Author Topic: Thoughts on the EP1 line  (Read 8289 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Thoughts on the EP1 line
« on: September 13, 2009, 07:30:41 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the line in general.

First, this line really got me back into Star Wars, I got  into it by running my little brother from store to store looking for the first run of figs, the infamous .00 figs, I started buying a few mor emyslef when I took him, then it kind of snowballed. I had to find everyone to "save" so I had them all if he needed one. Then I started seeing all the POTF closeouts at KayBe and TRU, I remembered the toys I had from the vintage line and it just started rolling from there.

I absoulutly loved the Naboo Royal Starship, I think Pat ended up with my loose verison. Anyhow that and the tie in to seeing the Star Wars crawl on the big screen again ignited the passion, even thought the movie may have left a little to be desired.

The cons of the line, I hated the plain cards for every figure, I recalled teh vintage cards having a small pic or scene on them. I also hated how the last wave was impossible to find locally.

All in all I do enjoy the line not for what it was, but rather what it did to get me back into SW again.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Thoughts on the EP1 line
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »
I loved this line for the new movies we got, but am now really thinking about getting rid of my Episdoe I figures. I have neither the room or a love of this line to keep em. Sad, as any SW fig deserves a good home, but mine have sat in rubbermaid for about four or five years or longer.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
I hear yha, It's hard to believe it was 10 years ago that these were the sought after items, The Sio Bibble and Pit Driods along with TC14 were a bear to find and commanded rediculous prices, now, they can be had easily, I think I still have a pit droid pack sitting some place.   Still they were an improvement in many ways over the POTF2 line, but many were still to buff for my tastes.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »
We have to thank Hasbro i guess for giving joy with this line. But there was so MANY to collect before the next themed figs came along. I mean EP 1 stuff really flooded the scene at the time....

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
the R2-B1 still fetches stupid prices (i have mine)thank god!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »
the R2-B1 still fetches stupid prices (i have mine)thank god!
that is the one that came with the naboo ship, is it not?

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »
No it was the last wave with the TC14. very hard to find at the time....i think there was a Red R2 unit in the  Starship?

Anyways this one is it....

http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeIr2b1.asp

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:28:40 AM »
the red unit was R2-R9 and i have both   he was also reissued in the Ep1 collectors tin but was done in the saga R2 sculpt(with the awful turn the head-pop up sensor scope)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »
20 YEARS LATER!!!!

a saw EP1 4:30 AM the night it came out... Then went straight to school. I feel in love with SW threw the vintage toys and EP1 carried that torch well. Overall it was a REALLY great line of toys. They screwed up and made everything (beyond action figures) with lots of strange choices (tiger naboo fighter, kaybee exclusives etc. Etc.). But they really did hit and represent all the areas in the movie. Soo much that the POTJ line only had to fill in the holes (that line is another story lol). Rant aside I miss the EP1 line it was perfect for times and left us many fine toys that Hasbro wouldn't even joke about making now.

Just compare the lame opee seakiller pack to the current rathtar one. Its scary how much better designed and well made it is! Even the qui-gon seems like a premium figure against that bland  bala-tik!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:11:59 PM by (SID) »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 03:02:05 AM »
Yeah the midnight madness with episode I has a lot of memories for folks.

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 02:41:48 AM »
Thought I add my thoughts and some pics to this topic...

I was actually introduced to the galaxy far, far away back in 1999. Was 6 yo back then...

When I got those two folded Destroyer Droids, it took me some research to find out that they were included with a R2-D2 Carry Case back in 1999:
http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeIr2playset.asp

Also made a diorama display of the Battle of Naboo recently: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10225.msg220596#msg220596

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 04:25:48 AM »
That is one nice droid army you have going. And yes, I can remember the figures being so much better in terms of movement and sculpting in regards to the POTF Line.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
  The TPM line was pretty good, even by today's standards. The stepped away from the He-man muscular sculpts of POTF2 for more realism.   The battle Droid was pretty much the first super articulated figure.  The C-3PO has an awesome sculpt, if they added articulation to it, I'd buy up a bunch. At the time I was 13, so I was at that" Too old for Star Wars" age. I bought a few before the movie came out, but that was it. Now, I find myself buying some of those TPM figures, like recently I got Watto's box, just for the Graxol Kelvvyn. He's one of, if not the tallest 3.75 non creature figure ever produced. He has a good sculpt, soft goods, decent paint, and enough articulation to sit. TPM definitely has it's gems.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:51:41 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 04:51:13 AM »
I think TPM Line really got folks into collecting modern day. I was recently married and in transition with where we wanted to live permanently so I remember saying I can't really get into this now, but boy did I sure loose some time in the toy aisles. It was so cool seeing star wars stuff like I did as a kid for the OTC.

It was  just so good to have new SW again!