Author Topic: Han Solo--BD30  (Read 4457 times)

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
Han Solo--BD30
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
Thought I'd post my initial thoughts on this figure.

As an OTC completest I was compelled to buy this figure.  The additional Stormtrooper armor is what it is.  When I initially saw pictures of this figure, I assumed the helmet was a repack of the one with the Walmart exclusive ewok three pack.  I compared the two side by side, and although this one is still too big in my opinion , it's not as ridiculously over sized as the one that came with the ewoks.  So yeah...it is completely new.  (At least it doesn't match up with anything else I currently have--stormtrooper, space trooper etc.)   The torso armor is actually pretty good.  I think it's scale is pretty much right on, it's just that it doesn't look good over sculpted clothing.  Some of you customizers may find a good use for it.  The stormtrooper belt is okay.  I wish they'd fix the holster.  It still looks pathetic if you try putting the blaster in there.  Matter of fact, I think this holster is the original bad one that came before the equally terrible "improved" one.

The figure itself is basically just the VOTC sculpt with a new head.  I'm not one who thinks the VOTC has a dead on likeness, but this one misses the mark further.  Plus his melon seems really large--especially when compared to the VOTC version.  (Perhaps this is why they were compelled to include the larger helmet.)  Of course for those of us who've been around this hobby for awhile, you might think, like I did, of the original variation in Han Solo figures--little head/big head.  The only other modification to the sculpt is the removal of the holster thigh strap on the VOTC Solo's lower right thigh.

Compared to the VOTC Solo's paint job, everything about this new Solo from the waist down is shinier, glossier and brighter.  His blue pants seem more blue; while his boots are gloss black instead of flat black.

Solo's sleeved arms are cast in white; and it's really, really white.  It wouldn't be so noticeable but this torso is cast in black and on my sample at least, the visible shirt beneath the vest received a very poor coating of paint making the shirt look tan, or like maybe someone peed on it.

The paint apps on Solo's eyes aren't bad; but it sort of reminds me of the droopy eye syndrome many of the Indiana Jones figures had.  It's possible the paint is hurting the sculpt; but I can't tell.

That's that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Han Solo--BD30
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »
excellent review! Can you give us a few pics to go with your review? I will fp you!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
That was a good review, BR! Yeah, let's see some pics pf that bad boy.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »
Okay guys, I got some pictures for you.  I tried to give you some different comparison shots, sometimes changing lighting or figures to give you an idea of different aspects of this figure.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »
Couple more...

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
Nice comparison shots, you can really see the differnce in the helmets line up like that.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Yeah I hope you guys see what you're looking for in the pictures.  I've had my camera for a few years and I still haven't mastered lighting and focus.  If there's something someone wants me to re-shoot, give me a holler.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
Great pics, BR! thanks for taking all of those.

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »
Yeah I hope you guys see what you're looking for in the pictures. 
I found what I wasn't looking for:  visual confirmation that I DO need this figure afterall.  Yeah, thanks for the "help" here!     :P

;D

seriously, far better than I thought first

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:18:28 AM »
Cool deal. Time for me to make you famous. Front page bound. Excellent review with pics.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:52:44 AM »
Cool deal. Time for me to make you famous. Front page bound. Excellent review with pics.

That's great!    :o  Had I known, I probably would have paid closer attention to my grammar and sentence structuring.   :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »

That's great!    :o  Had I known, I probably would have paid closer attention to my grammar and sentence structuring.   :D

I thought the thing was spot on. Put your pics and reviews together and I will keep making the fp submisions. Clint has set our bar high, but I love to hear everyone's take on these things. Lets face it who knows our toys better than us fans who preview em with nothing but pics for months and then get em in hand and have the background to compare em with previous versions? I will answer that us! Your review was right on the money  as far as I am concerned.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
I like the look of this one... and the greeblies are nice too...
But I want this only for the YVH droid part....
But the greeblies will make it that much sweeter when I get him.
Sadly I had it in hand this weekend, shopping for Xmas stuff for the kids and put it down to talk to the wife a minute...
When I turned back to pick it up, it was gone.
Fast little bugger, He is...
Solid review and nice pics.
The 3 helmets side by side remind me of the scene with the Ewoks playing music on the helmets at the end of TESB..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:33:18 PM by dana.raye.smith »

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
u mean rotj