Author Topic: A Day In The Life of The Phat Kid  (Read 26147 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: A Day In The Life of The Phat Kid
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Instead of trying to post them all here, I uploaded all of the pics from my Disney trip to my Photobucket account, which you can find here:

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/pnewell8/Disney%202011/

Now, however, it's back to the daily grind.  Gotta get a haircut and pay some bills tomorrow, have a Union meeting at night followed by a hockey game.  Tuesday is my last day to myself, and then it's back to work on Wednesday.  I can't tell you how it's completely flabbergasting to me how I cannot adjust to the cold, even though I've been a part of it this whole winter, minus last week. 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
That was awesome Pat! Thanks for sharing. The gardens there are truely a fairy tale and I love that new Harry Potter section!Great shots buddy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:04 AM »
I could sure use some summer air myself.

I am gonna look at those pics at lunch today.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »
Thanks guys!  It's definitely worth taking the family to when you get a chance, so start planning now.  Hey, maybe we can set up an ISY trip there!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
Ah, where to begin.  So much has been going on lately that I've been overwhelmed with so much in so many ways!  It's been a busy summer for everyone's favorite Phat Kid.  I spent the first part of the summer planning our Fire Department's annual golf outing.  I took the reigns this year, and there was a lot to do since the guy who ran it before didn't keep very good notes.  So basically starting over from scratch, from the bottom up, it was a lot of work.  July took me by storm, as it started off the first week with my youngest brother's bachelor party and wedding, followed 4 days later by our golf outing, followed 3 days later by a roller hockey tournament in Chicago.  And if that weren't enough, I was also in charge of planning, organizing, and executing out FD's annual Muscular Distrophy Association Fill the Boot drive, collecting money to donate to the MDA, which was this morning.  I had set our goal to be $2400, the cost of sending 3 children to MDA summer camp.  I haven't gotten all the change counted out yet, but as far as paper money goes, we raised $1483 so far.  I doubt seriously that there is $1000 in change, so it looks like we won't meet our goal, but seeing as we didn't do it at all last year and raised a big, fat,, ZERO, I'd say we're well ahead.  We may do an additional day in front of Wal-Mart in late August to supplement the initial drive, as there's no limit to the number of drives we can have.  I promised the department that if we had beaten my goal of $2400, I'd buy and cook dinner for all 3 Turns.  I was a bit disappointed in the fact that only 8 people off duty came out, and only one station (the one at the intersection we did the Fill the Boot) came out to help.  Unfortunately, our department is suffering quite the low morale these days, and getting people to come out and help is virtually impossible. 

However, now that ALL of that is done, I only have a few things left to do this summer.  I have another roller hockey tournament in August, the same weekend as Wizard World Chicago, which they now call Chicago Comic Con.  Kinda funny that they call themselves a Comic Con when NONE of the comic companies attend the show anymore.  Still, it's a chance for me to go and see if I can't find some great deals on some mini busts, statues, and action figures I've missed along the way.  Sometimes you run into some cool characters. 

Maybe now, I can try and enjoy more of my backyard and relax around the house a bit.  Then again, probably not.

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
awesome, I hope you can reach your goal.
are you planning on going to gencon?
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
I hear you Pat and am in the same boat with life/activities with 2 kids. Heck Dylan is 18 what am I saying? I have missed you here but understand we all only have so much free time. Hope to see you here more soon buddy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
I agree where has the summer gone? Bummer about your MD Drive Pat and the fact that only a few of your staff came out.

