Author Topic: Vintage 2010 Darth Vader  (Read 6432 times)

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
Re: Vintage 2010 Darth Vader
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
They need to definitely make a kneeling Vader Hologram and also spirit of Ob-Wan with his hood on to go with my Hoth/Tauntaun scene.

I think the best a guy could hope for, in regards to a kneeling hologram Vader, would be a holographic type figure articulated well enough to pull off the desired pose.

As for a spirit of Obi-Wan, would a figure done up akin to the spirit of Anakin in the TAC be up to your standard?  I could see this one happening.

Someone above mentioned a ball jointed neck for a Vader.  There actually is a couple ball joint type necks on at least two Vader releases.  Rather than a true ball joint, the joint used enabled the head to look up and down as well as side to side.  Hasbro abandoned this joint with the various removable helmet versions.  It wasn't a bad joint though.  It really offered all the movement ever seen in the films as we never saw Darth Vader cocking his head to the side.  Matter of fact I doubt the prop mask would have even allowed such movement.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
I think the perfect Vader would also have some lights in his breathing apparatus on his chest.
I was just looking at some pictures of some figures and I have perfect examples of too much articulation. The new Clone Wars Aayla Secura and the new Slave Leia figure. Mainly the arms. The elbow joints are ugly, no way to hide them.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »
I think the perfect Vader would also have some lights in his breathing apparatus on his chest.

My first thought was that it would be awfully tough to fit all the required electronics into the figure's torso.  Giving it some additional thought, it could probably be done.  There has been some precedent for this type of feature with light up lightsabers on a few of the POTF2 figures from the 90s.  Plus, we've had a couple versions of R2-D2 with electronic features.  Still, the larger builds of the 90s figures, not to mention R2-D2's barrel shape in itself, provided more space to house the stuff.  Yeah, I think it could be done.  We probably wouldn't see it in the basic figure price range though.  It might be a cool enough feature the price could be justified in the minds of a lot of buyers.  I'd get it.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »
Yeah, I am gonna try to learn how to do the whole LED light thing cuz the other custom besides a light up Vader I want to try would be Thrawn with glowing red eyes. I think the problem with the LED's is the power source. Maybe if you can attach the figure to a base and wire all the lights to a single power source it wouldn't take up  alot of room in the figure itself. I'm sure the batteries is the biggest part. I just think that with all the technology we have to be able to create toys that lets us levitate stuff with our brain, why can't we get some light up lightsabers?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »
I hear you on the LED thing. The smallest LEDs I have still need watch batteries to run em.
  You guys were talking about leds in that Vader. Here is a TAC Vader that I used neon paint on to light up his chest and belt controls with as well as his lightsaber. Of course you need the presence of a black light to really get em to glow.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
Sweeet!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
I love the idea of a kneeling holographic vader too. When I saw that light up Cortana I said now there is the example for all other holographics to follow no matter what the line. I am a little disappointed that the avatar line didn't use some of that.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 08:26:03 PM »
Cool Light up Vader. I use a black light In my display cuz it makes some of the lightsabers look real. Mostly the 90's figures,can't think of the name of the line. I think it was around Attack of the Clones that those lightsabers quit glowing black-light wise. The 1st figures they came out with LED's in the lightsaber were just too big and Ob-Wan had a green one. Wish they would try it again. I never seen the Halo figure light up, but I can tell that is how I want a Star Wars hologram to look like. Maybe we should come up with a good Hasbro Q&A question about light up figures?

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »
I actually stuck a few surface mount LED's in the holographic table that came with the animated ADMIRAL YULAREN figure.  All you need for simple LED lighting is a power source, the LEDs  and some resistors so you don't supply too much current, or blind yourself--you'd be surprised how bright an un-current-impeded surface mount LED can get.   :o  The biggest pain in the butt is that you're working with stuff that's so dang small.  (Oh and you need solder and a soldering iron--kind of important.)

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »
Never got a luke vader...though would have loved one.

A holo vader would be ideal imho.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
I think I asked a Q and  A question about the light up Holo Vader and used the McFarlane Cortana as the basis for it and they pretty much said it was an idea, but not much else.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 07:12:02 PM »
I think I asked a Q and  A question about the light up Holo Vader and used the McFarlane Cortana as the basis for it and they pretty much said it was an idea, but not much else.

Basically meaning, that they want too do it, but want to wait for a price hike to make it more expensive and some kind of exclusive.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »

Basically meaning, that they want too do it, but want to wait for a price hike to make it more expensive and some kind of exclusive.

Thats the idea I got from it too. I was hoping we would see it as this years SDCC or CV exclusive, but no luck.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »

From reviews I've read on the Cortana figure, I've gotten that it works so well because of the lack of joints.  With all the clamoring for increased articulation among fans of the Star Wars lines, perhaps Hasbro thinks it would be a dud.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »

From reviews I've read on the Cortana figure, I've gotten that it works so well because of the lack of joints.  With all the clamoring for increased articulation among fans of the Star Wars lines, perhaps Hasbro thinks it would be a dud.

I guess that could be true, but Hasbro usually jumps at the chance to give us something that lacks articulation!