Author Topic: Hemble's Dio's - Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise WIP 6" P63 07/07/15  (Read 171761 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Hemble's Dio's - 6" Imperial Trooper - Under Fire P34 29/07/14
« Reply #510 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:55 AM »
Something that's been bugging me for years is that I've seen a tutorial on how to make a diorama of a gas swamp (you know, with those bubbles coming up and splashing open), but have never been able to relocate the site. I was wondering if you had any hints on how to tackle making a 'toxic' swamp like that, Ron. I was thinking about making a rough styrofoam base with half styrofoam balls glued on top. Cover that in a layer of smooth plaster and paint it up.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #511 on: July 29, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
Man.... I'm not sure what to say.... amazing.....

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #512 on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »
Awesome..Would love to see a colaberation piece with a painted figure from Spry on a base from you. Are the stormtrooper and sandtrooper really different sculpts i thought it was a repaint?

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
Very nice, Ron. Just enough mods to the trooper's outfit and the water effects look great. It's one of my favourite effects in dioramas, from subtle splashes like this, to a battleship surrounded by splashes of shells hitting the water. Still on my to do list as well. And it's such a long list  ;D

Thanks mate.

I usually like to use part of the body or upper body when I do a front page update, but I had to use that foot splashing through the water for this one. Wow Ron. You never cease to amaze me. Back to the front page is an understatment.

Thanks heaps Shawn.

Something that's been bugging me for years is that I've seen a tutorial on how to make a diorama of a gas swamp (you know, with those bubbles coming up and splashing open), but have never been able to relocate the site. I was wondering if you had any hints on how to tackle making a 'toxic' swamp like that, Ron. I was thinking about making a rough styrofoam base with half styrofoam balls glued on top. Cover that in a layer of smooth plaster and paint it up.

I have never seen a tutorial about swamp gas but if you want to make the bubble effects ans depending on the size of the bubbles try using some sought of small ball and smear it with a little baby oil and then using Woodland Scenics Water affects pour the water affects over the ball and then let it dry which usually takes about 6 hours.

Once it has dried remove the water affects and you have a nice bubble affect, to make to burst just cut down the middle of the bubble and adding small amount of water affects you can simulate the bubble busrting.

Man.... I'm not sure what to say.... amazing.....

Cheers buddy.

Awesome..Would love to see a colaberation piece with a painted figure from Spry on a base from you. Are the stormtrooper and sandtrooper really different sculpts i thought it was a repaint?

Cheers mate and that's not a bad idea I'll have to talk to Spry and see what we can come up with. As for the sculpts the only reall difference that I can see is the small vents on top of the Stormtrooper helmet as the Sandy helmet doesn't have them.

Ron

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2014, 01:57:39 AM »

I have never seen a tutorial about swamp gas but if you want to make the bubble effects ans depending on the size of the bubbles try using some sought of small ball and smear it with a little baby oil and then using Woodland Scenics Water affects pour the water affects over the ball and then let it dry which usually takes about 6 hours.

Once it has dried remove the water affects and you have a nice bubble affect, to make to burst just cut down the middle of the bubble and adding small amount of water affects you can simulate the bubble busrting.

Ron

Sounds great, Ron! Gonna have to give that a try. I don't have Woodland Scenics water, but Vallejo's version instead, but that should do the trick as well. Thanks, bud!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »
Sounds great, Ron! Gonna have to give that a try. I don't have Woodland Scenics water, but Vallejo's version instead, but that should do the trick as well. Thanks, bud!

Anytime mate and yeah Vallejo's will do the trick as well, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #516 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »
Hi All,

I went to the local toy shop last weekend and came across the new Hasbro SW Command Series figures,  these figures for the price are actually very good and a cheap alternative to the bigger figures.
The figures stand roughly at 2.5 inches and for some reason remind of the old green plastic army men I use to have  when I was a kid but the big difference here is the detail which is excellent.

So I decided to give them a quick paint up which for the three figures took me roughly 2 hrs which included the base so for a beginner painter or dioramist these are a great alternative.

RECIPE

Sandtrooper & R2 Unit - The Troopers and R2 are from Hasbro's new SW command series figures.

Base - Is a small plastic base I have had lying around and the sand was made using plaster of paris, PVA glue and fine sand.[/size]

Ron

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:37:17 AM by hemble »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hemble's Dio's - 2.5" Sandtrooper - P35 22/08/14
« Reply #517 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:03 AM »
I really am enjoying your custom work on these. Man, add a bit of paint the right way and you really have something nice. I could see me wanting something like this for my desk at work.

I sure hope you will paint up an TESB Scene with some SnowTroops and Walker Drivers!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #518 on: August 22, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
I really am enjoying your custom work on these. Man, add a bit of paint the right way and you really have something nice. I could see me wanting something like this for my desk at work.

I sure hope you will paint up an TESB Scene with some SnowTroops and Walker Drivers!

Thanks again Shawn,  I haven't seen any Snowtroopers as of yet but I did see the Scouttroopers when I pick up the last lot so I'll be heading to the local toyshop again soon to see what they have.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #519 on: August 23, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
Thanks to you I definitely gave some serious thought to picking up that Star Destroyer Set last night.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #520 on: August 23, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
Thanks to you I definitely gave some serious thought to picking up that Star Destroyer Set last night.

Is that a good thing or bad thing LOL, and I really think these little figures/vehicles are really going to do well especially for the price.

Ron
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:22:41 PM by hemble »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #521 on: August 23, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »
Ok, I looked at em again. I wish there was more variety with the poses but if you were using em as placement markers for a gaming type situation, The set would be perfect to paint for just that. It can be nice and quick to make a little dio using these as has been shown nicely and imagine how the figures scale could relate to say..... A bmf falcon or...... A bmf walker.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:46:13 PM by Clonehead »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #522 on: August 23, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
Ok, I looked at em again. I wish there was more variety with the poses but if you were using em as placement markers for a gaming type situation, The set would be perfect to paint for just that. It can be nice and quick to make a little dio using these as has been shown nicely and imagine how the figures scale could relate to say..... A bmf falcon or...... A bmf walker.

Totally agree with you on all counts mate,  if you want a quick little dio these are the way to go and I would you really like to see more variety as well. I think 3 different poses especially for the troops would be cool.

Ron
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:49:45 PM by hemble »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #523 on: August 24, 2014, 06:48:29 AM »

Spot on Clint. If you wanted a static display for not much money these would be the way to go.

That or start a diorama with these for not as much money to see if you would then want to say create it in three and three quarter scale.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #524 on: September 21, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »
Every time I see this I forget how small they really are, very cool. Hows the Hoth Luke coming?