Imperial Community > International

United Kingdom

(1/5) > >>

droidbait:
Hello all many off u now that 2010 is not a great year we started off with a tonne of snow, where schools and work was closed and there was limited food. Well i woke up this morning to find 2 inches of snow ( oh yipee >:( )

onto star wars well the uk dont have alot to offer us at this moment if we mainly want it we have to get it off an online store like www.staractionfigures.co.uk

wraithnine:
well i come from a small market town of Maldon (where the world famous sea salt comes from ) its in the fair county of Essex  and about twenty miles from the oldest chartered Town in England ,Colchester the famous Roman garrison town ,Maldon has been around since the 5th century  its original name was Maeldune (Anglo-Saxon = Meeting place on the hill) it has a lot of  historical buildings most of the pubs in the high st (main street) date from the 14th-16th century  ,it was once the site of a royal mint ,it has at least five churches,an ancient friory and a 13th century leper hospital(ruins) in a 2 mile radius  of the town centre the newest(church) one dates from the 18th century)the church i got married in(St Mary's) sits right on the quay and is from the 1190's,also All Saints church is the only church in europe with a triangular spire ,there was a famous battle here in 991 A.D. between the anglo-saxons and the Vikings which is immortalised in a poem it is also the oldest protected battlefield on "English Heritage's" books in England .heres an interesting fact for those american shipyarders :The vicar of Purleigh Church, Lawrence Washington, who was the great, great grandfather of George Washington, first president of the United States, is buried here(All Saints) there is a window in the church dedicated to his memory it was a gift from the citizens of Malden ,Massachusetts to the town.it is also the last mooring place of the famous  coastal barges most of which are well over 100 years old and only a handful survive .

Maldon high street

the top of Market Hill in Maldon

The Town Sign and heraldry

St Mary's Church

All Saints Church Maldon

The Maldon Barges

The Famous Maldon Sea Salt used by top world chefs

The Famous Washington Window (All Saints Church)

just thought i'd show you my neck of the woods  :)

droidbait:
omg jay ive been there and i must say it is a beautiful place

Tamer:
looks beautiful Jay.

FialaFernbrugg:
Great pics Jay. Maldon looks very beautiful.

I'm not sure but I think I tried this sea salt when I was in Vienna two years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version