Imperial Entertainment TV and Movies > Star Wars Television

The Star Wars Holiday Special

(1/2) > >>

Reconsgt:
Good, Bad  definitely infamous

From the Wiki
The Star Wars Holiday Special is a two's television special (including commercials) set in the Star Wars galaxy. It was the first official Star Wars spinoff produced. It was directed by Steve Binder. It was broadcast in its entirety in the United States only once, on Friday, November 17, 1978 on CBS-TV from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time (EST).[1] In the story, Chewbacca and Han Solo visit Kashyyyk, Chewbacca's home world, to celebrate Life Day. Along the way, they are pursued by agents of the Galactic Empire who are searching for rebels on the planet. The special introduces three members of Chewbacca's family: his father Attichitcuk, his wife Mallatobuck, and his son Lumpawarrump.

The main storyline of the film, which occurs two years after the Battle of Yavin (2 ABY), takes place on Kashyyyk. During the film, scenes also take place in outer space and in spacecraft including the Millennium Falcon and an Imperial Star Destroyer. The variety-show segments and cartoon introduce a few other locales, such as a cantina on the desert planet of Tatooine and a gooey, reddish ocean planet known as Panna.

The program also features brief appearances by other Star Wars characters, including Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, R2-D2, Darth Vader, Han Solo and Princess Leia Organa (who sings the film's "theme song", set to the music of John Williams's Star Wars theme, near the end). The program also features a cartoon produced by Toronto-based Nelvana that officially introduces the bounty hunter Boba Fett.

The film is notorious for its negative reception.[1] Anthony Daniels in a documentary promoting the worldwide tour of Star Wars: In Concert notes with a laugh the Star Wars Universe includes "The horrible Holiday Special that nobody talks about". George Lucas had limited involvement with the film's production, and he was unhappy with the results. David Acomba, a classmate of Lucas's at USC film school, had been selected to direct the special, but he chose to leave the project, a decision supported by Lucas. The special has never been re-aired or officially released on video.

Now I do recall watching this as a kid,  I must have known it was coming due to commercials or whatever but I remember seeing it and at the time, it was great, after all it was Star Wars right?  Well as my memories faded about 10 years ago I went searching for this, only to find out, it was never released, after searching I found an old VHS copy and was eager to watch. Well watched it I did, good, sure the memories, but the actual show was bad, and I mean bad. So bad it has become tradition in my house to sit down with a few pints of Guinness and watch this travesty every day before Thanksgiving. Why, I don't know,

Saving grace was the first introduction to Boba Fett.

So anyone else watch this and have the courage to view it more than once?

night force cynic:
it's about unwatchable.   so horribly horribly made!

I commend anyone who CAN sit through it all the way because it is painfully terrible to watch even if you're trying not to pay any real attention to it. 

Cimter:
I watch it all every Christmas Time even the cringe worthy Song by Carrie Fisher at the end.

spudafett:
the only part that I've allowed myself to watch is the cartoon. Which in and of itself is awesome, very good cartoon television....

the parts of the rest of the special that I have seen turned my stomach in ways I didn't know tv could do....  I'm thankfull that I havn't heard the song.... lol

I do believe that there are a few streaming online coppies of the special floating around the intertubes...  I know for sure there is one of the toon, since that's how I saw it.

I still think hasbro should make boba's beastie mount that he is seen riding... I've been looking for a good pleisiosaur toy to customize my own for the longest time...

Goldleaderone:
Watch if you got a half hour to spare. Believe me, it's worth it.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/15087-swchr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version