Author Topic: Clone Wars Commando Droid  (Read 9245 times)

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
  • Time to pay up, Hutt. I don't work for free.
Clone Wars Commando Droid
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
This is a review of the commando droid figure from wave 3 of the Clone Wars basic figure line. Not sure if this is the original release or if the battle pack was first. The figure is of the commando droids first seen in the episode "Rookies" of season one of the clone wars, they appeared again in the final episode of season one, "Hostage Crisis", working alongside Cad Bane.

The Basics:
The commando droid comes with a basic droid blaster. While this is the only accessory it has been upgraded with a post that fits in the hole on the figure’s back.

Articulation:
Head - Ball joint, Neck – Hinged, Torso - Swivel joint, Shoulders - Ball joint, Elbows – Hinged, Forearms – Swivel, Hips – Ball joint, Thighs – swivel, Knees – hinged, Ankles – ball joint

The verdict:
I was very excited by this figure as it was the first droid that I felt really was a worthy adversary for the clone troopers. A character that to me, made sense, why would anyone keep pumping out useless soldier droids that accomplished nothing? I hoped that the figure would capture this feeling and translate it to the toy world. I have to say that the sculpting certainly lives up this. The figure looks exactly like the droids from the show, the paint apps are also very good and have a reasonable level of detail. Despite this I feel that overall the figure is a failure. For one reason and one reason only, in a word articulation. Looking at the figure it appears to have a great level of articulation and seems infinitely pose able. Unfortunately while the figure dose have many points of articulation most of them are useless. The most obvious area where this is evident is the hips, while ball jointed they have such a limited range of movement that it make you wonder why Hasbro bothered and didn’t just install the standard hip joint. The next point of articulation that is a real failure for this figure is the arms. Here again the articulation seems good, until you notice that the lack of a ball jointed elbow means he can’t hold his gun in a two handed grip. I realise that this is standard for all battle droid sculpts, but I ask you, what is the point of all of the other articulation in the arms if he can’t achieve this basic pose? Finally this figure disappoints because he is virtually impossible to make stand up (in the pictures he has been helped out with a little blue tack). This is turning into a novel length review but my final point of review is the accessories. I was disappointed with the accessories until I looked a little closer. The droid blaster has been upgraded with a post that fits in the hole on the figures back. This allows for him to wear his blaster slung across fis back which looks really cool. I’m a little disappointed that he doesn’t have the sword but that is used by the droid captain only and this is a figure of one of the other commando droids do it is screen accurate. So to summarise, I like the sculpt but ultimately I give the figure about a 6 out of ten. Hasbro was right about one thing, articulation isn’t everything, but good articulation can make or break a figure.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Re: Clone Wars Commando Droid
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:36:45 AM »
excellent review on this figure mate

Can't wait to get my hands on the Battle Pack, which comes also with a Commando Droid Commander.

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:39:10 AM »
Thanks! Although now I can see a typo.

I want that battle pack as well, while the review sounded a bit harsh this figure is really starting to grow on me. Plus like you said the commando droid cammander is awesome, I really like his extra paint apps and of course the sword.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:12:23 AM »
Another great review. I will get it into the fp and later the review archives. Great work.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
Nice review and pics, Pedro! I have been considering this one but haven't picked him up yet.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
i have 7 of these  lol
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:46:58 PM »
I recon I would get a few more if I came across them. I can actually see a lot of customising potential with these guys especially now that I have worked out the hole on the back. I actually didn't notice this feature until I was posting the pics, then I saw the post on the gun and I was like what is that for and suddenly my estimation of this figure went up majorly. I hope they release a version of these guys from Hostage crisis with the Ziro's droids paint apps.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
I think the added articulation of this figure is a strong point... even though it may not be as versatile as we'd like it shows that hasbro is experimenting with ball jointed hips. 

btw the ball jointed elbow problem is an easy fix.  Get some tiny craft wire, or a needle and cut the arm appart right at the wrist.  Heat up the needle and push it into the center of the forearm, and then do the same for the hand.  Push the hand onto the exposed needle peg and let it all cool.  Instant swivel wrist, this will fix that problem with not being able to hold the gun two handed.

now... for a more intracate fix i'd have to get the figure out and do a tutorial..... 

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
I used that technique to fix one of my ARC troopers whose hand was broken. Might work here, I'd really like to see a tutorial of the process if you have one.

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »
I got the Rishi Moon set today.   While the battle pack was NOT $22 worth of toy goodness at all, I AM happy to finally have some commando droids.  After seeing them in action on TCW toon last week  and remembering how bad ass they were in their lone appearance in season 1 I knew I had to finally buy the set. 

The articulation on this figure is fantastic, especially by usual standards in the animated line.  I do wish the droids stood up better in a lot of poses I'm really just happy to see they CAN move.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »
would you mind posting pics or linking to some of that set NFC... I havn't seen it at all...

and I don't remember one of them having a swoord, could someone get a pic of that too?

If there is enough interest in a tutorial for this I'll get my ONLY commando droid out and try and super articulate it as best I can... I think you guys would be impressed with the ammount of articulation that can still be added...

Offline jedimaster351

• Ensign
  • Do you want a piece of me?!?
    • Star Wars the Clone Wars
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
i really like the commando droid but it is a little small and is hard to stand up. One thing about that is it might just be the ones in the Rishi Moon Outpost battle pack, that is where i got mine. fett

the Sith are among us all.....

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »
I can try to take some pictures later of the figures if I get a chance.

not the box though, it's in the trash where it belongs  :D

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »

and here you can see all 3 of the droids crushed my 5 year daughter's custom eye monster thingy!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
thanks NFC thats an interesting blade for sure...