Author Topic: spudafett's vehicles (last update: mando speeder video!!!)  (Read 86392 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: spudafett's custom vehicles
« Reply #240 on: December 17, 2009, 08:00:30 PM »
Mate the speeders all look great but the camo speeder is awesome.

Ron

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #241 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
I realy hope that camo speeder is awesome enough that i can get rid of it..... 

That one, plus several other speeders have been put up on e-bay.  EVERYONE please go check it out, if you don't see anything you'd like then please send a link to someone who might be interested... I realy need the money and I realy need to get rid of these.

http://shop.ebay.com/custom_scoundrels/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #242 on: December 17, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »
You and me both man.. I had sold my Custom Elite Speeder on eBay only to have the guy not pay in the end... now it's back up and my combat speeder is about to go up as well.. needing money sucks... :\

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »
well... I owe my parents a good sum of money now for a variety of things... and I'm going to have to start paying on student loans soon...  And I don't have a job (yet...)... so, yeah... not having a source of income sucks.

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
  • "All right clankers, SUCK LASER!"Clone Trooper Jek
    • JediMaster432
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Im a sucker for any camo custom. Great job spud.
"Army or not, you must realize you are DOOMED!"

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:55 AM »
Great speeder run, Spud. I like the flashy colours a lot, but yeah, that camo speeder really rocks. Great work, bud!

droidbait

« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »
alot of customs but there all great

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »
not realy a vehicle but it's for transportation so I'm putting it in this thread.

after cloneheads comment about the dewback and my nile monitor being so similar, and if the dewback had the same coloration it'd be hard to tell the difference, I've decided to customize the dewback.

to start with I wanted to attempt opening his mouth.  I took my exacto knife and sliced open the mouth along the groove of his lips.  I then trimmed it up a bit and got this result:

as you can see the head is hollow, as is the body I'm sure.  this makes it very interesting...  When you squeeze the head like I am in the picture his mouth will open wider.  I don't know yet how I might add to the mouth's inside, but I'd like to be able to add teath and a toungue of some kind.  I need to do some background research on the dewback and see if there is any established information on it.   I know someone mentioned somewhere that the dewback was suposed to be herbivorous and NOT eat my rebels.... so I'm thinking baout adding some kind of crushing or grinding teeth to the inside of his mouth.

I havn't figured out HOW i'll do that yet though.

my second plan of action on this is to paint a diamond pattern in black and grey colors along his back to simulate a more scaley apearance....  I'm not sure yet though if I realy want to do this as I don't think it's cannon...  but that has never been a real issue with any of my other customs! :P lol

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »
You could easily mold into the bottom of the jaw some nice flat grass eating molars and tongue out of sculpt.  You should also be able to do the top of the mouth while the bottom is out.

I guess the hard part will be in re-attaching and either getting a hinge jaw back, or some other way to open and close it.

Cool idea though and I would really love to paint one of these... adding lots of dark wash, and dry brushing would bring out the scales and colors alot.

Keep us posted!!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »
main problem sten is that they didn't realy sculpt this with scales.  It has a more leather like texture to it.  It's hard to explain.
Have you ever seen a turtles skin? that would be the best way to describe the type of texture they went with.  It's not scaley like a snake or lizzard like I would expect it to be.   there are some lizzards with leather like skin though....  most interestingly I ran accross a breeder of Bearded Dragons a while back that sells a breed of dragon they call a "silk back".  They've basically bread the scales right off of them!  Much like breeding furless dogs or cats, these are lizards who ahve been bred to have no scales.   The most interesting thing about these scaleless lizards is that the color paterns which would normally be on their scales is depicted in their skin!  it's very cool looking (but they are also highly expensive!)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »
Here is a link to that breeder of bearded dragons:
http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragons/projects.html

this is what I was talking about, compare the picture of a normal bearded dragon to that of the silkback

how weird is that?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:51 AM »
reading up on the dewback on wookiepedia I've decided that my orignal plan of giving it a molted pattern similar to my nile monitor's pattern is definately consistent with established lore about the dewback.

but doing some research on different depictions of the dewback I found this:

it's a gentle giant sculpture, and I think it realy puts the detail into the scales that the new hasbro version lacks.

as you can see, hasbro's version looks like it emphasized a more leathery hide than that of a scale covered hide:

I realy wish they hadn't done that....   

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
ok, so I think I might have found out why hasbro changed the style....  apparently the new figure is based on the depiction of the dewback in the phantom menace....  apparently the anatomy and style of the animal was changed for that movie.  This explains the smaller head and less stocky build of the body that I've been wondering about... 

I found this image on rebelscum humorous, look at the difference between all three versions of the dewback:

seeing them side by side I realy do like the new version's shape and size alot better...  but I realy hate the lack of scales...

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:57 AM »
Very interesting project, Spud, you've done a lot of research to it already. Wookieepedia also states Dewbacks were omnivorous, so maybe you could make teeth out of white plastic toothpicks and make the points a bit blunt?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
Yeah, when you put em side by side like that, the new version does look better.