Author Topic: Pedro1138's Customs  (Read 3015 times)

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
  • Time to pay up, Hutt. I don't work for free.
Pedro1138's Customs
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:40:24 AM »
So after many months of planning and a few weeks of reading the 'Yards, I decided to do my first custom. I had a figure in mind that I really wanted to do, and seemed appropriate considering the current contest. I have always wanted to have an ARC Trooper Sargeant. I finally abandoned this idea because it required a lot of painting and my colouring in isn't even that good. So I shelved that idea for now. Next I thought of doing a custom ship for future photonovels (and for when I play with my figures, yes I'm a big child I can admit it! lol). But I didn't really have any good and/or affordable ideas. I had a great idea for customizing a BMF but it was way beyond my skill level and price range. Maybe one gay I will revisit it. Finally I created something quite basic and probably a bit of a sacrilege. I created a custom Dr McCoy figure from the new Star Trek movie. ( I  Know Star Trek, please don't ban me from the site!) I made him by taking the head from a cadet McCoy figure and putting it on a Spock body, I then added the bag from an Indiana Jones figure for his signature medkit. I now present my first ever custom figure! I hope you guys like him and will forgive me for posting, probably in the wrong place as well, a Star Trek figure on a Star Wars site. Enjoy!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Pedro1138's Customs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:27:49 AM »
Nice Job,       We all appreciate the custom work regardless of genre

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »
that's a nice idea mate

it's great to see a Star Trek custom here on the Yards

btw I'm sure that you can do that ARC Sargeant

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »
Cool custom from star trek.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
from little acorns..................... grow damn big oaks!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
nice.  I'd love to see more trek stuff.  I'm also a trek fan but have never considered doing any trek customs, the newest figures were a big let down for me as I don't feel they are up to par with other action figure lines such as gi-joe and star wars... but one time movies and niche genres like star trek, avatar, terminator, etc will never be as good as they should be.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:11:28 PM »
Nice throwback fig nodding twards the classic McCoy.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Mate I'm a trekkie from waaaaaaay back totally love it and love the figure,  Got a queston for you how would these small figures look customized ie on a dio painted up etc.

And also don't sell yourself short give the trooper a go and the old saying goes practice makes perfect.

Ron

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 12:57:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments!

Ron, I think the figures would look good on a dio, but sort them carefully when buying to make sure you get good ones. Unfortunately the quality is really poor on these figs and often the paint apps are out of line. Most of them come with the elbow joints backwards as well but thats simple enough to fix. I have been picking them up on clearance here in oz for about 4 bucks each so its pretty cheap. They sold so badly in fact that I'm cut that I paid full price for the first lot. Not to mention that the oz release didn't include the playset pieces so now I have a bridge set with one console. Overall I have to say that the playmates figures are pretty disappointing, but if you can get ones with decent paint apps and can over look the poor range of motion then they are alright.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
Hi All

pedro1138 another Aussie great to see,  I've seen the smaller figures at Kmart for $3.50 here in Townsville but other then that haven't really bothered with them.  I'll have to buy a few a see what a new paint app does for them and thanks for getting back to me so fast.

Ron

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »
So here I am again posting a custom that is not a star wars figure. I don't do star wars customs atm mostly because I like all of my current figures alot and don't have any inspiration for characters of my own, or the customs I want to do exceed my current skill level. Anyway I have decided to articulate an Avatar figure, Col. Quaritch to be precise. My pet hate with figures is when they can't hold their weapons two handed so I decided to fix this. Not too mention that I really like the character but his figure is quite boring. I wanted to give him a bigger gun in addition to his pistol, I also want to give him a vest like he wore in the movie. I used a method donated by Spudafett (thanks man!). I cut off the hand then used a hot pin to make a hole in both the stump and the severed hand. Then I incerted another pin into the hole in the arm and into the hole in the hand. Presto! Swivle wrist joint. Unfortunately the cut in the arm was not as straight as I thought and there is a small gap on the back :( fortunately this side is against the figures chest so you dont really see it. I hope you like it and please post any suggestions for how to do a vest for him.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »
well done, glad it worked!  It's a definate easy fix for figures with no wrists.  I first figured out this technique when my ex's kids would break the existing pegs of their star wars figure's hands off inside the wrists and were left with handless figures... i'd melt a hole in the severed hand place a needle or pin in there and then push it through the stuck pin and up into the arm farther to give it a more secure hold...

I also found this was a quick fix for the terminator movie figures that came out... and could probably be used on the star trek figures too (i don't think they have wrist articulation either)

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
I kind of did it to an ARC trooper of mine that I broke the hand off but I didn't melt the hole first. So the hand keeps coming off, but this way works heaps better. The trek figures actually do have swivle wrists, if they were a little better quality they would be really awesome.

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »
At long last I have done a Star Wars custom. Well I'm exagerating a little it's not really a custom, I just upgraded his kit a little bit and gave him a story. The truth is that for the most part I like Hasbro figures the way they are so I'm not really a customiser. In any case here is my clone commando custom. He started life as the Omega squad sniper (I believe he has now been identified as Fi but I'm not sure if that has been officially locked in yet). I removed the shoulder piece from the back pack then added a belt and a slipped in a knife behind his leg thing. Because I am not a fan of the Hasbro DC-17 I gave him one of my favourite weapons the F88 Austyer.

So what's his story?
He is RC-3333 or "trip" to his pod brothers. He was one of Dredd Priest's trainees as such he developed a very independent nature unusual among the team oriented commandos. Trip's squad was deployed to Geonosis and given the mission of destroying a Trade Federation core ship. Once the squad infiltrated the core ship it began to lift off, unable to exfiltrate they decided to attempt to complete their mission. Before they could begin however a massive explosion tore through the side of the core ship and killed the squad sergeant and ET. Unknown to the squad this explosion was the result of an attack by Grand army SPHA-T's ordered personally by Master Yoda. Trip and his last remaining squad mate rode the crashing core ship to the ground as it plummeted onto the Geonosian battlefield. When the dust cleared only Trip was left alive.

When the reordering of the squads took place after Geonosis it was found that one commando was left over as fate would have it this lone commando was Trip. Being without a squad he was chilled down until such time as a squad needed a replacement. It was during this time that he came to the attention of ARC trooper N-12 who believed he could find a use for him. Trip spent the next eight months of the war travelling with A’den and learning. By the end of their time together Trip was not just a competent sniper but an accomplished saboteur and covert infiltration expert. He would spend the remaining two years of the war assisting various ARC troopers and even at times operating on his own. It is rumoured that he was involved in the training of the clone shadow troopers. His service record is sealed and classified and thus his other exploits during the war and his ultimate fate remain unknown.

Offline lambonspit

• Custom Vehicle Mistro!!
  • Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
    • lambonspit reviews and customs
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
Hey thats heaps cool. I love the knife addition. Where did you get that from? Oh, and that backstory sounds like something you could publish and write a whole series of books on. Love it!

BTW: i'm from Adelaide. Just read about the clearance Star Trek figs so might go out and buy a few!!

Gun, Trigger, Pull