Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 6444 times)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
Re: Avatar
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 03:56:44 AM »
well no offense guys but i think avatar is crap. well it may have great effects but it copies star wars a lot with those blue creatures. blue like the people from ryloth and the look a lot like those guy from episodes 13 and 14 from TCW season 1, i forgot their names.

James Cameron came up with the idea for the Na'vi and wrote the script in the 90s. He just had to wait to make the movie because he didn't have the technology to make it.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:57:50 AM »
I saw Avatar tonight in 3D with my parents. It was amazing! It was definetley much better than I expected it would be! I hope they don't make a seque lto it, it would kind of ruin it.

Offline CloneCaptainV2224

• Clone Trooper helmet customs
  • Lieutenant
    • STar Wars Reviews
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
well no offense guys but i think avatar is crap. well it may have great effects but it copies star wars a lot with those blue creatures. blue like the people from ryloth and the look a lot like those guy from episodes 13 and 14 from TCW season 1, i forgot their names.

James Cameron came up with the idea for the Na'vi and wrote the script in the 90s. He just had to wait to make the movie because he didn't have the technology to make it.
well the ryloth people could be seen til then. and who knows, maybe he modified it...

Vlad I.

Offline Cliffthelightning

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »

I had a 'Meh' feeling about it .... I liked the combat and stuff but hated the treehugging crap.

And also it's not that original it's basicly Aliens seen from the Alien point of view ( complete with mech robot at the end)

Its a Mix of his former movies

*Aliens = combat
*Abyss = Friendly mysterious aliens
*Titanic= Cheesy romances

And some treehugging crap thrown in

Do not get me wrong i was impressed , the cgi was amazing and i liked some parts..But it's not better than Aliens in any way

Cheers-

Offline Darth Abshir

• Rookie Customizer
  • Commander
  • DarthAbshir
    • http://www.starwars.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
i loves this movie 10/10

"Keep Collecting and May the Force be with you"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 01:27:46 PM »
I think this movie has set the bar for all future cgi movies to follow. Wouldn't we all like to see our beloved SW redone with this type of skill!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
Um, I shudder everytime I think of Lucas redoing a SW movie, Shawn. I do believe that it has been rumored that Uncle George has been positively influenced by Avatar's success to go ahead and pursue the conversion of the SW saga to a 3-D format, just like he had always dreamed about.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »
Um, I shudder everytime I think of Lucas redoing a SW movie, Shawn. I do believe that it has been rumored that Uncle George has been positively influenced by Avatar's success to go ahead and pursue the conversion of the SW saga to a 3-D format, just like he had always dreamed about.

Yeah Lucas does sometimes mess with things better left alone (Mondalorians, cough cough daggone it). Still, I try not to envision what the Battle of Hoth would look like given the same type of effects we have seen in Avatar.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2022, 02:07:52 AM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

Well, it's been 13 years. A lot of other movies were made in the meantime and its release was delayed 7 times also due to the pandemic.
But now Avatar: The Way of Water is finally out now for us to enjoy. And since the second installment by James Cameron directly connects to the first one that wowed us all, I think it makes sense to get this topic back from page 4 to the top, again.

Before I share my thoughts about it here, it might make sense to share some affiliate links to Amazon here. DK have developed some amazing art books to this movie once again:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Avatar-Way-Water/dp/0744028736/ref=sr_1_5?crid=34CUHA0ZDY7HL&keywords=avatar+book&qid=1671872810&sprefix=avatar+book%2Caps%2C265&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/World-Avatar-Visual-Celebration/dp/1465489894/ref=sr_1_4?crid=34CUHA0ZDY7HL&keywords=avatar+book&qid=1671872856&sprefix=avatar+book%2Caps%2C265&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Way-Water-Visual-Dictionary/dp/0744028701/ref=sr_1_3?crid=34CUHA0ZDY7HL&keywords=avatar+book&qid=1671872832&sprefix=avatar+book%2Caps%2C265&sr=8-3
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 02:34:11 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 11:50:22 AM »
We went to see it in the theatre and wow was it gorgeous.

This takes cgi to an entirely new level.

And the movie's story took way too long to come to fruition. I mean wow.