Author Topic: jlw515 Custom Figures Update 1-16-2024 Custom TESB BOBA FETT  (Read 47181 times)

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
Re: jlw515 Custom Figures Update 8-6-14 Class of '83
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »
I finally got my "Social Clash" two pack in and wanted to post some comparison pics.

The figure on the left is my custom Lady Jaye based upon the amazing fanfic artwork depicting Lady Jaye back-to-back w/ Flint. On the right is the "Social Clash" Lady Jaye. The headsculpt of the new Lady Jaye is just terrible! So a simple head swap with my custom Lady Jaye head and BAM! a 50th Lady Jaye!

I didn't realize until I got the figure that the "Social Clash" Lady Jaye is simply the (newer) DVD Lady Jaye upper body with different legs. So, here is another comparison picture with the gear swapped out.

I went ahead and made a custom Lady Jaye head without the hat. The face is a Black Series Padme with hair from dvd Lady Jaye.

I really love the "Social Clash" Lady Jaye body and web gear. IMHO it is THE definitive ARAH Lady Jaye counterpart, but again Hasbro needs to work on those headsculpts. After getting this two pack, I'm seriously thinking of painting my custom LJ's hat black like the ARAH figure.

Comments and critiques are always encouraged!!

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
Re: jlw515 Custom Figures Update 8-6-14 Class of '83
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
The Baroness is probably my favorite character in the G.I. Joe universe. She is deadly and sexy all at the same time. I think Hasbro has done a pretty good job so far with depicting the Baroness - especially the latest (50th?) body sculpt. However, they sure need to work on a new headsculpt! The exclusive Baroness with Ravage has a great headsculpt, but it is scene specific with the mic/ear piece.

I have worked on several different Baroness headsculpts. Two are from a Marvel Universe character. One of them I changed out the hair with the more traditional ARAH-esque Baroness hairdo. The other I left with the MU "wavy" hair, except I repositioned the hair just a bit closer to the ear to mask where I cut off the tip of the "elf ear." I also added glasses from AVAC's LAB!!

The third headsculpt is a 25th Baroness face with hair from Retaliation Lady Jaye. This has a more utilitarian look, which I love!

The blue outfit Baroness was actually a Guri custom from my Star Wars customizing days. Didn't want this figure to to go waste, so I changed her up a bit to make another Baroness. I figure the Baroness to be very feminine, but very deadly - meaning she could Ninja-fight wearing a skirt and high-heeled boots. The fish net affect was created using those rub on stickers. I let the stickers sit on the plastic for a day, and then carefully peeled the matte finish plastic off leaving behind the black ink. I pulled some of the black ink off in certain parts, but that's fine the long skirt hides most of it.

And finally a Baroness in a more formal outfit. The body is a SW "Fireside" Padme. I originally used a Slave Leia head which looks more in proportion to the body. I added a bun to the back of the head and again glasses from AVAC'S LAB. But, I always just see Princess Leia when I look at that face. The MU headsculpt looks good, but reminds me of the Baroness/Ravage figure in that the head looks a little too big for the body.

Anyway, comments and critiques are encouraged!!

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
Re: jlw515 Custom Figures Update12-4-14 Lady Jaye and Baroness
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
Forgot to change the title on post #1 to indicate an update. So....

BUMP!

Jason

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
Great looking figures mate.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »
Nice, time for a front page update.

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
Re: jlw515 Custom Figures Update 1-16-2024 Custom TESB BOBA FETT
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2024, 06:56:17 AM »
WOW! I think it's been at least ten years since I have customized a Star Wars figure. For those that remember me, I used to customize all the time. I even developed the Cantina Customs web page (I lost access to updating it many years ago) and way back in the day was into photo novels (Vader's Quest). Back in 2012, I made the jump from SW customizing to G.I. Joe customizing. Plus, college life (much later in life) has been demanding over the past decade, but I am almost PhinisheD with post-grad school and this summer I will officially be "Dr. J"!!

