Author Topic: A few customizing questions  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
A few customizing questions
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:26:20 PM »
Just got a few customizing questions, as I'm a bit stumped here. I talked to Trevor on Skype for a bit, and he helped me with the first question. I'm just posting here to get a general consensus of what to do.

1:  I was on ebay and saw a custom of an Action Fleet Clone Wars Y-Wing. I know its gonna go for a lot of cash, and the shipping alone is $24 and change. I figure I can make my own for cheaper. Trev recommended I use styrene sheet and fill in the gaps. I didn't get to ask Trev but how durable is it? Would I just glue it to the Y-Wing when filling in the gaps?

2:  If I want to paint an Action Fleet TIE Fighter with the classic shade of blue, what shade of blue do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help!
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: A few customizing questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
ok.  sheet styrene comes in alot of different thicknesses and types.

most of the realy thin stuff is pretty sturdy, it will snap if bent to far instead of deforming.

thicker stuff usually is what is called "foamcore" and is basically a plastic sandwich, with two very thin but rigid outer sections and a thick inner section made up of a pourous plastic which is softer but just as sturdy.  This foam core stuff holds super glue REALY well and I use it on alot of my larger customs.

MOST people will go the easy rout and go to wal mart or lowes or any other home improvement store and get the cheap "for sale" signs, they are made of sheet styrene plastic.

I prefer factory grade styrene sheet because it is uniform and plain white.  you can order it online from lots of different places, just do a google search for "sheet styrene plastics".

as for the blue tie fighter... idk, look at some reference pics and then pick the best color that matches it visually... I'm horrible at matching colors.

OH... and do you know for certain that the e-bay custom TCW y-wing isn't a reworked star wars transformer?  If I were doing the custom I'd probably find one of the y-wings from the transformer's line, glue all the parts shut and then fill in the cracks and repaint it....  it'd be simpler that way. (although it might be slightly too large or mispropoortioned...)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »
I'm not sure if TCW Y-Wing is from a reworked star wars transformer. I'll post a link to the guys ebay store.

Trev recommended I use a 1mm size. I'm not sure on measuring and whatnot, I'm horrible with that lol.

Here's the guys ebay store:  http://shop.ebay.com/osokenoby18/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:17:35 AM »
It has to be something else because they haven't made any action fleet in probably 10 years. So it has to be a custom, possibly a scam. I'd be careful on that one.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:20:03 AM »
$24.50 shipping? Wow.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:31:27 AM »
yeah, where's he live? Tattoine?$24.50 seems a bit steep. Looks like he took an action fleet Y-Wing and used some kind of bondo or something. That's what I want to know, what stuff people are using to make these ships?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »
Looks too precise to me to be bondo. I agree with you guys in that this is probably a reworked SW transformer. He can't be trying to pass off a titanium as an action fleet, can he?

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
Looks too precise to me to be bondo. I agree with you guys in that this is probably a reworked SW transformer. He can't be trying to pass off a titanium as an action fleet, can he?

I doubt its a titanium. I can tell because the astromech used is from the Gold Leader Y-Wing. Plus the ship fits perfectly on the stand. The titanium Y-Wing would just fall off.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:22:55 AM by Goldleaderone »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »
upon close inspection I do believe that the ship is a modified standard action fleet y-wing.  It looks like it's been built up with sheet styrene or some other plastic pieces to bring it to the look of a TCW y-wing.

if you look at the engine pods, the cockpit canopy, and the still exposed rear end on the middle section you'll see the points I was using for comparison against a regular y-wing.

I wouldn't purchase this if I were any of you guys though, it always bothers me when people are selling customs like this and use the same picture for two different listings and then do not describe the item very well at all.  They don't even point out that it is a custom, the just call it a "star wars action fleet THE CLONE WARS Y-WiNG"...  I don't trust it....

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
All his auction titles say custom, also in the description it says "Manufacturer: Custom Made" lol. I checked his feedback for the hellof it, all 78 are positives.

But yea, back on topic. So styrene sheet would be the best option here?

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
yeah, I seen people making their own ships out of styrene, but what do they use to fill the gags. That seems to be a "secret."

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
I use a product called "apoxi sculpt" it's a two part self hardening sculpting compound that sculpts and feels like clay, but you mix two equal parts together (one base, and one hardener) and after around 12 hours it hardens.

I use it for sculpting, and filling in the gaps between parts.

I've also seen people use something called "green stuff" which works on the same principle.

I bought a 1 pound set of apoxi sculpt almost a year ago and have yet to use all of it...  on small projects like figures and vehicles the stuff will last you a long time.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:36 AM »
Thanks man. I am looking for some stuff to fill in the gaps on some figures too. I seen it once on some website, (can't remember where now), where this guy was posing his figures in the position he wants them, then he was filling in the gaps with something? and then he was painting them. It hid all signs of articulation. That is what I am wanting to do, make my figures look more real.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
Thanks man. I am looking for some stuff to fill in the gaps on some figures too. I seen it once on some website, (can't remember where now), where this guy was posing his figures in the position he wants them, then he was filling in the gaps with something? and then he was painting them. It hid all signs of articulation. That is what I am wanting to do, make my figures look more real.

thats sounds like a very own shipyard member hemble...

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »
Got another question. How do I go about making straight lines while painting? I've used tape but that only helps me out a little bit.

Despite some of my customs I'm still relatively new to the whole customizing part.