Author Topic: Hemble's other Custom's - German Armoured Train WWII 1:35 P198 02/04/2024  (Read 524062 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Hi All,

Kubelwagen Radio car dio completed-1/35 scale.

Recipe.

Figures/car - The Kubelwagen is from Tamiya and is kit #35213 and is built straight out of the box. The radio bench is scratch built using plastic card and the radio set is an old Verlinden kit that I did years ago and using it here after the dio it was on got broken when moving.

I added brackets and details on the radio set using plastic card, resin pieces and photo etched parts. The maps and charts are from and old Verlinden 1/35 map set.

The head set and the small mic I have had in the parts box for years and can't remember which company made them, The map bracket behind the back seat was done using plastic card and half the rifle bracket that came with the kit and the jerry can storage bracket was done using plastic card.

The figures are from ICM and is kit # 35639 and were built straight out of the box except for the radio operator's left arm which was scratch built using spare arms.

Base - The base was done using foam board and the ground work is a mix of 70% spakfilla and 30% sand with medium brown paint added to it.

The bridge is made from balsa wood and the nuts/bolts were done using thin plastic rod and the nail holes were done using a tooth pick.

The ground work was done using grass tufts and small bush clumps which I got from my local gaming shop. The tree and small bushes are from Woodland Scenics fine foliage light green set and the bulrush are from Ammo Mig.

The water was done using a two part resin from Tamiya with a drop of beige brown mixed in and the ripple effect was done using Woodland Scenics Water effects.

Ron
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 04:57:31 AM by hemble »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
4 more

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
last 2

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Very nice Ron. I wondered what you were up too.

Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Very nice Ron. I wondered what you were up too.

Off to share.

Thanks heaps Shawn and yeah I'm loving getting back into the first hobby that I originally started with but I have so many SW projects that I need to complete and start LOL.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
And your description is perfect for those that follow that hobby. I had a passion for this 1/35 stuff since I was young and still remember how those builders would perform ww2 magic before your eyes.
  They would have crapped eggrolls if they could have seen your stuff, Ron.
  That radio car turned out magnificent. Great interior detail that draws the eye like a magnet. Those ICM figures turned out nice. I have some that came with a kit somewhere unbuilt.
     I love they bridge also! Those bolts set it off.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Masterful Ron. Great attention to detail, especially on the bridge - right down to the bolts! Your plastic work is excellent. This is a most believable diorama.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
And your description is perfect for those that follow that hobby. I had a passion for this 1/35 stuff since I was young and still remember how those builders would perform ww2 magic before your eyes.
  They would have crapped eggrolls if they could have seen your stuff, Ron.
  That radio car turned out magnificent. Great interior detail that draws the eye like a magnet. Those ICM figures turned out nice. I have some that came with a kit somewhere unbuilt.
     I love they bridge also! Those bolts set it off.

thanks heaps mate that really means a lot and I have to agree with you on the ICM figures their new sculpts are amazing, awesome sculpts which are crisp with awesome details and hardly any flash.

Masterful Ron. Great attention to detail, especially on the bridge - right down to the bolts! Your plastic work is excellent. This is a most believable diorama.

Thanks so much mate.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Hi All,

1:35 SAS jeep North Africa WW2.

Recipe.

Jeep/figures - are from Tamiya and is kit #35033, it is an older kit but still awesome to make. The only things I did was I removed the handles that that jerry cans had as there was no middle handle and replaced them with the normal three handle style.

I used paper cut thin for the straps and the slings on the equipment and weapons. I also added the netting which is from Verlinden which I have had in my part box for years and once it was built I painted and weathered the jeep using Vallejo Paints and pastel chalks and the figures were painted using Vallejo paints.

Base - is foam board which I cut out two layers and glued them together and then removed some it to fit the large stones/rock which I used bark for them. The smaller stones/rocks is kitty litter for the bigger ones and then I crushed the kitty litter for the smaller ones. The sand is a mix of spakfilla and fine sand.

The small tufts are from Army Painter which were a little to green so a dry brushed them using beige brown and base was painted and weathered using Vallejo paints and pastel chalks.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
4 more.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
last 2.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Ron, you profit from an endless source of ideas! Your projects look so fantastic - I would've never dreamed of seeing masterpieces like these!

Your Radio Kübelwagen looks awesome! I really like the idea of a round baseplate! The water effect looks excellent and even the bridge is curved...just like a spotlight on the past.
Most impressive to me is the radio in 1/35 scale itself! Also the foilage looks great as always! I also like the color for the soil you used! There's a reason why the name for paints is "French earth".
Talking about the bridge: this build alone is wonderful! The texture of the wood looks brilliant - I just love balsa wood!

The SAS Jeep is a masterpiece of its own! And as you know I'm a big fan of your dioramas and display plates. I also collected bark (yes, I read your description before this time!) in the past, but haven't painted it, yet. I would've not expected it to look that awesome! These rocks look fantastic!
Have you been to North Africa, yet? I have been to Tunesia and Morocco so far and and also went to the desert on a camel and it looked just the same there! Amazing work - seriously!

By the way I discovered a new video game last month, you might know already: It's called "Men of War" and I got the "Vietnam" edition of it used for PC so far - I'll probably get a ton of ideas for dioramas just from this game...

- Philipp
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:41:54 AM by Darth More »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Hey Philipp,

Thanks so much mate I really appreciate the kind words on the diorama's and I love doing round bases as you don't need to do the whole thing for example the bridge but it still tells a story. The second thing I like about the round bases is the space as I can fit more on a shelf then square or rectangle bases.

I haven't been to North Africa but I have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and they both have similar scenery. The bark is a brilliant and easy way to do rocks and once painted and weathered looks absolutely amazing.

I have heard of the Men of War game but haven't played it as I addicted to Fortnite at the moment as I'm playing on my son's account.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Ultra realistic yet again Ron.

Off to share your update.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Ultra realistic yet again Ron.

Off to share your update.

Thanks heaps Shawn.