Author Topic: TCW at-rt with arf trooper  (Read 15830 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
TCW at-rt with arf trooper
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »
has anyone purchased this yet?  I almost got one today but I have some reservations about the walker...

mainly I am not going to get this until I know how posable the walker is.  It looked to me from looking at it in the store that it only has articulated points at the hip and ankle on the walker.  If this is the case, I'm going to have to pass unless I find it cheap on sale somewhere.  I most definately would like to have one for customizing...

If anyone can get ahold of one of these I'd realy like to know what you think of it.  I havn't seen or heard anything about this pack and almost grabbed it just because of that....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: TCW at-rt with arf trooper
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:34:41 AM »
yeah, I forgot to mention that it does look to be an entirely new sculpt. 

I know for sure that it isn't motorized.

the box said "articulated legs" but failed to point out just exactly WHERE they were articulated...

Also, from only looking at the unopened box I couldn't tell if the arf trooper was the same as the single carded version... I couldn't tell if it still had ball jointed hips, but I would asume it did.

I would realy like some verification on this package...  I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting it...

Offline clonemedic96

• Captain
  • "Hey Sev, This one looks like your mother."-Scorch
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
it'd be nice if they released an ARF with a removable helmet

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »
You know, after you pointed out the "articulate legs" as is called out on the package I looked at my old ROTS ATRT and you are right. It is a different sculpt and the three visible joints on the legs do look different, inside and out. There is no mention of the motorized action of  the old ROTS release on the package either.
This has me excited that they truly gave us an articulated ATRT.
As far as ARF troopers with a removable helmet. Hasbro has mentioned making some of the characters from the "Landing at Point Rain" episode in the future. We can only hope that they make the Waxer and Boil from that episode with removable ARF helmets.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
well, I've pretty much talked myself into getting this... I'll grab it tonight maybe and if I do I'll write a definitive review over it.

Offline CloneCommander Buy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
can't wait for the review. I will get one of these when I find one. had the chance to get the ROTS ATRT  6 months ago, screwed up and waited to long.

How much  is this one?  and where did you see it?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »
Ok, I broke down and got it today.
Wal-mart still had just one, It was the only one I saw the previous day as well (honestly I was surprised it was still there).  It was hanging with the other "mini rig" packs including an anikin with desert skiff speeder, obi-wan and freeco bike, dooku and geonosian speeder, as well as a barc speeder I believe.

I grabbed this on my way to work today and had about 10minutes before I had to clock in by the time I got there so I went on and opened it up in the parking lot in my car to see what the deal with the legs were... I wasn't surprised but I'll admit I was disapointed.  I was hoping for at least 3 points of articulation on the legs, but there is only two. (I'll get back to that).

Once I got it home I pulled everything out.  again, this one comes with a nice little diorama cardboard backdrop.  This one is of a whole legion of battledroids in the background on geonosis.  As usual it was a battle with the packaging to get it out and not destroy the backdrop in the process, I'm sure that parents of young star wars fans are cursing hasbro for this rediculous packaging!  Seriously, it could be done so that it comes apart much better....

There is only one piece to the at-rt that needed "assymbly".  The antenaes on the back are disconected from the walker and snap into a hole behind the seat.  I was thinking I might have to glue the antenae in but it was surprisingly secure once snapped in place.

The next thing I did was check the arf trooper.  He's still got the ball jointed hips (which was a relief as I was a little worried).  I feel like hasbro actually did some thinking ahead when making the arf trooper and had planned this set all along, and thus was the reason for going on and making all the arf troopers with the ball jointed hips.  The figure fits beautifully on the walker, it couldn't work any better.  This is a major improvement over other vehicles in this set that I've seen.  We all have seen the problems with the dewback and sandtrooper....

More in a little bit (with pictures...)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
ok, now lets scrutinize the walker itself a little bit.

The walker is realy well built actually, like I said it's very sturdy.  the paint apps are very clean and crisp. It looks exactly how it does in the clone wars episodes.  It has some arubesh writing on both sides of the walker, if anyone could translate it I'd appreciate it (I'm not fluent in arubesh! gasp! I know.... :( ). 

