Author Topic: Repo, Thoughts on Reproduction parts  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Repo, Thoughts on Reproduction parts
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »
Lets have a discussion, debate or general thoughts on the topic of reproduction parts and accessories.

I will chime in a bit later on my thoughts,

However do you Like them, hate them, approve in certain instances?  Would you welcome them in your collection or treat them like a plague?

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: Repo, Thoughts on Reproduction parts
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »
lifted from my post about Jman's stuff:

Jman's stuff isn't really repro, its stand in.  Instead of cheap flimsy cardboard, his is more art board with high res images...immediately distinguisable from the original crap.  His missile base got him into a  lot of trouble since an original can easily run a grand on EBay and he sold high res ones for 70 bucks, but like I said, once you see one, you'd never mistake it for the crap hasbro was selling in the early 80's, lol.

Its more for enthusiasts than collectors...so don't worry, you can still pay outrageous prices for flimsly cardboard to your heart's content, Smiley

I'm all for repro, but I also open all my toys, so I guess thats probably a good combo.  I just want to display my toys, play with them a bit and move on.  I don't think these guys replace my 401k in any respect, so I'm fine with repro.

I would, however, not be in favor of anyone selling repro as original as its just stealing.  But like I said, the stuff I get, obvious improved reproductions, so I am all in favor.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
I make repro's, albeit of the modern lines, so I guess we know where I stand.  As for vintage, I'd buy repro as a stand-in to complete a fig/vehicle/playset if it was substantially cheaper and I knew up front it was a repro.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
I make repro's, albeit of the modern lines, so I guess we know where I stand.  As for vintage, I'd buy repro as a stand-in to complete a fig/vehicle/playset if it was substantially cheaper and I knew up front it was a repro.

yeah, my theory is thats where the hate comes from...not knowing it was repro at the start.

Some people just like to steal, which I guess thats what I'm doing with my casted helmets, but to me, they are just ummm, free sculpts from existing art, yeah, thats it.

But lets be honest, no one is going to mistake my stuff for the original, lol.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
My main issue with repo’s is the large quantity that has been introduced into the market place as "genuine" items. This is especially true with unscrupulous sellers passing off high dollar items such as the DT saber figs, vinyl caped jawa, even recarded figures, IE Droids Fett, Vlix.   Many collectors want only the real deal, so when the sellers state they are real only to be fakes, (and to me that is exactly what they are if they are sold as original) is not only illegal but immoral. Selling anything as original when it is not is what I define the basis of illegal, as in fraud. You are using a lie to perpetuate a profit.

There are some people that do reproduce items and take care in making an identifier cast in to alert others it is a repo, such as some of the Vlix and Rocket Fetts out there, they are clearly identifiable as recreations.

I can fully see that some people want to complete their items and will settle for repos to do that until vintage replacements can se found, I am OK with that and would never want to tell others they can't do it, for me, I don't I wait until I can find the real piece I need.

The issue then further dilutes it self when some uninformed or novice collectors buy these and then resell down the road is good faith that they have real items, this now muddies the water and promote uneasiness when hunting some of these more rare or hard to find items,

People are free to choose what they put in their collections, but I don’t buy them. I also work with others to help track sellers that do try to pass repos off as the real deal.

Now with regards to modern items, will this cause a controversy in 20 years?  I don’t know, All I will say is that anything fan made should be sold or traded as such. I would take a pre-caution to selling these by adding an identifier of some kind to distinguish them from the real item. Add a piece of metal to the cast to make it magnetic, add a letter or a mark. I would,  Then there is also the legal aspect of making and selling if the Lucas hounds ever came calling. Not saying they will but you never know what they will perceive as infringement. That’s another reason I would modify it in some way.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »
I think as long as it is stated they are repro I do not have a problem with it as I have used several repro parts to recard some of my vintage figs.  Finding original parts is just not an option for some figs or ships or the cost makes it just nuts. I do not mind having repro parts on any of my walkers, etc. Now, If I ever sold em as original complete then that is just plain fraud imo.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 11:31:51 AM »
here in KY, we had one of the bigger casters for joes a few years ago.  Hasbro actually had no issue with him as he was making items that were wanted in the fan community, but caused no loss to the company.  My biggest cheer was for his bat hands and backpack for the original bat, he even had them sold cheaper as a set, he was a hero.

