Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

Images thanks to avatartrailer.com

Official Avatar Website with a nice trailer.

James Cameron "Terminator, Aliens" has been quoted as saying that this movie was made to be seen in the Imax 3-d format and yesterday, I took the wifey to see it at an Imax theater.  Being the most expensive movie ever to produce, at 300 million dollars, this flick boasts some of the best visual effects ever created for a full length motion picture. With a long running time of 2hrs 40 min, I would have to say that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The scenery was stunningly beautiful and the visual effects were jaw dropping as I had expected. The story was pretty good if not a bit predictable from what was shown in the trailer. I haven't been to see a 3-d movie in some time and while they seem to be able to do it better than they did in the old days, I found that I was missing some of the clearer diffinition that one experiences watching a digital theater's 2-d presentation of a movie. That being said, this was the best representation of the 3-d format that I have ever seen and some of the scenes were quite convincing as to there presented depth. During some of the flying scenes, I did experience some vertigo from sudden movements and the perception of dizzying heights in these sequences were rather convincing. The poor wifey nearly got sick and had to take off her 3-d glasses do to vertigo and a slightheadache for about the last 20 min of the flick.  The theater we were in had digital sound and at times, it was rather loud, which I always enjoy.
There was a scene when the humans were attacking the local lifeform's "home tree" where the explosions were so loud, with the 3-d mayhem, you would swear that you were there. Something must be said of the character, creature, and scenery design as this is some of the best graphic design i have ever seen.
  My brother sent me a pretty cool link that goes into more detail of the movie's graphic design as explained by 5 of the movie's designers
On the small screen, I believe that real 3-d is the only option kind of like the Imax version but you owe it to yourself to go see this one. I would go ahead and call this one the movie of the year for me.

The movie is fairly kid-friendly as there is not alot of foul language, and no nudity. There is alot of action, some fisticuffs, and some really loud explosions but kids like that sort of thing anyways. The most racy thing that I seen was veteran actress Sigorney Weaver smoking in a few shots. She was the only face that I really recognized and she played a good part. She still looks pretty good for 60.

I really look forward to seeing a nice crisp 2-d blu ray version of this movie to come out, sometime in the future.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
Sounds like an entising movie, Clint.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
I'll be seeing it at some point, the story is intriguing and the trailers look very cool

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
I'm going to go this week for sure.. Must see it soon!!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline Jedihunter226

• Lieutenant
  • Do you like your army?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »
Just came home from the cinema after seeing this movie with two of my friends! 1 word to describe this movie: BRILLIANT!  Unfortunately i didn't saw this movie in 3D but me and my girlfriend will drive to another town to see it in 3D!
"Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever"

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
This is definitely a movie that I think needs to be seen on the big screen.  I'll go as soon as I am able, and just hope it lives up to the incredible hype.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
I will see this movie within the week. I was all set to go last weekend before we got two feet of snow, but I will see this one. Clint's review just makes me want to go more.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
This movie sounds great! I've been wanting to see this ever since it came out, but my family doesn't want to go see it because they don't like the CGI and they think it's a kids movie.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
let them know that if the liked Dances with Wolves they will like this movie =)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
I saw this movie and was absolutely amazed. I couldn't tell on some occasions what was CG and what was the real movie footage. Remarkable technology. Any SW movie hereafter had better use at least that good of tech to bring across thier SE.

Offline Cliffthelightning

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 04:16:41 PM »
It just 'dethroned' Star Wars as biggest box office Sci-Fi movie.....  >:(

I get it it's new and the cgi is amazing.... but you can't dethrone something that technically is Sci-fi

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:18 AM »
Hopefully this will spur Lucas back into the movie ring and he will start work on SW Eps VII!!! or a really nice EU movie that will recapture the top mark!

Offline Cliffthelightning

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »
Would love to see Hamill , Fisher , and Ford again  ;D in a movie that sets 25 years after episode 6

But they will probanly not do that ( altough Harrisons return to indy gives me some hope)

Cheers-
Jesse

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »
Hopefully this will spur Lucas back into the movie ring and he will start work on SW Eps VII!!! or a really nice EU movie that will recapture the top mark!

I thought the same thing. Wouldn't you love to see see CG that good applied to Star Wars!

Offline CloneCaptainV2224

• Clone Trooper helmet customs
  • Lieutenant
    • STar Wars Reviews
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 03:49:00 AM »
well no offense guys but i think avatar is crap. well it may have great effects but it copies star wars a lot with those blue creatures. blue like the people from ryloth and the look a lot like those guy from episodes 13 and 14 from TCW season 1, i forgot their names.

Vlad I.