Author Topic: Lambonspit's dio  (Read 4837 times)

Offline lambonspit

• Custom Vehicle Mistro!!
  • Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
    • lambonspit reviews and customs
Lambonspit's dio
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:54:06 AM »
Hey everyone. We recently bought a new house and are moving into it after repairs and reno's are complete. I was fascinated by a fireplace we uncovered whilst sledgehammering into a flat wall. Design of the house means that the fireplace cannot be removed, so i decided to work with it!! After much planning and photoshopping ive designed a diorama of the emperor's landing in the death star hangarbay that will be in the fireplace. Thought it would be a cool touch in our future Star Wars room. Here's the pic but i need some help from all the fantastic customisers and dio makers on this site.

1. If anyone has decals of the death star walls, can you please let me know, as i would greatly appreciate having a computer copy so i can cover the fireplace interior with it.

2. Can anyone suggest a material that could pass as the hangarbay floor? Can't seem to think of a shiny black material without considering painting white foam core which wont have the same effect.

The house is still 9 months from completion but i want to get all materials and elements ready early so i can just install everything as soon as we move in. Also, just a hint, but im gonna do another dio on a much larger scale of the battle of Kashyyyk seen in Ep III!! Challenging for my first dio but im up for it. Collected most of the materials, just need to get everything into scale with the figures and vehicles.

Thanks guys!!

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Lambonspit's dio
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:48 AM »
Sounds like an awesome idea. For the decals go to niubniub's universe, he has a ton of decals you can download. The floor needs to be covered with mat tack. It is a shiny black adhesive roll of goodness. Good luck with this one.

Offline lambonspit

• Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »
Sounds like an awesome idea. For the decals go to niubniub's universe, he has a ton of decals you can download. The floor needs to be covered with mat tack. It is a shiny black adhesive roll of goodness. Good luck with this one.

Thanks mate. Downloaded all the decals!! Niubniub uses Mac Tac, i think the same thing your referring too. No idea where to get it from though here in Australia!!

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
Lampy, I LOL'd when I saw your idea, just becuase I can imagine what my wife would say if I told her that I was building a Hangarbay in the Fireplace...the words "over and "dead body" spring to mind, amongst other less subtle ones.

With regards to Mac Tac, I looked high and low for some and I had to buy a bloody great roll of the stuff, I've still got enough to turn the local by-pass into a Death Star. If you get really stuck I could send you a few meters by post, you'd need enough to allow you to make a couple of mistakes as it's like applying a massive screen protector (loads of air bubbles if you are not really careful.

Anyhow drop me a line of you get stuck!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
What an awesome idea and a great way to make use of something you can't take out! I know one thing, you have a golden wife if she didn't bat an eyelash when you unvieled that idea. I can't wait to see that Kashyyyk dio too. Awesome idea.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
Very cool!  That must have been some surprise!

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
What an awesome idea and a great way to make use of something you can't take out! I know one thing, you have a golden wife if she didn't bat an eyelash when you unvieled that idea. I can't wait to see that Kashyyyk dio too. Awesome idea.

I agree, Im not sure if my wife would let me do it.

I was thinking glossy black ceramic tile for the flooring of the death star.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:05:02 PM »
Also you could try your local carpet supplier, they usually stock a large selection of Lino flooring, trhere are a couple of designs I know of that would suit your purpose.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »
I know Darth Revenge did a killer black gloss floor with just thin wood and good paint too. I wonder where that Frenchman is now that I think about it.

Offline RedLeaderOne (00fire501)

• Star Wars YouTuber
  • Commander
  • I Love Talking Star Wars
    • Star Wars RedLeaderOne YouTube
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:59 AM »
Great idea mate, cant wait  to see you start it.

Offline lambonspit

• Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
Thanks everyone!! And hangarbay, thanks, i'll let you know if i'm having some trouble!!

Lucky im not married lol, im only 17!! I don't even think thats legal!! Only person i had to work on was my mum, who doesn't understand why we collect these little plastic men and animals. Too bad it was her who actually started buying us Star Wars. Meh, i think she'll be pretty pissed next visa statement though!!! Eventually she gave in and gave my brother and i 2 rooms for star wars, so we've demolished the wall in between and opened up the 2 rooms to make our SW and entertainment area.

Just for interest, heres the north part of the room where the majority of our Star Wars is going to go.

The room goes a bit further back than what you can see. In the far left there is a door to the proposed balcony, and if i had included it, there should be another door just south of that which also leads to the balcony. Currently we're looking for cheap glass makers as i plan to have the kashyyyk dio in an aquarium style box, but completely seamless so the glass doesn't subtract from the dio. Also gonna put some glass over the fireplace dio so no dust or sticky fingers can get inside. Star Wars loving cousins under the age of ten are deadly!!!

Ok, heres the fireplace with the imperial shuttle in it for real. Its a tight fit but for our purposes it perfect. My brother wanted to do Felucia in the fireplace but i shut him down quickly enough. Just way too out of our league.

Anyways, i'll keep you guys posted with current photos of the room and the dio. But until the room and the rest of the house is completely finished, there's no way i can start installing foam core or various elements of the dio into the fireplace. Same goes with kashyyyk. Although i did find me some fantastic curtains that were hanging on that left window. They were stained a dark brown wood colour and are made out of balsa. Perfect for a kashyyyk hut roof if i don't say so myself!!

Thanks for all the help guys. Your ideas will be taken into consideration.

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:01 AM »
Lamby....LOL, lucky that wasn't a load bearing wall!

I can picture it now....the house falls down and all that is left is the fireplace with the shuttle in it!!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 07:06:02 AM »
LOL. Well there is still one gal you gotta get past, but it sounds like you have a cool mom. My mother would have never let me have a room like that. It is great! Is this room also gonna be your bedroom or just a SW room?

Offline lambonspit

• Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
LOL. Well there is still one gal you gotta get past, but it sounds like you have a cool mom. My mother would have never let me have a room like that. It is great! Is this room also gonna be your bedroom or just a SW room?

Just a star wars room, but i'll have a couch and my LCD/XBox 360 setup in here too. I just can't get enough MF2 at the moment. I'm obsessed!!
Oh, and hangarbay, if that ever happened, im sure my mum would get a sledgehammer and destroy that fireplace herself!!! Scary thought lol!!

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline darth neo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:59:59 AM »
lol thet looks great ive got my kasshyk baase up and running but its rubbish it actually looks like saleuicamy or watever it is anyways great idea looks good and ive got a 10 yr old son deadly lmao!!!!