Author Topic: Legacy Sandtrooper with Dewback  (Read 14852 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Legacy Sandtrooper with Dewback
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »
Ok guys, I finally, if you can believe it, cracked open the box last night and took some pics to show you the good, the bad, and the ugly.

It looks pretty nice displayed on the Tatooine background, but boy was it hard to get it separated!

The Dewback is really a shade of green I am not sure if I like yet (it might be growing on me) and features articulation points at the head and legs and on the ankles of each foot. There is really a lot of great detail on the saddle too, but it doesn't look to be removeable. I guess it might come off with a lot of pushing and shoving, but I didn't exert too much force on it. One of the biggest things I noticed was the huge gap of open space when you move the rear legs. I hope the pics shows how open it is.

The Sandtrooper looks pretty nice and is super articulated as far as figures go and includes the backpack, dewback pike, and a really long looking pistol with an underneath canister that looks like a "tommy gun" in my opinion. I popped one of the hands off trying to get him to hold onto the reigns and his other hand is spaced a good bit apart to hold onto the pike, but I did get him to hold it for a few pics.

Ok, now for the thing we all want to know is how he rides the dewback. I must say they show a nice picture on the package saying that he actually rides the Dewback, but guys it took me about ten minutes to get the sandtrooper into position to take this pic and he isn't fully seated on the saddle. I was pretty disappointed. It makes me glad I am a carded collector.

Overall, it was a pretty nice offering, but left me wanting in regards to actual playability. My daughter refused to mess with it after about a minute because, "Daddy, the guy won't stay on the dinosaur". Kinda sad Hasbro when a three year old can figure out something you cant!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:20:21 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »
Tamer, I am proud of you. You actually opened something and now see how hard it is to actually get these darned toys out of their package. I like the articulation to the dewback's ankles and that detail on the saddle is nice looking. That hole at the rear leg doesnt look that bad from here but might be larger in person. I like the sandy but first, why release a new super arty sandtrooper without a removable helmet? And second, he still doesn't sit on the saddle right is what you are saying? that looks like hell! Why didn't they design the saddle to be more user friendly with this figure but I know the answer to that. Two different teams probably worked on the two different sculpts and never got together to compare these items until it was too late.
  Well, you have shed some light on this anticipated release and I thank you. Nice review, buddy.
I notice that one of you sandtrooper shots got inverted somehow. It had me thinking that the pauldron could be mounted bi-directionally.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:42:55 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 07:42:02 AM »
Lol. I tried to remove the helmet and pulled the whole daggone helmet off and was met with a little ball socket. And yes, he doesn't sit on the saddle well at all. With just a few small tweaks they could have really made this great.

Offline maunster

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
Doesn't it feel good to actually hold it in your hands, instead of looking at it through the window? ;D
 Thanks for breaking your rule, we are all greatful !
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." Bruce Campbell, Army of Darkness

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
Doesn't it feel good to actually hold it in your hands, instead of looking at it through the window? ;D
 Thanks for breaking your rule, we are all greatful !

It did feel pretty good, but I get so ticked when I do get something to open only to find a few small errors keep it from being totally playable! Part of my collecting is appreciating the art of the card or box and just seeing all the graphic changes that take place. Take this site for example. When we first started out I couldn't even spell photoshop, let alone whip up a graphic. I still have issues, but look at this place now. I log on just to see the new changes people are making with thier avatars and sig pics, etc.

That being said, my little girl sure did like to see Dad make some Dewback noises and play with a toy for a bit. I so hope I can get her hooked on Star Wars.  It won't be for lack of trying!

Thanks again for the support folks, it won't be the last thing I open for the Yards!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »
Ok, I think I speak for EVERYONE here when I say, "We need to have audio of your Dewback sounds!"

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »
Sniff, sniff...Tamer has crossed over to the Dark side!....but on the up side i can see he did it for the good of all Shipyarders. Sacrifices must be made!......

;) ;) ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
Lol. My Dewback has a rather nasty cough, cough sound and is spitting up a lot.

And yes, I have made the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of the Shipyards, forever down the darth path I shall now be. Think the Dark Side does have cookies?

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
After seeing pics of it opened I would start by tossing the sandtrooper in the trash and repaint the dewback,   I like the new dewback design but think it needs a more realistic paint job. Mate it up with a new custom of a nomad of some kind.

Tamer, you know me I am a mainly carded collector but some items are begging to be opened.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:50:38 PM by Reconsgt »

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »
If you throw them in the trash I will trade for them, I hope to find this but with the way things are I doubt I will, nice review it looks great

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 04:11:10 PM »
Wayne, I think you and my cat Vader agree on the Sandtrooper. I got home from work this evening to find the sandtrooper on the floor beside my computer with a big ole black hairball thrown up all over him. Lol, how is that for a review of a figure.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
OOOooooo, hairball covered sandtrooper. I think the trade value just dropped.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
OOOooooo, hairball covered sandtrooper. I think the trade value just dropped.

I don't know Clint. Its not everyone that can say they have a weathered sandtrooper by the Vader himself!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
Well, that's always true, LOL.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
Enjoyed the review.

Couple other things I've found out on various sites:

The saddle is indeed removable.
You aren't the only one that has had trouble getting the trooper to sit on the Dewback.  The best attempt I've seen actually had the troopers legs situated back a bit.  Similar result though, the trooper wasn't flush against the Dewback.