When the new Target exclusive Boba Fetts were released, I just had to grab some. I prefer TESB Boba Fett's color scheme over ROTJ, plus I love how the flamethrower/laser details are exposed on the left gauntlet. So, I knew I would try my hand at updating a custom TESB Boba Fett!

So, the base figure is the VC186 ROTJ Boba Fett. I removed the belt and green cape. I also trimmed off the flamethrower/laser cover off the left gauntlet.

I created the new belt from piecing together the belt from Evolutions Boba Fett, the holster from the Solo-Han Solo 2pk Fett, and pieces from the new G.I. Joe Grunt web gear.

I trimmed down a cape from Evolutions Fett and attached it under the shoulder armor. I also sliced off the flamethrower/laser details from the Solo-Han Solo 2pk Fett and glued it to the left gauntlet. I like how this sculpt has the mounting plate sculpted. The left gauntlet was really important to me for this custom. I did not just want to paint the gauntlet and keep the rectangular flamethrower/laser cover. Once the flamethrower/laser detailing was attached, I painted both gauntlets and the jetpack adding weathering to both. Another important detail to this custom for me is to have a moveable range finder. So, I trimmed the sculpted range finder off, Dremelled a hole and attached the range finder from a scrap 300th Boba Fett using hot glue to fill in the socket. I also painted in the two slivers on the left chest piece. Finally, I gave the body a wash in dark grey to dirty the figure up a bit.

The rifle is a kit bash from the VC186 Fett and Evolution Fett rifles.

Here are comparison pictures of my older custom Evolutions TESB Boba Fett and new VC186 TESB Boba Fett. The older Evolutions custom has a 300th Fett head (Dremelled to fit), left gauntlet, and customized jet pack.

Finally, here is a collage of my Boba Fett shelf in my home office. Carded figures in the back, 6" figures, Funkos, and Legos in the middle, and loose figures in the front. I also have this super-cool cloth flag/wall hanger that my daughter got me in Okinawa (not pictured).

In the past ten years, I have also worked on G.I. Joe customs. You can check out my blog: https://gijoerevisited2.blogspot.com/

Thanks for taking a look. Comments, questions, and critiques are always welcomed!

Jason

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 07:23:40 AM by jlw515 »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2024, 10:29:00 AM »
Nice to see you back! Your Fett custom is really excellent, you paid a lot of attention to detail and it shows. I really like how the gauntlet turned out. Great job with little bits!

On another note, congratulations on seeing the finish line fir the doctorate. Stay the course, I've known a lot of folks to wash out at the end! If I may, what's your field of study?

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2024, 02:30:17 PM »
Nice to see you back! Your Fett custom is really excellent, you paid a lot of attention to detail and it shows. I really like how the gauntlet turned out. Great job with little bits!

On another note, congratulations on seeing the finish line fir the doctorate. Stay the course, I've known a lot of folks to wash out at the end! If I may, what's your field of study?

I started college much later in life at 40. I went to a conservative Christian college for my undergrad and was originally going after a bachelors in business; however, like many freshmen, I changed my major within the first semester. I told my wife that if I (and the family) were going to invest time and money into college, I was going to earn the degree I really wanted - a PhD in Theologial Studies. So, in my undergrad I earned a Bachelor of Science summa cum laude in Leadership & Ministry, then in grad school a Master of Divinity in Bible & Theology, and now I am at the very end of finishing my dissertation for a PhD in Theological Studies.

Since I started, for the past ten years, I have been in college full time. Believe me when I say, after this summer, I am totally PhinisheD!! In addition to my full-time job, I have been working the past three years as an adjunct professor for a seminary and a teaching assistant at the grad school (same one I attended). I am hoping that they offer me a full-time position once I've defended my dissertation and completed my PhD.

Jason

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2024, 10:46:48 PM »
Hey Jason,
I just sent you a couple of private messages

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2024, 04:49:22 AM »
So awesome to see you back. Dr. J has a nice ring to it. Off to share your latest work to our front pages. That is one nice Boba.