Author Topic: McQ concept IG-88  (Read 4975 times)

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
McQ concept IG-88
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
I love Ralph McQuarrie’s art, very few of his sketches or paintings aren’t mindblowing.  And I love that Hasbro immortalized some of his most iconic and memorable designs in plastic.  Some of the designs are so nice that I’ve turned his CONCEPTS into unique characters with their own stories in my own Star Wars ‘verse.

Well, his earliest design of bounty hunter IG-88 was a total throwback to early Hollywood sci-fi robots from the 1950s with some trippy 70’s influence added… I wonder if Asimov would have approved.   Hasbro kind of caught me off-guard with this design getting a toy when I saw the picture of it from SDCC, I knew one more of his ESB concepts was getting a figure but Iggy was a surprise.  Some of the other early designs for the droid were more interesting but this one is again the most well-known.  Of course I was going buy it though, it IS a McQ toy afterall, eh?  Nonetheless I thought it WAS cool that a fringe character got the concept slot from ESB instead of another main character.  Well yesterday I stumbled across this Concept IG88 figure at Kmart of all places and immediately grabbed it, in shock, because I didn’t realize it was even shipping yet.  After pulling it out of the package, I actually wasn;t sure if I liked it as a toy or not (as I said, not his best design for the droid IMO). 

But when I started messing with the figure today for these pictures I realized how bad ass a toy it actually makes.  Now I have to figure an identity for the droid to fit my ‘verse too because it’s too keen to let it just “be” and stand around with no purpose.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: McQ concept IG-88
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »
I love McQuarrie's art, and these figures are just too cool to pass up!  I wish they'd make a couple smaller concept ships to see how well they'd sell.  I picked this one up myself, and like the way it looks.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »
I haven't seen this one yet but as I have a moc collection of McQ concept figures, I probably will. Nice pics, NFC.

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
I love McQuarrie's art, and these figures are just too cool to pass up!  I wish they'd make a couple smaller concept ships to see how well they'd sell. 
they actually DID make some small McQ designed vehicles, way back in 1997!  click 'em for more

-ESB Airspeeder

-ESB Cloud Car

-ROTJ Speeder Bike

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »
would love to get my hands on an airspeeder
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:46:01 PM »
Sweet review NFC, it will go live on the fp tomorrow. I am just to beat now. I am thinking as you guys are kicking these up a notch with some great early reviews that perhaps we ought to kick the fp up a bit in regards to them too. Stay tuned. I really appreciate you guys letting us see all the great new action for these new figs.

Daggone, this one sure does pose well too, doesn't it? I have all the Mcquarrie figs so far and figure I will continue em. And Iggy is an TESB figure by my reckoing!

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »
ya know, Tamer, it's really sweet to see stuff like this on the front page.   it's like an honor.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »
ya know, Tamer, it's really sweet to see stuff like this on the front page.   it's like an honor.

Bud, the honor is ours. Yours and others great additions to these has given me an idea for a new addition to the front page too. Stay tuned!

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »

Bud, the honor is ours. Yours and others great additions to these has given me an idea for a new addition to the front page too. Stay tuned!
I like the sound of that!