Author Topic: spudafett's vehicles (last update: mando speeder video!!!)  (Read 86362 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: spudafett's custom vehicles
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
Dam bro atleast now I dont feel to bad about the mess on my work area just call it organized chaos. Makes everything easy to find.

lol is that a crack about how messy my work station is?  I am actually realy bothered by how messy it is right now.  All my finished figures are basically piled up in the corner of my desk, I bumped it the other day and they all fell off the rack I'd built and I never put them back :(.  I havn't had time to just sit down and pick through everything and clean it up!  Every ounce of free time I've had to work on things has been devoted to projects, and the projects just pile up and make more of a mess!   ::)

anyways, a little update on the at-rt:

Got the parts primed and the LED's picked out and the battery pack worked up.  The battery pack is going to be 3 button cell batteries in a plastic tube to hold them together and a set of wires to each end of the pack that will be soldered to the  batteries.  There will be two white LED's in the front of the at-rt as spotlights, one white LED on the gun which will be able to move with the gun, as well as  a red LED shining up on the figure from the control pannel.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »
ok, here we go guys.  I couldn't get an LED on the gun to work like I'd wanted to but here are the results of my LED work:

as you can see there are two white LED's in the front as "spotlights" and then one red LED in the control pannel that will shine up on the rider

Like this:

sorry for the blurry, small pics but I didn't have time to set up my tri-pod and take decent photos...  I'll get more shots after I get the walker painted tonight. 

btw... if anyone (hangarbay, squirepec?) would like to take that first image and photoshop the color details onto it to give me some ideas for how to paint my red on black color scheme onto this sucker I'd love to see it!  I'd realy like to have a refereance of an idea on how to paint my colors onto it, but I have no idea where to start.... someone with a more aesthetic mind should give me a template!!!!!

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
very nice, that thing is going to be insane when its finished. Great job!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
Sweet work, Spud. You are the LED guru. Cant wait to see this one painted up.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #319 on: April 02, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »
Dude, that is tight!  Awesome work!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #320 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
Sweet work, Spud. You are the LED guru. Cant wait to see this one painted up.

thanks, it's not realy that hard.  you just need to get practiced with a soldering iron and solder and then have a mind for how the wiring has to be set up, be able to plan ahead and make sure everything is going to fit where you want it to before you start hacking up whatever your working on...

I put the switch in the bottom of the walker right behind the "hips" because I have a few little greeblies and additions I want to put onto the back of the walker to make it more realistic instead of toony.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2010, 04:42:49 AM »
That is awesome Spud. I love the red control panel glow on the trooper. I need to try this sometime. I have saved a few led's from junk toys, store displays and book light that broke. I can't wait to see some paint on this thing!

Offline the awesome jawa

• Ensign
  • 'UTINNI!' - random awesome jawa
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2010, 05:09:17 AM »
that is inzanely cool! awesome work
'help us awesome jawas, you're are only hope!'

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »
its lookin wicked devin! cant wait to see this one painted up!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:06 AM »
Daggone this is downright phenomenal. On the front page Devin. As usual.  I loved the Bossk and now this. I would love to see this on an at-st too. Looks awesome.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »
Turned out great, I always like seeing added features such as the led work on ships, adds depth. Do you have these set up on watch batteries or AAA for power?

Offline Mando Commando

• The Vintage Collector
  • Commander
  • Uttini!
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »
Nice vehicles!  Really liking that AT-RT! bbfet

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
I have saved a few led's from junk toys, store displays and book light that broke. I can't wait to see some paint on this thing!
You'd have better luck buying brand new LED's from someone who has packaged the correct resistors with them...  using junk LED's in old toys before I've ran accross some that don't have resistors, or the correct resistors, and wiring an LED without a resistor you can easilly overload it and destroy it... trust me, I have ruined several.... :(
good news is that they are actually very cheap and readily available on e-bay and at electronics stores...

. I would love to see this on an at-st too. Looks awesome.
Thanks, I have been toying with the at-st trying to decide whether or not to mess with it... theres a few problems I've run into though... 1: hasbro went all out and realy hid the construction of the cockpit/head area very well, I just can't figure out how to take the sucker apart! 2: Even if I could take it apart I don't think there is any room for a battery compartment that makes logical sense....  3: other than lights in the cockpit I realy don't know where I'd put any other lights to make the project worth doing.... 

Do you have these set up on watch batteries or AAA for power?
There was very little room inside the vehicle, a double AA or tripple AA battery wouldn't fit...   I wish I'd taken a photo of the set up but it's almost identicle to what I did for the freeco bike.   In both vehicles I used 3 button cell watch batteries.  They are small and give enough voltage to light up the LED's correctly and will last a long time without having to be changed, which is good because getting inside this vehicle is a B@#$@ and changing the batteries will be too....

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Devin. How about the book light? It wasn't a cheap one. It telescoped taller and the plactic broke but the wires, led and battery holder are perfect.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »
Thanks for the info Devin. How about the book light? It wasn't a cheap one. It telescoped taller and the plactic broke but the wires, led and battery holder are perfect.

I would think that if you use ONLY the LED that was in the booklight to begin with, and ONLY the battery pack that it used then taking it apart and wiring it into a custom should be fine.  It's when you start trying to use LED's from something like that with a different power sourcer or adding more LED's to the circuit that wern't originally there when you run into problems.   If you use it with the same wiring set up as the original booklight then I think you should be able to use it just fine.