Author Topic: spudafett's vehicles (last update: mando speeder video!!!)  (Read 86348 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: spudafett's vehicles (last update: hiss2 mod)
« Reply #480 on: September 18, 2010, 07:29:08 PM »
I seem to remember a rather awesome at-st like vehicle you made using styrene and am thinking that body attached to some at-st legs might look cool!

ya know... that isn't a bad idea.  I might have to just make a walker out of it!  great idea.  It even has joints at it's "shoulders" that would be good anchors for mech arms!... THANKS TAMER! great idea!  I was realy stressing about what to do with it and whether or not I'd wasted the money on buying the toy JUST for the treads.  now to find a cheap at-st... anyone got an old POTF chicken walker they don't want!?

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #481 on: September 18, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
i'm not saying tracked vehicles don't belong in star wars... your right, there are more examples than just the sandcrawler and turbo-tank mandalore.   
It's just that I did make this tank specifically to be a cobra/gi-joe custom...  if I ever get a few standard HISS tanks I might make a mcquarrie concept one.

to be honest i never got the concept snowtrooper... I never realy liked it much. :/

Meant no offense spuda

none taken, I was just explaining my reasoning.

ah... how could I have forgotten the tie-crawler! doh!

I'd love too have a vehicle of that

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #482 on: September 19, 2010, 01:06:27 AM »
Cool. The Hiss has always been one of my favorite Cobra vehicles.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #483 on: September 19, 2010, 06:02:57 AM »
i'm not saying tracked vehicles don't belong in star wars... your right, there are more examples than just the sandcrawler and turbo-tank mandalore.   
It's just that I did make this tank specifically to be a cobra/gi-joe custom...  if I ever get a few standard HISS tanks I might make a mcquarrie concept one.

to be honest i never got the concept snowtrooper... I never realy liked it much. :/

Meant no offense spuda

none taken, I was just explaining my reasoning.

ah... how could I have forgotten the tie-crawler! doh!

I'd love too have a vehicle of that

therfe was a 1:72 model kit floating around a while back that was in good scale with the action fleet vehicles at about 7 inches long... I think there was even a resin kit that came wiht just the treads that you could kit-bash onto an existing action fleet tie....
I don't know how you would manage making treads for a full size 1:18th scale tie though... it'd be dificult to make them and make them actually work.  I'd think it'd be pretty simple however to make a large MOCK up version with small hidden wheels underneath them so that it still rolled (much like the old way hasbro did the joe vehicles that had treads...)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #484 on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:03 AM »
I always envisioned the TIE-Crawler as having treads more like the Snail Tank or the new HISS, not that ludicrous slab-sided monstrosity.  So maybe I should go buy another new HISS and find a smaller TIE and make my own version of the TIE-Crawler.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #485 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
Spud, I love the missile and modded gun mount. Something about the missiles buggs me. I think that it is the harsh red color and think that a more industrial tone with some markings or instruction/warning type decals would give it a more real feel.
  I too think that the angle on the treads is a bit much and am glad that you are going to change it. I would love to see the rumored "walker" version of this. I am racking my brain trying to imagine what legs would look best on this one. The ATAP back legs could work if you could find 4 of them but some trial and error would be necessary to determine if it had the right look.

Awesome mods, my man!
Oh, I do agree with you on those new joe figs.. They are straight up sweet and I have picked up several already.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #486 on: September 19, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I believe I have worked out a trade for the old POC tank body... so this one won't be customized.  If I get another POC tank in the future it might be.

I don't know that there is a smaller Tie body doc... I've seen concept art though that pictured the body of the tie crawler more like that of vader's tie... so that might be a good base to start. 

clint, the harshness of the missiles was an issue I had as well... of course it's a personal battle over "simulated reality" and "classic joe".... do I make it look more realistic or do I keep that classic look of the outlandishly bright colored missiles? lol

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #487 on: September 19, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
Curse you, Spud!!  A new POC HISS now sits here, glaring at me as it awaits customization!!  :D

I have a plan.....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #488 on: September 20, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »
Curse you, Spud!!  A new POC HISS now sits here, glaring at me as it awaits customization!!  :D

I have a plan.....

do tell... ? 

I can't wait to see what you do with it...  The POC tank that donated it's treads to my custom has found a home with someone else so I won't be doing anything to it... but I do have another POC tank that is going to be customized pretty heavy. 

I'm going to try and straiten up the treads and see what that looks like today and I'll probably take it outside and get some good "action photos" of the tank out in the wilds.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #489 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:58 AM »
Spuda, you hit the nail on the head with this one my fine custom making friend!

Love the colour, love the parts, love the tracks, love the concept and loooove the guns!!!

One hell of a fine piece of custom heaven!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #490 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
Well, it involves a set of legs if I can find them... that's the current quest...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #491 on: September 20, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Spuda, you hit the nail on the head with this one my fine custom making friend!

Love the colour, love the parts, love the tracks, love the concept and loooove the guns!!!

One hell of a fine piece of custom heaven!
it aint over yet.... check the next post I make!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #492 on: September 20, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
well... I tried to straiten the treads and two things happened.... the treads no longer fit as good and the front view looked awkward... so I didn't even take a picture and I left them the way the were... so if you think they need to be strait, make your own  :P  lol.

I did however go and weather the tank, then I took it outside and grabbed some shots too...

the dirt on the treads is real dirt... I just rolled it around outside for a little while and thought it looked pretty good so I just left it! 

sorry there's so many pics... I couldn't decide on any favorites! lol

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #493 on: September 20, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »
You know me, Devin, I am more of a realist. I love the missile paint apps and those outside shots rock! damn, I want a Hiss now.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #494 on: September 20, 2010, 04:21:24 PM »
Yepper, those missles look much better imo too and seem more a part of the vehicle. The treads really look pretty good too Devin.