Author Topic: FialaFernbrugg's Star Wars model kits (Bandai Razor Crest, page 17, 121221)  (Read 101178 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
I hung my Star Destroyer from the ceiling for this diorama I'm in the infancy of building. I was naive in thinking 4lb test line would work, but it stretched like silly putty. I ended up saying screw it and used 12lb.  The line is more visible, but it holds. It works great as a background floating SD in this diorama.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:40:53 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
It looks great as part of your background I agree.

Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
It looks great as part of your background I agree. 
Off to share.

That SD is straight out the box.  No weathering, no black wash. The detail is phenomenal. The sound effects mean little to me, but the lights are cool.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
Great idea to use the SD as diorama piece in such a way. I've hoarded the hot wheels SW ships when they've dropped for the same reason. The perspective is all the matters.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Great idea to use the SD as diorama piece in such a way. I've hoarded the hot wheels SW ships when they've dropped for the same reason. The perspective is all the matters.
Yeah I really like the hot wheels ships. There not much on fine detail, but they're pretty good, and they make a good variety. I've been eyeballing that cargo shuttle, but have yet to pull the trigger.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
That looks really nice.
Good idea to use it as a background piece.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
That looks really nice.
Good idea to use it as a background piece.
Yeah the SD has potential. There's nothing that is in scale with it, however one could work with it. The Bandai 1/1000 Tantive iv could be used in a chase scene. It would be way out of scale, but depending on how you place it, you could get a sense of distance. Same with the 1/300 falcon. In any event it would always work as a background. I saw a Bandai diorama of lando falcon being chased through the... I dunno space clouds?.... Kessel run. It was amazing.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
Bandai Death Star II

The DS-2 Death Star II Mobile Battle Station, also known as the Death Star MK. 2, or simply the second Death Star, was a partially completed moon-sized battle station constructed by the Galactic Empire as the successor to the first Death Star. A larger and more powerful Death Star, the second Death Star's long-term purpose was similar to the first: to terrorize planets and star systems in league with the Rebel Alliance through the use of its planet-destroying superlaser.
[wookieepedia: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/DS-2_Death_Star_II_Mobile_Battle_Station]

JDeck has already made a kit review: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9884.75 - check it out.

Bandai Kit No.: 0230358
number of parts: 20 + 2 for the display stand (the display stand is transparent in the multi pack version with the Star Destroyer and black in the single pack version)
scale: 1/2700000
diameter: 61,5mm or 2,42"
hight with the display stand: 96mm or 3,78"
retail price: ~25€ (2020)

I used these colours to paint the kit:
-Revell light grey USAF 34176 acrylic spray paint as a primer
-Tamiya german grey TS-4 acrylic spray paint for for the internal parts
-Revell enamel paint grey matt 43 for the drybrushing of the internal parts and the details in the dish
-Revell Aqua Color grey silk matt 374 for the panels and cotton buds
-Valejo bright bronze 72.057 for the details of the internal parts

The kit is very detailed for the small scale and like all Bandai kits it is very clever designed. All parts fit well together but there are small gaps here and there. The trickiest part for me was painting the panels. The raised panels on the Death Star are darker than panel lines. I primed the the parts with Revell light grey USAF. Afterwards I applied Revell Aqua Color grey silk matt with a cotton swab to the surface.

I hope you like it:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:21:32 AM by FialaFernbrugg »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: FialaFernbrugg's Star Wars model kits (Bandai Death Star II, page 17)
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
Sweet paint! I’m going to have to look for mine now

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2021, 03:52:07 AM »
Sure looks like a nice kit to me. Nice paint work too.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2021, 04:25:32 AM »
Wow, the level of detail of this kit is amazing! So is the quality of your pictures! I think I have to get this kit, too. The DSII looks great next to the figures! Excellent job on glue and paint work! High precision as always. So good to see you back here. The Death Star couldn't be more iconic here on The Shipyards...

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2021, 07:39:30 AM »
Bandai Super Star Destroyer

Executor-class Star Dreadnoughts, also known as Super-class Star Destroyers or simply Super Star Destroyers, were some of the largest and most powerful Imperial starships ever created. Along with other classes of massive Imperial capital ships, they were also referred to as Super Star Destroyers, although they were technically classified as Star Dreadnoughts. The most distinguished Super Star Destroyer was the Executor, flagship of the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader.
[wookieepedia: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought]

Bandai Kit No.: 5057711
scale: 1/100000
length: 190mm or 7,48"
width: 60mm or 2,36"
height: 49mm or 1,93"
retail price: ~20€ (2020)

I used these colours to paint the kit:
-Tamiya german grey TS-4 acrylic spray paint: for the superstructures
-Vallejo model wash for grey and dark vehicles: for the weathering
-Revell enamel paint grey matt 43 for the drybrushing
-Revell enamel paint metalic silver and light orange for the engines

The deatils on this small kit are phenomenal. Another wonderful Star Wars model kit from Bandai.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: FialaFernbrugg's Star Wars model kits (Bandai Super Star Destroyer, page 17)
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2021, 09:37:01 AM »
Looks great to me. Great paint work too.

Off to share this on the front pages.

I always like seeing your references and the different angles for your images.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: FialaFernbrugg's Star Wars model kits (Bandai Super Star Destroyer, page 17)
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »
You did a great job painting and assembling, looks really good. I bought this kit, but never put it together.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2021, 06:27:46 AM »
Bandai Razor Crest (silver coating ver.)

A former military craft used to patrol local territories in the time before the Empire, the Razor Crest serves as the trusty transport and living quarters for the Mandalorian and the Child, as they travel from world to world, staying out of reach of the Imperial Remnant.
[Text from the box]

Bandai Kit No.: 5061795 (vehicle model EX018)
scale: unspecified
length: 110mm or 4,33"
width: 74mm or 2,91"
height: 69mm or 2,71" with the stand; 33mm or 1,3" without the stand
number of parts: 23
retail price: ~40€ (Nov. 2021)

No paint or glue required. All parts are coated with a silver plating. The stand is black.
Stickers for the markings and the cockpit windows are included. I would have preferred waterslide decals but the stickers are quite good and very thin.
I used Vallejo model wash black to bring some weathering effects on the model.

40€ for such a small model kit is quite expensive. The Revell Razor Crest with a length of 337mm, interior and cockpit has a retail price of 57€ (Dec. 2021). The details are very good and the silver plating looks amazing but the price is too high.