As for the articulation on the walker itself.  The handlebars pivot up and down at their base, this makes posing the rider very nice, giving it multiple driving poses.  The chin gun swivels 360 degrees as well as pivots up and down.  The legs are articulated at the "hips" and at the "ankles."
I would have liked to see at least ONE more point of articulation in the "knees."  You can sortof pose this thing in the "running" position but it hardly stands up. 

pictures:

more thoughts on improvements:
Something else I would have REALY liked to have seen would have been ball joints at the hips instead of the standard swivel.  This would have greatly increased it's posability.  I would have liked to see it be able to pose on one leg, with the current articulation there is no way that is possible.  Seeing the walker as it runs in the episode you can see the feet are falling almost dead center beneath the vehicle as well, this just isn't possible with the toy.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
synopsis:

packaging: 5/10
(dificult to open, cardboard insert pretty useless as the walker with rider stands taller than the cardboard backdrop)

arf trooper pack in: 9.5/10
(I still think that the arf trooper is THE BEST TCW clone figure yet.  If it had a removable helmet it'd be perfect.)

Walker's Paint apps: 9/10
(I think they are spot on, the symbols and the slight weathering looks strait out of the series)

walker's construction: 8/10
(I think a little more care could have been put into the articulation of the legs, other than that it's perfect)

posability: 6/10
(limited articulation in the walker's legs limits the posible poses it's capable of.  However, the rider fits so well on the walker that he can actually be posed in several ddifferent "riding" postures)

overall:  8/10
Overall I think this is a realy realy good toy.  I was disapointed that it didn't have more points of articulation but I also expected that in this smaller scale.  The toy's construction is perfect.  I actually tried removing the legs at the hip joint and although I was able to pop them out it took ALOT of force.  kids are going to have a hard time breaking this one. 
The lacking articulation is probably so that it will hold up to child's play better.  I honestly think if it had the articulation similar to the at-st that kids would break it very quickly.

The price is a little steep though, at 15.99 I realy expected more.  I think 10.00 would have been a better price for all of these mini-rig sets honestly...
Well... I hope I answered everyone's questions.  Be expecting to see this thing get a majoy customizing overhaul as soon as I finish my current project! I already have an idea in mind on how to fix the articulation....

droidbait

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »
i still haven't got a ARF trooper lol but the walker is pretty nicely detailed

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:56 AM »
oh I forgot to mention something, looking back at the images I posted reminded me of this...

the chin guns of BOTH the at-rt and my chicken walker are bent from being in the package.  This is very frustrating for me.  I know tht with a little boiling in hot water bent clone wars guns accessories can be straitened out but how in the world am I suposed to fix these?

I understand that hasbro is using the softer rubbery plastic on these parts because it prevents kids from breaking the delicate parts, as they would easily do if they were more brittle plastic...  But for collectors, who open their stuff and put it on display, a bent gun like this is agrivating...

it's the little things like that that bother me as an adult collector...

again, for kids, NO PROBLEM, for me... I'm expecting more.

Offline RedLeaderOne (00fire501)

• Star Wars YouTuber
  • Commander
  • I Love Talking Star Wars
    • Star Wars RedLeaderOne YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 04:46:42 AM »
I like the look of this walker, can't wait to get one or tw0 or more of those.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:52:08 AM »
Thanks for the review, Spud! I had been wondering about this one. Too bad about the articulation. They could have added one more joint in there.
ok, now lets scrutinize the walker itself a little bit.

The walker is realy well built actually, like I said it's very sturdy.  the paint apps are very clean and crisp. It looks exactly how it does in the clone wars episodes.  It has some arubesh writing on both sides of the walker, if anyone could translate it I'd appreciate it (I'm not fluent in arubesh! gasp! I know.... :( ). 

As for the articulation on the walker itself.  The handlebars pivot up and down at their base, this makes posing the rider very nice, giving it multiple driving poses.  The chin gun swivels 360 degrees as well as pivots up and down.  The legs are articulated at the "hips" and at the "ankles."
I would have liked to see at least ONE more point of articulation in the "knees."  You can sortof pose this thing in the "running" position but it hardly stands up. 

pictures:

more thoughts on improvements:
Something else I would have REALY liked to have seen would have been ball joints at the hips instead of the standard swivel.  This would have greatly increased it's posability.  I would have liked to see it be able to pose on one leg, with the current articulation there is no way that is possible.  Seeing the walker as it runs in the episode you can see the feet are falling almost dead center beneath the vehicle as well, this just isn't possible with the toy.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:03 AM »
great review devin ,very  thorough
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clone_General_1977

• Commander