Author Topic: Imperial AT-ST (new WM exclusive)  (Read 16806 times)

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
Imperial AT-ST (new WM exclusive)
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
the AT-ST has always been a very popular OT vehicle, it's one of the most memorable aside from the Falcon, the AT-ATs, the Tantive IV, and the Death Star itself.  And with good reason, it's an odd design that's unique in the world of most sci-fi IMO and that's one of the coolest things about it.  I always loved it in ROTJ and I always liked the toys.  Sure the vintage ones and all its modern repaints has never been accurate to the model of the vehicles on screen but it captured the essence.  But it's never been updated with a new sculpt.  Of course the Falcon had wait 31 years to get the same treatment too. 

And now that an all new "chicken walker" is availible, it'll probably make a lot of fans wonder why the hell the toy ever seemed cool to them.  The Kenner walker has NOTHING at all on the new sculpted... The details, the articulation, the scale, the functionality, it kicks the shit out of the old one in every way.

I don't know if the "actual" Imperial specifications for the ST-ST make it so it's supposed to be able to crouch down or collapse into a cube or fold down for transport about the Star Destroyers for deployment or what this toy sure as hell has a LOT MORE interactivity than I  figured it would. IF this crazy compacting legs this IS a Hasbro engineers' ideas for the toy then he needs to be assigned to more vehicles in the line to make more of them THIS playable. 

Click the THUMBNAILS and just LOOK AT THE MOVEMENT ITS CAPABLE OF!!! 

now I DO HAVE A COMPLAINT: it's flimsy.  In a lot of poses it has trouble standing on it's own because the legs ARE lithe and the pilot station is bulky, so it's really top-heavy.  Basically all the poses it CAN hold standing on its own are the ones I took the pictures of, most the other cool poses just knock it down.   Plus moving the legs around like I did for these pictures loosens the joints up a LOt, I need to find a way to tighten the joints up so it can retain the sturdiness that it does have left.

It also needs a new paint job is it's BLAND out of the box at the touch dirth weather looks rididculous, it needs a customizer's touch badly.   
And the driver sucks ass but tht is because it's a repack of one of those crappy Ultimate Battle Pack Hoth AT-ST drivers so the articulation is negligible. 

At $43 the price tag on Walmarts new exclusive All Terrain Scout transport seems a bit steep, I mean that ain't totally reasonable though, because it's not nearly as  overpriced as the new ARC 170s go for.

and finally the comparisons to the Hoth repaint of the old AT-ST

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Imperial AT-ST (new WM exclusive)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:04 PM »
Excellent review NFC. I was rivited. After reading your and  Sarge's semi review I am left still semi excited with the hopes that a few "tweaks" could really fix this new one and make it something spectacular. I am thinking perhaps a switch out of the feet of the new ones for the older atst styles and perhaps some sculpting on the back of the legs to make them more movie accurate. I am wondering how much sturdier it might be with just a feet switch alone. I am still not sold on the rather large body for the legs too, but it is growing on me.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »
Mine was more of a rant than a review.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
Nice review, NFC. I too have thought that a feet switch might be in order.

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:49:33 PM »
Mine was more of a rant than a review.

LOL

we all have our own writing style  :)

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »
NFC, can you trade me that hoth ATST?  I missed that set as I was a joe fan at the time, lol.

It would look neat next to my other vehicles and looks pretty crappy next to your new super cool atst, :)

I've read your review and the sarge's, I'm going to pass on this right now, it sure is bigger, but doesn't seem better in my mind.

and I think it crouches down to be stored and to load drivers, just my opinion though.

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »
AT-ST can crouch in that galaxy far far away, truth be told they are able to crouch down and fit inside the loading bay of an AT-AT. As told in the New Guide to vehicles and vessels on page 9. for those who do not have this book I will give you guys the paragraph.

" The awe-inspiring AT-AT stands more than 15 meters high and can carry up to 40 stormtroopers, 5 speeder bikes, and a variety of heavy weapons. In order to release troops, an AT-AT kneels to within three meters off the ground and lowers a rear assault ramp. AT-AT's can also be configured to carry to AT-ST's. The command crew consits of a pilot, gunner and commander located in the vehicles head."

so to answer the ? AT-ST's can squat snd as far as the other leg movements they are ment to emulate the legs in ROTJ when the walker is standing on the logs and they roll around under its feet, not a big plus as far as detail for me but I do not use it I simply raised my AT-ST's up and leave them at that.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:35:30 AM »
Cool deal! I didn't know that abou the AT-AT either about it being able to kneel to 3m and then a rear assault ramp. If they do a BMF one, I wonder if they will take that into account. If it means messed up legs maybe I don't want to see it though.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »
I just want them to do another atat, I'll probably keep my old atsts just to make the new atat seem even bigger, :)

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »
I just want them to do another atat, I'll probably keep my old atsts just to make the new atat seem even bigger, :)

Party at my house if Hasbro ever announces one of these.

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:47:02 AM »
I'm all for a new AT-AT. 

please Hasbro?   that'll be well worth the price it is on par with the BMF

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
I opened mine yesterday and posed it some and came to the conclusion that while It's legs were a bit wonky and getting it to stand by itself in more than a few poses was difficult, I do like it. I like the bigger cockpit size but think that the legs and especially the feet could be a bit beefier looking to look right. I don't really like the black connecting nub in between the head and leg assembly but do like that you can seperate the two. About the cockpit, why didnt they make a recessed area for the drivers to put their legs in the down position? Was it felt that it wasn't necessary with the crappy driver figure that they decided to include? As far as Tamer's suggested fixes, The foot swap with the old atst and the addition of some hydraulic rams to the legs would help make things more accurate and help with the head/cockpit looking so large compared to the legs. It might stand better with that larger footprint, also.

These fixes could be possible but I would have a better idea of how to do the foot swap had I not gotten rid of all of my old atst vehicles.

I may have to shop for a partial one on the evil bay.

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »
Are the feet hollow or solid. And I need one for the shipyard

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »
the feet are essentially hollow with some webs for strength,   

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »
Yay! I got mine today! I have not opened it yet but it looks great in the box. I agree about the black neck yoke. It stands out too much and needs to be softened somehow.