Author Topic: A Day In The Life of The Phat Kid  (Read 26120 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: A Day In The Life of The Phat Kid
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
Heights are fine for me, but it's pouring down rain since last night and hasn't stopped yet, nor is it supposed to until Tuesday.  The tarp is doing it's job for the most part, with just a little wetness in the closet upstairs.  Nothing downstairs though, which is good.  I just want to get it done, but of course, the days it's supposed to be nice and sunny out, I'm in training until at least 4 or even later, and the days I have off are going to rain still. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Maybe the weather will let up and you will be able to get to that roof. I can understand how that would drive you crazy. Glad to hear the tarp is doing its job though.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »
Man, what a week it's been!  Last week, I hurt my back bad enough to go to the ER and get some muscle relaxers and pain pills, which helped, but still had a nagging back pain that just wouldn't go away...until last night when I got my very first kidney stone while being at work!  I'm here to tell you, I can take a pretty good amount of pain, but that was the worst I've ever experienced.  It hurt so bad, I couldn't even think as a paramedic to try and ascertain the problem myslef!  The guys at my station had to put me in my own ambulance and drive me to the ER.  After 2 rounds of dilaudid and finally passing that rock through my ureter, I'm feeling much better now, including my back pain.  The bad thing is, though, that the ER doc told me that I would get these again someday.  Could be tomorrow, could be in 20 years, but they will return.

In the middle of all that, the insurance adjuster has finally come to adjust for the damage to my roof and interior damage.  His words were that when I got the final payout, it would be enough to do the entire roof if I wanted to, but his suggestion was to just fix the portion that was damaged, since the rest of the roof looked fine for another few years yet, and pocket the rest.  Yes, he told me to take what was left over and keep it for myself.  I love honesty!  So, I went out and bought my wife a laptop of her own so that I could get mine back, as well as get my car fixed.  I was planning on spending a little over a grand on my car, but it turns out, all it needed was new tires, so I saved $600...which I spent on a new laptop for myself like my wife's!  It's a sweet HP with 4GB of memory, 250GB HD, DVD/CD Burner with LightScribe, Windows Media with remote, built in webcam, and a 15.4 monitor.  This is one beautiful machine!  Now comes the task of trying to import all of my bookmarks and settings from my old laptop to my new one.  We'll be keeping my old one as  a back-up in case our others go down for any reason, as well as being using it for a shared computer for pictures and music.

As long as my body feels up to it, I HAVE to get out into that yard and get these leaves cleaned up!  I remember the nightmare we had this Spring trying to get them all cleaned up from the previous fall, and I don't want to repeat that again!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »
I have heard those kidney stones are some of the worst pain a person can experience. I have had a few women report the pain from kidney stones being worse than childbirth so I sure feel for you. Glad that is over with for the most part now. Hope you don't have to be too active and can rest. Sounds like you are like me and trying to get the fall chores done before the snow hits. Glad to hear about your roof windfall. You sure did deserve a break.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
My stepbrother passed a couple of those last month. He said that it started out as a severe back pain. I feel for you buddy. Those things are supposed to hurt.
  Good deal on the roof money. The new PC sounds sweet!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »
Boy howdy!  I feel great today, which is a plus.  Did some yardwork today with no troubles.  The new computer is fantastic, and the speed difference is definitely noticeable compared to the laptop I bought last year at this same time.  2GB memory compared to 4GB is a definite step up!

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 06:56:15 AM »
Good to hear feeling good !

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
Glad to hear that Pat! Go do something fun!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »
Okay, so we're finally going to get our roof fixed on Friday, which means I can clean up my SW room and put it back to normal.  I'll probably get to that next week.  This weekend, I am off on Saturday and work on Sunday, so it looks as if we'll be outside raking leaves even though it's supposed to be pretty cold.  It's a lot more difficult to wait until spring, that's for sure.  With having my finger in a splint and unable to use it since I had a hole drilled through it, I wasn't able to get any work done the past week or so.

We're having Thanksgiving dinner at our house this year.  Both sides, too, to there should be 15 people here.  I'm looking forward to that, but I have to get a couple of things done around the house before then.  I have to make sure the TV in the basement has cable running to it and get the garage cleaned up so people can throw darts.  Otherwise, we'll all be trying to sit on a couch and a loveseat!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
Man, that is great news on that roof.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »
Okay, so got the roof fixed, and since I took my insurance adjuster's advice, Phatty bought a new toy last night...A brand spankin' new HDTV!!!  I got a 42" Vizio 1080P LCD with 120Hz screen refresh.  I've seen some sporting events in HD, but when I turned on Ocean's Thirteen in HD broadcast last night, I first thought it was a behind the scenes or something...it was so clear!  Then i watched The Matrix, a movie I've seen probably more than I've seen the Prequel Trilogy, and saw some things for the very first time!  Man this is a sweet TV!  Now to get that Blue-Ray DVD player and get Star Wars in HD!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
Nice purchase there Pat! Some of the best HD as far as resolution that I have seen has to be HD football. I know that you will be there on sunday. What kind of hookups does the new tv have. Componant video is good but hdmi is slightly better. I am running hdmi from both the cablebox and the PS3.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 03:55:52 PM »
It has 4 HDMI inputs, 2 Component inputs, a DTV/TV Antenna input, and a few others.  I watched a few minutes of hockey in HD last night, and that was awesome as well!  I have to work tomorrow, unfortunately, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to watch some football in HD.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 04:07:17 AM »
Wow, Pat, you are making me green with talk of that new TV. Congrats! Stinks you can't watch football on it today, but man this is great news. It is nice to see that roof ordeal came out good for you in the end. I remember the mess you had starting off with that. I bet you are glad that is over too. Man, I am gonna have to start saving for my TV! I gotta keep up with the Cloneheads and the Phatties, let along the Jones!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
Man, what a difference a few miles makes!  Here at my house, there is no snow on the ground at all.  However, 15 miles away in Portage where I work and further East, they are under 9"+ of snow!!!  Watching the news, they had parts of I-94 shut down and cars all kinds of spun out!  Glad I wasn't at work last night!  Tomorrow should be interesting though...

Well, now that the roof's been fixed, it's time for me to get back upstairs in my Star Wars room and put it back together.  I think I'm going to get rid of all of my Marvel Legends except for a few.  I need to free up some room, and what's the point of having them all in a plastic tub?  Something tells me I'm going to be up there all night!