Author Topic: Hemble's other Custom's - German Armoured Train WWII 1:35 P198 02/04/2024  (Read 523188 times)

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
Re: Hemble's other Custom's - Raiders German Troop Car 3-3/4" P39 27/01/12
« Reply #585 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »
right out of one my fave scenes! top notch work as always :)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #586 on: February 03, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
Hi All,

Again thanks for the comments guys I always appreciate them and I have a few more Indy customs/dios in the works.

Ron
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:48:56 PM by hemble »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #587 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »
Hi All,

When I made my 1/6 Shrine of the Sea Devil with Indy in Deep sea diver outfit I always wanted to make this diorama from the comic book cover of the same title.

RECIPE

1: Figure & Octopus Tentacle - Indy legs, torso, head and upper arms are from the TOD figure and the forearms are from KOTCS figure. The figure was repositioned and then the joints superglued and once dry the joints were puttied up.

The bag has had the plastic straps removed and replaced with thin leather strips and the knife was the ROTLA Monkey Man figure which as had the tip reshaped.  The Octopus's Tentacles were made by cutting up a wire coat hanger and shaping them and then air dry clay was used to mold around the wire until I was happy with the thickness.

The suction cups were also made from air drying clay and small ball were made then pressed onto the tentacles and then I used a tooth pick and scribed around each suction cup to get the desired affect.

2: Base - The base was cut from some left over High Density foam I had lying around and once cut the tentacles were attached by using superglue.  The wrecked part of the ship were made using different thickness's of balsa wood and once built it was painted and then Indy was attached and then I used model ship string for the ropes.

Once the wrecked ship parts were ready I dug out some of the foam and inserted the pieces, this was also done to give the impression of the parts being deeper in the ocean.  Once I had everyting inplace and attached I used a mixer of 60% plaster of paris and 40% PVA glue and mixed both together until I got a pancake type mixer.

Once the mixture was ready I scribed lines into the foam so that the plaster would adhere better and started spreading the mixture over the base,  I gave some areas thicker amounts then others so when I make the waves it would look more natural.  The waves were made by lighlty wetting a teaspoon and lightly pressing and then flicking the plaster so the the plaster would raise.

Once the waves were doen I let the plaster start to dry and once it started hardening I then got an old paint brush and started dabbing it around the wrecked parts of the ship and the tenacles to simulate foaming from all the movement.  Once the plaster had dried I gave the base two coats of dark green paint and let it dry and then a wash of watered down dark green and flat white.

The waves and foam were done by lighlty drybrushing the tops of the waves and foam with white and continuing until I got the desired affect.  Then I used Woodland scenics realistic water and covered the entire diorama with three coats, I then used Woodland scenics water effects and made some strips to simulate water running off the tentacle and the wrecked ship.

Ron

INSPIRATION
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:59:34 PM by hemble »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #588 on: February 09, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »
few more

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Wow Ron, that just looks spot on from that comic book cover. awesome work. Back on the front page.

Offline Apocalyptic Customs

• Apoc,the strange one
  • Cadet
    • Apocalyptic custom designs
Incredible work here Ron! I am loving the water effects a step by step guide would be great to see from you!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Incredible work here Ron! I am loving the water effects a step by step guide would be great to see from you!

We got him to talk about some of this during our last podcast with Ron. Did you see his Mayan Waterfall yet? Just awesome water stuff from Ron.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
holy crap, Ron, thanks for explaining how you did all of that. Nice water effects, buddy. This piece is another of yours that is just inspiring!

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
Awesome!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
WOW Ron! This one is truly breathtaking! Excellent work!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
Ron there are no words to say that will do this gorgeous piece justice !! IMO this has to be some of your  finest work !!! Outstanding !   all the best..........  ART

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
Ron!!, you are the master plain and simple.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Man Ron, you are really knocking these latest customs out of the park.  Seeing all your recent posts makes me wish I still had my Indiana Jones action figures.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Hi All,

Guys thanks so much for the feedback it's great to read your thoughts.

mrapocalypse2020 - read this mate and if you still aren't to sure drop me an email at hemble@optusnet.com.au and I'll be more then happy to answer your questions.

Once the mixture was ready I scribed lines into the foam so that the plaster would adhere better and started spreading the mixture over the base,  I gave some areas thicker amounts then others so when I make the waves it would look more natural.  The waves were made by lighlty wetting a teaspoon and lightly pressing and then flicking the plaster so the the plaster would raise.

Once the waves were doen I let the plaster start to dry and once it started hardening I then got an old paint brush and started dabbing it around the wrecked parts of the ship and the tenacles to simulate foaming from all the movement.  Once the plaster had dried I gave the base two coats of dark green paint and let it dry and then a wash of watered down dark green and flat white.

The waves and foam were done by lighlty drybrushing the tops of the waves and foam with white and continuing until I got the desired affect.  Then I used Woodland scenics realistic water and covered the entire diorama with three coats, I then used Woodland scenics water effects and made some strips to simulate water running off the tentacle and the wrecked ship.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around with work and seeing doctors for more surgey on my ankle the last few weeks have been very hectic. But on a happier note my 8 yr old daughter Rhylie wanted to make a small diorama so she can display her schliech animals so I told her to use what she wanted from from materials and she went to town.

She was very determined to make the dio all on her own, the only help I gave her was with mixing the paint with the woodland scenics realistic water. She aksed me would I post it here to show everyone and how could I say no.

She calls this diorama The Water Hole.

Recipe

The base - is a piece of high density foam which she cut to shape. She then used plaster cloth to make the small rocks and then stuck them to the base while they were still wet.

She then painted the base brown and once dry she used woodglue/PVA and covered the base then covered that with a mix of soil and potty mix and let that dry.  When it was dry she got small bushes and plants from woodland scenics and placed them around the base and then using the mix of paint and woodland scenics she poured that onto the base to give the water hole affect.

The stones were painted using craft paints and Vallejo paints. To say the least I was stunned at how well the dio turned out and yes I am very pround of her ;D

Ron