Sounds like you have a good plan for the rest of the summer.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
HFK, I'm not sure about GenCon yet.  There's not usually much there that interests me, but it's always a possibility.  L.E., I have a LOT of work to do here to catch up since I've kinda left Tamer in the lurch with everything.  I get to peek in regularly, but haven't been able to do much else!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »
hey Pat, whatever happened to your trainset project? I only ask as I am in the stages of acquiring goodies to build the gf's grandson one.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
Its still going very slow.  I need to buy a couple more legs and reinforce the table itself, and still haven't decided on a layout yet.  Once I do those 2 items, which will probably be this Fall when I take my long vacation, I'll start picking up the track and get it all laid out.  I'd LOVE to find an HO scale model of Hogwarts, but no luck so far.  It's always in the back of my mind, I just haven't had the time or spare cash to get to work on it!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »
Had a great day today with my tournament roller hockey team up on North Avenue Beach in Chicago for the Tour Cup Series Beach Cup.  We're still a new tournament team, so we did average finishing 4th of 5, but at least we got medals...from 2006!  LOL!  Now, I'm beat, sore, and either have a raging cold or just feel like crap from the cool weather this evening blowing in off the lake.  Time to download the pics from the event and hit the hay, I gotta work tomorrow and need to shake this nastiness!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
Ok, so for those of you who have known me long enough, you know that this time of year is when I take a nice long vacation.  Due to my schedule, vacation availability, and some trade time, I take a minimum of one month off in the Fall.  Anywhere from September to November, really.  This year, it's the entire month of October.  What do I do with myself during all that time?  Well, the simple answer is: Nothing.  Mostly, at least.  

My first week of vacation was spent playing X-Men: Destiny on PS3.  After I finished that off, I made my To-Do list for around the yard since the weather was uncharactaristically warm, with weather in the low 80s.  Being from NW Indiana, you really never know.  Last year at this same time, the weather was in the mid to high-40s.  So I made my long list of things, wasn't going to stop until everything was done.  Problem was, I got it all done on the first day.  Ain't that some crap?  I cleaned up the garage and got it all straightened up to get ready to store all the lawn furniture, cleaned up all of the weeds and overgrowth around my shed that's been accumulating since we moved in almost 4 years ago.  I pulled up the landscaping blocks in the lawn around the daffodil garden that looks great for 2 weeks in the spring, then like crap for the rest of the year and killed off the daffodils with some Round Up.  I cleaned out the shed and got rid of all the cob webs and sprayed it down to kill off all the bugs and spiders.  I removed all of the low hanging limbs and shrubbery and piled it up for what will be a glorious bonfire.  I mowed the lawn nice and short, edged around the cement, weed whacked around things, blew off the trimmings, and even cleaned any brush and dirt off of the roof.  All in one freaking day.  

Yesterday, the wife and I decided to do a heavy cleaning of our bedroom.  Well, one thing turns into another, and we decided that our beautiful sleigh bed we bought while living in the house we were renting, was just too big for our long, yet narrow bedroom.  So, we took apart the sleigh bed and bought a queen-size metal frame for our bed.  Or so we thought.  We bought it from the Salvation Army for $20, and they have a no-return policy.  Turns out, ti was only a full-sized frame.  So since we can't return it, I made the best of it and bought some 2x4s and some 1/2"x4x6" boards and made some supports that would fit in the frame to hold the box spring.  Works great!  So we rearranged the room, opened it up tremendously by getting rid of the sleigh frame, and then went through all of our clothes, getting rid of anything we don't wear anymore.  3 13-gallon trash bags worth.  Sad, I know.  Well, we couldn't stop there, so we decided to clean out our spare room quite a bit as well.  We have a houseguest that is staying with us long-term, and felt we needed to make that room his room, so we removed all we could from there to give him more of his own personal space.  On top of that, we turned our upstairs hallway into our "Fire Hallway."  We've long talked about turning that hallway into nothing but pictures, collectibles, and nick-nacks of fire department stuff, so we hung all of that.  7.5 hours later, we finished some deep cleaning, rearranging, remodeling, and overall heavy work that was long overdue.

