Author Topic: spudafett's vehicles (last update: mando speeder video!!!)  (Read 86382 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: spudafett's vehicles (last update: hiss2 mod)
« Reply #465 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
i'm not saying tracked vehicles don't belong in star wars... your right, there are more examples than just the sandcrawler and turbo-tank mandalore.   
It's just that I did make this tank specifically to be a cobra/gi-joe custom...  if I ever get a few standard HISS tanks I might make a mcquarrie concept one.

to be honest i never got the concept snowtrooper... I never realy liked it much. :/

Meant no offense spuda

none taken, I was just explaining my reasoning.

ah... how could I have forgotten the tie-crawler! doh!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #466 on: September 17, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
finished it again.. this time I moved the treads up and out to give it a wider footprint but also a lower center of gravity.  I added a cockpit cage to the gunner station that had mounts for missiles (it was off an old joe vehicle that didn't have all it's parts, IDK what it was called) and I repainted the entire thing to match and applied decals from the POC tank set.

better?   BTW the treads are at an angle... because I thought it looked cool and it was easier to get them to fit in this position if they were tilted. They still roll perfectly.  If you look at the original hiss2 the treads are slightly tilted on it too so I thought it was a neat look.... 
let me know what you guys think

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #467 on: September 18, 2010, 02:43:52 AM »
LOL. I didn't mean to start a controversy when referring this to the McQuarrie concept art. Still, you gotta admit it would look good in the SWverse. To each his own though.

I like the new look, sans the tank treads that are tilted. Having served with some armor while in the service I know what tilted treads gets you. Lots of work! Still, I like the look and the paint job better than on the new version and really could see this thing white with some imperial accents and think it would go great in a Battle of Hoth dio.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:46:22 AM by Tamer »

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »
what do *I* think??

BAD-@$$!!!!!  Pure & simple!  It's Joe, all the way.  the paint scheme is just right.  Realistically, I agree w Tamer about tilted treads, but this is Joe, so they work.

One thing that struck me and Brendan about the new Hiss is how the treads resemble that on the Snail Droid tank...maybe it is a Sep vehicle rather than an Imp.....  hmmm... if you got some battle droids handy, that would be an interesting pic...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »
what do *I* think??

BAD-@$$!!!!!  Pure & simple!  It's Joe, all the way.  the paint scheme is just right.  Realistically, I agree w Tamer about tilted treads, but this is Joe, so they work.

One thing that struck me and Brendan about the new Hiss is how the treads resemble that on the Snail Droid tank...maybe it is a Sep vehicle rather than an Imp.....  hmmm... if you got some battle droids handy, that would be an interesting pic...

hmm  the longer this thread goes the more vehicles that are mentioned that have treads!  lol  I'm going to have to post a retraction saying I'm a doofus and wasn't thinking about it hard enough! lol.

I know the tilted treads are unrealistic. And I think that it's the biggest problem right now with the new configuration, however if you take a look back at the previous version where I posted the comparison pictures with the original HISS2 tank's pics you'll notice it's treads are slightly tilted....  I also think it gives it an outlandish "cool" look which is what I love about the vintage joe vehicles, they were usually so over the top that it's almost laughable!   

what do you guys think about the added roll-bar cage for the top gunner?  do the missile racks sticking off the side look out of place?  it looked ok in person but in the photos it looks kind of wonky and out of place to me.  Funny how a photo's perspective can bring out details that wern't noticed before...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #470 on: September 18, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »
I like the roll cage and think perhaps the missle racks might look better to you if there were two more on the other side. I think they look fine though. I like the color they give the whole vehicle too. It really is a nice vehicle mod Devin, much better than the original and the newer one.

I do apologize if my perspective always draw back to SW as that is my chosen like. I really do like seeing all the great non SW conversions and customs you do too. It really is quite jaw dropping to see the modfications you can make as well as the light effects you can add.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #471 on: September 18, 2010, 05:27:58 AM »
I like the roll cage and think perhaps the missle racks might look better to you if there were two more on the other side. I think they look fine though. I like the color they give the whole vehicle too. It really is a nice vehicle mod Devin, much better than the original and the newer one.

I do apologize if my perspective always draw back to SW as that is my chosen like. I really do like seeing all the great non SW conversions and customs you do too. It really is quite jaw dropping to see the modfications you can make as well as the light effects you can add.
why apoliogize?  I used to be the same way!  For instance I mainly look at the joe figures and think "hmm that part looks like it could be used for this Star Wars character!!"  lol. 

There is already an arctic version of the hiss tank out there that might work well for the star wars samauritrooper concept tank....  it was an internet exclusive though and kind of rare.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #472 on: September 18, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »
There is already an arctic version of the hiss tank out there that might work well for the star wars samauritrooper concept tank....  it was an internet exclusive though and kind of rare.

Thats just my luck it would be rare. If I ever get around to doing the other projects I want to do I would love to see the McQuarrie Tank realized. I believe I might know who I will try to comission for this once I get my main Walker Hangar done.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #473 on: September 18, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »
I just got caught up reading this thread. Devin, I love what you have done here. The details on that hiss tank are really cool compaired to some others. I love the treads and the mouting position but they seem to be at too much of an angle. Just my opinion on that one aspect but the whole thing is just KILLER! I can see where others are going with the concept vehicle but this just looks nothing like that vehicle. I can say it reminds me of it but honestly does not look the same. I think your base vehicle could be modded into that if you were to take a different rout. I LOVE the cage you added for the gunner, totally bad ass and a bit more realistic for me. I am also glad you forgot the desert paint scheme and went with this one. It seems everyone goes with a desert worn look. As far as the missles, I like them, even just on one side. Joe stuff doesn't have to make sense, look at all the wonky vehicles they have released! This is a perfect vehicle for the Joe universe, well done!

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
« Reply #474 on: September 18, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
epicness... maybe u can have a separate elevation for the top cannon? it looks like an artillery cannon when u lift up the top turret's cockpit frame thing

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #475 on: September 18, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
I think the "lopsided" missile-mounting is fine.  The Bradley only has a missile-box on one side, too.  Plus, I think the roll-cage looks a lot better than the gunner just being exposed.  I'm not bothered at all by the tilted treads - it's a Joe/Cobra vehicle, after all.  It LOOKS good - and for Joe-stuff, that's the deciding factor, imo.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #476 on: September 18, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »
Love the finished product! I think it looks better than the stock version of the new HISS tank. If Hangarbay hooks me up with some tank treads I'm going to build something like this.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:05:57 PM by CloneSniper78 »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #477 on: September 18, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »
thanks guys.  I've decided to go ahead and straiten the treads.  Won't be a dificult fix.  I'm then going to fix some painted spots, mainly on the turret and then i'll add some weathering and then coat the entire thing in a clear coat to protect the decals and the paint job...

I was thining that maybe the ice dagger (is that it? idk...), the arctic joe vehicle that was blue with the pop up missile box in the back end... that was release for the ROC line might be a good base for another kit-bash using these treads. 

now I've got to figure out what to do with the ROC tank's awkward looking top half...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #478 on: September 18, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
Send it to me...  :D

Yep on the Ice Dagger - I have one sitting about, waiting on me to have time to whip out a custom from it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
I seem to remember a rather awesome at-st like vehicle you made using styrene and am thinking that body attached to some at-st legs might look cool!