He eventually got a CND because other less reputable casters were casting whole figs and selling them, at a high price, might I add, while the same figures were on the pegs.  The guy that stands out in my mind was pretty much a chump that would take a whole figure, change one detail then pass it off as an original figure.  Hasbro was no aly to him, lol.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
I hate it , hate it, HATE IT. The whole idea of "repro" seems just wrong to me. It's just a cruel tease.

I;m not talking about customizing, I have no problem with that. I am talking about the stuff people try to pass off as vintage that clearly is not. Like the obviously fake metallic gun I got with my "complete" vintage trenchcoat Han. (Seller claimed ignorance)

Why Hasbro would have ever made or sanctioned anything like this is beyond me. It just muddies the marketplace, IMO.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
I think there's two sides to the whole repro debat. As has been rightfully pointed out here, repro items being sold as genuine vintage ones are just not done. And that's saying it mildly. Like I said in another post, I had a bad experience once. I bought a POTF R2 with pop-up saber, since my original one has the worst looking sticker ever. So, I won this R2 from ebay seller robmarcy (yeah, just warning my fellow Imperials here  >:( ) who stated the item came from "his childhood collection" and was "100% genuine".

Upon receipt of the R2 I checked it and the little droid really looks terrific. So, being the kid I still am, I wanted to eject the lightsaber.... which didn't happen. I thought there was something wrong with the spring, so I tried the saber in my own beat-up R2. Didn't work either. That's when yellow alert kicked in and I checked the Jawa Armoury. There's a very useful bit of info on this particular and unique lightsaber: a repro one does not eject! And after reading the entire info, I scratched the saber with my nail and voila! Paint comes off! Whereas the original one is molded in colour.

Now, I confronted robmarcy with this and asked for a solution. He said he didn't know it was a fake and he bought it like that (remember "childhood collection"?). Well, after I nearly exploded he brushed me off with a 25% refund.

Sorry 'bout the rant, but that's where repro is getting its bad rep from, imho.

On the other hand, I don't mind a good repro weapon on most occasions. I have quite a few Royal Guards and we all know how easily their force pikes break. So, the original ones are harder to come by. A few of them have their original pike, but most have really good repros. Same goes for the Snowtrooper's skirts.

But again, if it's repro it has to be stated and definitely not be sold as genuine.

Offline Cliffthelightning

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
I think there's two sides to the whole repro debat. As has been rightfully pointed out here, repro items being sold as genuine vintage ones are just not done. And that's saying it mildly. Like I said in another post, I had a bad experience once. I bought a POTF R2 with pop-up saber, since my original one has the worst looking sticker ever. So, I won this R2 from ebay seller robmarcy (yeah, just warning my fellow Imperials here  >:( ) who stated the item came from "his childhood collection" and was "100% genuine".

Upon receipt of the R2 I checked it and the little droid really looks terrific. So, being the kid I still am, I wanted to eject the lightsaber.... which didn't happen. I thought there was something wrong with the spring, so I tried the saber in my own beat-up R2. Didn't work either. That's when yellow alert kicked in and I checked the Jawa Armoury. There's a very useful bit of info on this particular and unique lightsaber: a repro one does not eject! And after reading the entire info, I scratched the saber with my nail and voila! Paint comes off! Whereas the original one is molded in colour.

Now, I confronted robmarcy with this and asked for a solution. He said he didn't know it was a fake and he bought it like that (remember "childhood collection"?). Well, after I nearly exploded he brushed me off with a 25% refund.

Sorry 'bout the rant, but that's where repro is getting its bad rep from, imho.

On the other hand, I don't mind a good repro weapon on most occasions. I have quite a few Royal Guards and we all know how easily their force pikes break. So, the original ones are harder to come by. A few of them have their original pike, but most have really good repros. Same goes for the Snowtrooper's skirts.

But again, if it's repro it has to be stated and definitely not be sold as genuine.

Sounds more like a knockoff if you ask me  :-\

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »
I have to agree that selling an item as "Original" but is not is just plain wrong and illegal/immoral. However, repro parts have their place as long as they are labelled as such. Like our good old Clint who makes replacement gunship parts. Clearly they are not originals but they fill a much needed space.

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
gunship parts, eh?

I need a couple missiles for my ATTE, I  might have to look into that.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
I have been asked for ATTE missiles before but haven't made any molds for em, yet. I believe that the gunship missiles will work for the smaller ones, though.

The replacement gunship missiles must be filling a much needed space as I get alot of requests for em. I am working on orders for them and the replacement aft gun barrel, right now.