Author Topic: What was your first vintage item  (Read 11880 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
What was your first vintage item
« on: November 14, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
Just curious as to what was the first items that you received either as a kid or as an adult collector that got you into the SW line.

For me I told this story countless times, but I was sick at one point and when I woke up my mom and dad had a Landspeeder, Luke and C3PO waiting for me. That more than likely led to the landspeeder being one of my favorite toys, I hunted down 2 prototypes that are added to my collection, ( you will see those soon when I write the prototype article) I narrowly missed a chromalin proof sheet from Cloud City years ago and still regret not pulling the trigger on it. After that I was hooked,  SW left an impression but I was really awed by Empire, still my all time favorite but those first toys stuck with me all this time.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
Re: What was your first vintage item
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:36:34 PM »
I don't remember the VERY first one, likely one of the original wave of figs, but I do vividly remember tearing into the Creature Cantina playset on Christmas morning one year. Awesome memory!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
I don't remember getting any of the figures from the first wave when they came out but I do remember getting hammerhead and r5-d4 from the second wave when they first came out.
I do rember that my first playset was the awesome Death Star playset. Man, what a big box that seemed like at the time. I remember being bummed that I wasn't allowed to open it till I got home and poured over the images on the box during the whole trip. Kansas city was the nearest place it could be found and at the time, with the speed limit being 55, that was a two hour trip.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »
Man, this is a tough question!  The first figures I remember getting were Hammerhead and Jawa.  I know I got Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and Vader pretty early on as well.  My mom's best friend worked for Toys R Us and got them as soon as they arrived.  I think my first vehicle was the Snowspeeder, which I got as a pick-me-up gift when I was sick.  It was always fun to get a new item, I didn't care what it was: I was HOOKED on Star Wars!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
Ah.... the "firsts"..... who can forget? My very first SW items were Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues), Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard Disguis) and a CAP-7 mini-rig. You see, in the summer of '83 my dad took me out to see the Sunday afternoon matinee of Return of the Jedi (pronounced "Yaydee" by me back then) and for Sinterklaas (a typical Dutch kids' festivity in early December) I asked for a couple of SW figures. My mom said I coud choose a couple as long as they weren't violent, as in wearing guns or something like that. So I picked Lando, because I actually thought he was a palace janitor  ;D. Luke was some sort of teacher with that coloured wand and the CAP-7 was some sort of cargo vehicle. How 'bout that?

I still have those figures, much like most of my vintage figures, and the CAP-7. Although the latter has received new legs and a new canopy along the line.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
Darth Vader with the red telescoping light saber. Man, I wish I still had my original. Daggone he was the best villian ever!

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
as a kid my parents couldn't afford much in terms of star wars but when they did i would always get a figure or 2... from memory i think my first figure would have been chewie and than Darth Vader and so on.... they could never afford to get me any vehicles so i only got figures, ( i guess that's why NOW my Star Wars Room is  FULL of SW Vehicles for filling my childhood dream LOL, i also have a vivid memory of taking 2 biker scouts to School one day and the teacher confiscating them off me and was told i would get them back at the end of the week, well that week ended about 21 years ago and i still didn't get them back!!!! they where my only troopers i ever had.... now i can understand why i have so many Troopers now (be it Clones) so i will never have any taken away from me again!! LOL
i think the teacher gave them to another kid... so he said!! but i think he kept them for himself >:( now i will never go with out a trooper again!!........ i Believe i need help, maybe we need a forum with a therapist to resolve our childhood emotional trauma......

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
I have a similar trauma with a GIJOE ripcord figure, my man.

I had the jedi luke in black uniform and I remember thinking he was such a cool hero, I also had the blue boba, which I found out just today was actually the droids boba, lol.  Then later on, I got yard sale figures, mostly I remember some hoth guys(which I still have) and a snowtrooper(which I still have, and his gun, :) ).

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
On my birthday I received, the Death Star playset and three figures--Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader and Princess Leia.  It was a great birthday.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 07:45:46 PM »
Christmas, 1977.  I hadn't yet seen Star Wars - that would be later in the spring with some sort of re-release to the theaters in OKC.  But I knew the basics of the story and I knew the figures.  Well, when I tore into presents, I found - among other things - a new desk, a new bike, a Jawa, and a Stormtrooper.  I still have them, too.  (well, I'm not sure where the desk is, now, but the fig's are in a DV head and the bike is in a pile of stuff across the road at dad's place.)

Offline M4K3R1

• "FEAR IS OUR ALLY"
  • Lieutenant
  • "CODE OF THE SITH ORDER"
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 03:22:48 AM »
The very first one i dont remember,but i do remember playing with these some 30+ years ago, one of the first figures i do remember well, is Darth vader. I still have him today even though he is heavilly played with, scratched, and the lightsaber tip is broken off. He remains my favourite piece to this day even in his pittyfull state. To me he is irriplaceable. He was accidentlly found about 10 years ago by my folks when they packed up and moved house. They found him behind the boufett cabinet which had never been moved in years. When they aproched me with vader in hand, they asked if i remember him. He was incredablly dusty and dirty, but after some washing and scubinng, i had my childhood toy back. Finding him again stranglly ignited my passion to this day for collecting SW toys.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
He was accidentlly found about 10 years ago by my folks when they packed up and moved house. They found him behind the boufett cabinet which had never been moved in years. When they aproched me with vader in hand, they asked if i remember him. He was incredablly dusty and dirty, but after some washing and scubinng, i had my childhood toy back.

Great story!  I found my first Luke Skywalker after missing him for years myself. 

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 01:46:46 AM »
My first SW toys were the Death Squad Commander, R2, Leia & Imperial Troop Transporter...

They were played with to death!! (I still hope to pick up a beater transporter to repair mine.) Talking of which I've been cleaning off and repairing my original figures so that I can recard them and mount them on the wall of my den :D

I've displayed my vintage ships with my modern figures. My Den also includes my collection of vintage gaming hardware too - I love escaping up there!!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
That is a grerat looking display! I love the vintage cards and figures!

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
R2-D2 on easter of 1978, My mom and dad put him in one of those plastic eggs and I was so excited, he was the only SW I had and I played with him for days. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.