Author Topic: Anyone still collect these  (Read 13625 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Anyone still collect these
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
With all of the variation hunters, completeists and folks that just like this series, does anyone still actively hunt these down?

I actually bought a few of these this past year from HothChad, I added a few of the FF cards I was missing and the Millennium coin set as well as the Max Rebo sets.

When these hit the Red cards were filled with errors and variants, from the short saber, long saber combos, the Fett paint app variation and so forth,  I am just wondering if these are hunted any more,  I know when I started in 1999, these things were pretty popular yet and some of those variants were pricey,

Even with the Freeze Frame line ups, I am not anywhere near complete and they fell off my "radar" but I often think about going back and completing the series,

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Anyone still collect these
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:55:22 AM »
I am gonna try to sell off most of mine, but keep all the ESB FF ones and that will probably be my limit on these "buff" figures.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
People are only really collecting the 1st year's variants MOC- not the .00 number variants, but the legitimate differences like long/short saber, 1/2 circle/full circle boba fett... As usual with collecting, it's trends.  So many people thought these were going to be worth tons of money, and bought a lot of them thinking "this will pay for a new car someday!"

These were following the Toy Biz X-Men line's lead with the cardback number variants, now these type of things are of no real interest,

Good luck selling them, Tamer, your best bet is to use them for customs, or put them all in a big box in your basement and wait until 2016, when they become "nostalgia" for 90's kids in their 20's and they'll pay for a decent amount for them.  Sell them now, you'll be lucky to get 25 cents a figure.

I've been collecting Star Wars since 1994, and seen many ebbs and flows in collecting... I've noticed that many of the art vinyl toy collectors and customizers in that scene have had a renewed interest in POTF2 over the last 1-2yrs.

The general rule of thumb with this type of thing is,
How many toys were made?
How many people thought they were going to be worth money?

Since the answer to both questions in this case is "A Lot" I would say that while interest might come back, the prices never will.

Take a look at some of the values of 90's toys like Transformers, or Power Rangers Zords... these were lines collectors couldn't have cared less about in the early 90's, and their MISB values are much more than most SW items from the same era (remember, kids bought these, collectors didn't care about these, we were all buying $40 Monkey Leias!)

Me, I've already had & sold complete sets of the vintage Kenner & POTF2 lines before POTJ hit, so my interest is more in 2004-current stuff.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
That is an interesting take on things.  I can't say I disagree with them at all, actually.  I remember the very day I first saw these in a store.  I had just graduated from High School and was recently enrolled in college and had stopped by a Target store to buy a new sweatshirt.  I was with a friend who was buying something for a child she knew, and that's when I saw them.  I was so excited I could hardly stand it!  I had been a Star Wars fan for as long as I could remember, and remembered well all of the toys from the original movies.  I had no idea about "worth" or "vintage" or how some of the early pieces were going for all kinds of crazy money.  I picked up my first five and it was a couple weeks later, when they were still in the package, that I learned that the Vintage line had sold so well. Admittedly, I kept them all in package from then on in case that ever happened.  I had no idea about variants until several years later.  I think it was after Episode 1 that I decided that collecting wasn't about "worth" to me, but rather a hobby I enjoyed, and I preferred my items packaged.

My best friend asked me a couple weeks ago to try and sell all of his items.  Problem is, they're ALL from POTF2, and I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd be lucky to get $20 for it all.

Sad, isn't it?

Offline DeathStarDroid

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
    • http://www.deathstarplans2.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
And that is the difference beween a Scalper and a  Collector!

Offline DeathStarDroid

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
    • http://www.deathstarplans2.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »
Time to sell a fwe of mine, I may be able to get that new Hot Rod I want  ::)    $250 for that,   true it is not the common half vs full circle but 250 is nuts.

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
POTF2 figures are the cheaper way to crowd dioramas. So I still buy them ;)
Some of them are "exclusives" : B'Omarr Monks, EV-9D9, Kabe & Muftak...
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:32 AM »
POTF2 figures are the cheaper way to crowd dioramas. So I still buy them ;)
Some of them are "exclusives" : B'Omarr Monks, EV-9D9, Kabe & Muftak...

I still love these figures, and you're so right.  You can get great crowds together with some POTF2 backgrounders.

A lot of these aliens are great still.  The Clone Wars Muftak-type alien is also an excellent replacement for the POTF2 mold.  While I haven't painted mine, a little paint and this guy looks great with the rest of the realistic line.

I wish the POTF2 Fleet Trooper was more like the Hoth & Rebel figures from that era, not as He-Man and more realistic...

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:52:36 PM »
This line was one I had ZERO interest in collecting... I was in introduced to SW threw my cousins toy collection. Anything before then was just a fluke that did not register until much later (discovering that I had  2  BOBA FETT figures amongst my GI-JOES for instance). When I got the SW bite I was only collecting Vintage Kenner. Did care at all about the new line. I was all about waiting and forking over what little cash I could for the best and most complete figures I could find at hobby shops, antique stores, flea markets etc. No easy task for child of under 10yr in the old CBS/FOX  VHS DAYS.
Eventually I only started to buy/collect the POTF2 figures as a supplement to my Vintage toys... After all they made stuff that Kenner never made or was just plain cheaper to by the "reproduction".

Sure the line had its problems with many odd gimmicks (muscle figures, rip cord toys, etc.) but as time went on I switched on to it because it got better and better. Making all kinds of characters that had never been attempted (Tarkin, slave Leia, Vader w/ removable helmet, etc.) or an amazing A-wing w/ pilot for only $20(!). These days all the luster these toys created mean nothing but they have a place in my childhood. I look back the last decade and man was it good back then.

I still collect these toys gladly now. They are so incredibly cheap to purchase that its a no brainier to horde then for custom parts and bases. I love this line for what it was and still offers (ISHI TIB / yak face for random instance). Hasbro really lost what Kenner had done... And still dropping that ball if you ask me.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
Welcome SID! I still have a few of these too.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanks. Very  glad to be here. Lurked here for far too long... This place really is the BEST place to see/showcase customs etc.  I plan on making what contributions I can since many sites feel "slow with posts" or just too much "ego".  I've been collecting since the early 90's and customizing since the late 90's so I have a bunch of various things to share or hopefully help people that might need it.

My many passion right now is "supplemental" like vehicles, display pieces  and accessories. Mostly made from recycled  parts and or kit-bashes.  Really  looking forward to what members will respond with.