Author Topic: Cloud City Wing Guard  (Read 7443 times)

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
Cloud City Wing Guard
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
From the first pictures of the 2 variations of this figure that were standing up at SDCC, I always just figured I'd get them because I like Cloud City stuff (and we don't get much of it in the toyline) because I love the whole "city in the clouds" and the escape from it sequence in ESB.   I skipped the POTJ Bespin Guard from 2000 because of the goofy opened jacket and I know I wasn't missing out on not having that one.    Anyways, I think it was just awesome to see the Cloud City personnel in the toyline weren't ALL going to be human and I didn't even find out until later that the other guy was actually just cut from the final movie though I'll never understand WHY.  And I must add that I LOVE that this new security officer figures were officially going to be called CLOUD CITY WING GUARDS and *NOT* Bespin Guards finally after 29 years, that's ALWAYS annoyed me because, well, we know that Cloud City is definitely not the ONLY thing on the planet Bespin.  Right?

But anyways, onto the actual CCWG figure I'm trying to review here.   I knew I'd buy the figure when I saw it but I didn't know how freakin' much I was going to like it.  The relatively simple uniform is beautifully scuplted here, body's articulated well enough to be versatile for dios and action .  Yeah, the Star Wars "standard" of super articulation isn't always enough for some characters but it is here.   And he has a holster to stash his baton in and one for his pistol which is nice because the rubbery palstic they're both made from has both so twisted and warped that concealing them is all that can fix it.  (I'm trying to talk Clonehead into casting them up for me though so they can actually stay looking like weapons instead of sculptured art in the WG's hand.)   This Wing Guard is definitely one of my favorite surprise figures of the year in terms of it being much cooler than I expected it to be and I hope to find like 3 more of these figures even before Utris M'Toc is released, at which point I'll get 2 or 3 of that one too.   Yeah, I actually want the entire damn Wing Guard itself now.   :)

It's NOT an update on either of the 1980 vintage Kenner Guards but I don't care because I can make both of them and I will.  This figure is SUPPOSED to be a new version of the AA original but the head sculpt looks NOTHING like the card art based off the actor that waS the model for the vintage one, if anything this one looks like it should be a whole new character so that's how I'm going to be using him.  

This figure may not be to everyone's tastes, it's not super exciting, but it's the best version we'll ever get and mostly certainly IMO as good as it needs to be, just the same.  I love it and I can't wait to get a few more.  

• Captain
Re: Cloud City Wing Guard
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
more

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »
Nice review and pics, NFC! I dare say that you nearly have me talked into picking one up at this point.
I would be glad to mold and cast those parts for you as soon as I pick up some more mold material.

Hey, which BAD part did this figure come with?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:15 PM »
Good review NFC, another one to add to the front page when I get the chance. Thanks for doing it.

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »
Good review NFC, another one to add to the front page when I get the chance. Thanks for doing it.
I enjoy doing them and I'm always glad to help

any objections to  us reviewing older figures every once in a while too?   

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »
I love the idea of reviewing older figures. I sure do like the comparisons shots that I see being put into these threads too.

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »
awesome!   I've got a few older figures I'd love to review so I'm happy to write up.   And I'm hoping it'll become a trend too. 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
I like this one for the most part. Is it just me or do a lot of the new figures have way too skinny necks?

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »
I have been seeing that as well,

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
Skinny necks are the "in" look these days.  The buff bodies are SO 1995, now it's skinny necks!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:43:22 AM »
LOL. and long necks too. That ATAT looks awful with his helmet on and his neck sticking out the back.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 04:47:17 AM »
great review

I hope I can pick one up in the next days

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:03:26 AM »
I got this on the fp, and will add it to the review section shortly.

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
I have to admit I do like this character as a Generic Character, I had to get past the whole character not looking liking the picture on the Card though, but I did and now he is Mr Singh the Cloud City Wing Guard, who's brother has a corner shop in Bespin.