Author Topic: Vintage Christmas  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Vintage Christmas
« on: December 03, 2009, 03:47:05 PM »
Anyone have any great old memories of Star Wars from the good old days?

For myself, I saw Star Wars in the theater but was really at a better age when ESB came out, so living in Wisconsin in December, it looked like Hoth,  I remember getting the Sears Turret and Probot one year and asking if I could go out and play, it more than likely was still dark when we got up to rip open presents, and I couldn't,  I wanted the big battle scene, but I really remember that and getting the Darth Vader case, I was all excited to see a big SW item, then to open it and it was a figure case? O boy what fun was that one.

My most vivid memories of Star Wars around the holiday season was looking at the wishbooks,  that's why I started my catalog project.

I just wish my parents either took pics or that I had them now, alas I couldn't find any of us opening any SW stuff,

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Vintage Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
I hear you Wayne, my mom has a great big ole chest full of pics and I need to go back through them to see if I can find any of my SW xmas present. I do remember getting my snowspeeder and spent probably all of Novemember and December using the wishbooks to try and convince my mom to get me a walker.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »
Heh - it never worked for me, Shawn!  ;D  We always got my friends big items for their parties, I remember some sort of GI Joe tracker/capture vehicle (I'm talking 12" Joes, here) but *I* never got big stuff.  Biggest thing I ever got was the turret and probot set and a Vader head!

That AT-TE was a start at making up to myself for a deprav- er, deprIVED! childhood!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
Yeah, its no wonder why I go after any walker I can get my hands on. If I had a dollar for everytime I showed mom that wishbook I could have had about a hundred walkers now.

Offline CloneCommander Buy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
For me I came from divorced parents.
I remember the year the at-at came out and telling my mother and stepfather  I want  one and calling my dad and stepmom and telling  them . got lucky that year and got 2, one on the east coast and one on the west coast. recently introduced them to each other, LOL.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »
The AT-AT was my own personal Red Ryder BB gun. Except I never got it.    :(

I wanted that thing so bad and my parents always though it was too expensive, so I never got one. It still haunts me to this day. I've already decided this is going to be the very last item I acquire to complete my vintage collection. 2010 will be the year!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Yeah McMetal I can associate. My mom did "demand" to buy me the last release the Endor version when it came out. She even went to the store with me to pick it out. I don't think it had anything to do with the guilt trips I gave her for years afterward. 8)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
Believe it or not, I dont remember getting any star wars toys for Christmas. It was always Micronauts or TCR racetracks or even a bike. No Star Wars though.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
I remember getting the Death Star playset for Xmas when it came out, man I was the happiest kid you would have ever seen.  Also got the AT-AT for Xmas when that came out.  Never got any of the ships, but I wasn't complaining.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
I can remember a few great Star Wars items for Christmas.  Some of them may have come on the same Christmas; but I can't remember.  The AT-AT, Darth Vader's Stardestroyer and a snowspeeder are some of the items that have really stuck in my memory to this day.