Ryan are 20-2 at home, with those 2 losses coming almost 2 years apart!  Yet Rodgers went in there tonight and hung 45 (at last look) on them like it was nothing.  Sadly, and while I hate to admit it, I'm looking at a Packers/Patriots Super Bowl, and that will be a travesty since I don't want either team to win.  It WOULD be pretty sweet to see a Bears/Patriots Super Bowl, a repeat 25 years in the making!