Today, I put up some Halloween decorations.  I love how some of the houses on our street look at this time of year, and Halloween may be my 3rd favorite holiday, behind Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The Missus and I always talk about buying decorations after Halloween when they're 75% off and what not, but never do.  So I decided that we would start small and continually build.  $40 was my limit this year, and we bought some lights to go on the ground in the landscaping rock that rings the house, and a couple of strands to go up the pillars on the front porch.  A couple decorations for the front door, and 2 windmill items for the yard in front of the front porch, and it's a start.  Next year, perhaps we'll get something to stand up in the yard.  I know, I'm a dork, but aren't we all?  I love Halloween decorations!

Which brings me to the here and now: I have nothing else to do, and don't go back to work until November 2nd.  I could clean and reorganize the basement a little bit, but that'll take me a couple hours at max, so it's not that huge of a deal.  Without spending money I really don't have, I can't undertake any more projects around the house.  I'd love to have a few grand so I could build my deck, but that's not happening.

I have a lot of potential possibilities yet, however.  I can get to work on SEVERAL custom projects I have in mind.  I could FINALLY finish my story, "In My Father's Footsteps."  I will be buying the new game, Batman: Arkham City when it comes out on 10/18.  If it's anything like Arkham Asylum, it'll last me well after I go back to work.  I can catch up on all the movies and TV shows I've been wanting to watch.  And I can take lots of naps with my puppies!  I brought my recliner back into the living room, getting rid of our loveseat that really was underused, and they both want to lay with daddy all the time.

Speaking of puppies, I think I forgot to mention, we got a new puppy on August 25th.  We had 2 dogs before, a terrier mix named Max and a pit bull/boxer mix named Joon.  Max contracted cancer and had to be put to sleep in early December after 8 wonderful years with us.  He truly was the best dog I ever had, was so well behaved, so good natured.  Turns out, I put so much effort into being strong for my wife, I didn't deal with it well on my own.  As much as I tried to move past it, I was really struggling with his loss.  Joon wasn't doing all that great either, she missed having someone to play with.  So I made the decision that we were getting a new pup.  I'd been looking casually, because I wanted a puppy, not a young dog.  I also refused to pay what some animal rescues and places like that were charging for animals who needed homes.  We paid $65 for Max from the local County Animal Control center when he was 8 weeks old, which included his first shots and neuter.  Joon was free to a good home, and we said we'd take her because we were told she was a boxer.  I laughed uncontollably when she got out of the car at our place, because she was definitely NOT a boxer!  So looking for the new puppy, I'd been keeping an eye again on that same animal control center, and one day saw a lab mix who was 10 months old and looked like a potential winner.  I sent the wife to look at him while I was at work one day, and she called to say that that dog was pretty nice, but a brand new pit puppy came in just that same day, was only 11 weeks, and adorable.  So I went the next day to look for myself.  The lab mix was way too big for what we were looking for, and one look at that puppy my wife had seen and I was sold.  I didn't even need to think about it; I filled out the paperwork and said I'd take him.  They sent him home with me, along with a kennel to use until I bought him his own that same day.  He is a brindle coloring, and we have named him Lidstrom, after my favorite hockey player Niklas Lidstrom on the Detroit Red Wings.  I feel like the house is whole again.  Funny enough, he has picked up several of the exact same traits that Max had, which is both heartbreaking and joyful simultaneously.  I'll have to see if I can find some pics of him to post.

Here are my 2 puppies; Lidstrom (brindle coloring on left) and Joon (brown on right)...

Happy Sunday, one and all, enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:13:46 PM by Phatty »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
Sounds like good fun and getting some work done! orry to hear about your dog Max but great to hear you have a new pup becoming part of the family! Enjoy the rest of your time off buddy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
That is a good feeling when all the work is done and no other major major projects are to be completed. It is great some days just having nothing to do.

Ofcourse one other area that needs major cleaning it our ftp so I guess we could perhaps use one of your days for that.  If you are getting into any reading I highly recommend some of the zombie novels I am into namely the Apocalypse series from J.L. Bourne and the Zombie Fallout Series from Mark Tufo. The later has a wit and humor I think you would get a huge kick out of.