Author Topic: spudafett's vehicles (last update: mando speeder video!!!)  (Read 86330 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: spudafett's custom vehicles
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2009, 04:19:16 AM »
That turned out great, Devin! Plan on that one making it to the front page today.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »
Very cool Spud. I always have wanted to make an ugly from Rogue Squadron.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
thanks guys, there are a few cracks between the engines and the wing pylons so I'm a little disapointed about that, but it isn't very noticable and they are holding realy well.  I used apoxi sculpt on both the tie body and the engines to fill in the holes and make a nice even gluable surface to attach them together. Unfourtunately when I went to glue them together the apoxi sculpting I'd done wasn't evenly flat.  I shaved at it with the exacto knife and got it close enough for each engine to be glued on securely however.  I just hope that it will be able to survive a trip through the mail.... it should.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »
Looks great, that one is now on the front page!

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »
Great job bro! Love it

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2009, 05:49:56 AM »
Looks sweet Devin!  I can't wait to get this one in!  My custom work to-do list is ever growing, it seems!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »

got a freeco bike yesterday....  definately have to get rid of that clone wars deco... but I havn't had any ideas of what to do with it... any ideas!?

I'm thinking about adding some extra wing/fins/stabalizers to the front and some weopons. 

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2009, 02:11:45 AM »
Oh yea, that's just waiting for some additions!

Offline Clone_General_1977

• Commander
  • "We're Airborne, We're Meant To Be Surrounded"
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2009, 06:53:56 AM »
I would just use some nail polish remover. I used it on a republic back pack but, my wife got pissed because I used it.

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
That thing just looks silly... like an X-wing tadpole... give it some wings or fins or something... can't wait to see what you do with it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2009, 09:03:05 AM »
I would just use some nail polish remover. I used it on a republic back pack but, my wife got pissed because I used it.

LOL. LOL again. Spud I would go with an imperial grey with some blaster marks and perhaps an imperial symbol with some more heavy weapony, some small wings off the side or attached to the engines with some cannons would be cool too.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2009, 05:33:18 PM »
well after seeing Doc's work on the CORPS! hovercraft I just had to get one too... the vehicle is a realy nice looking toy to begin with.  I'm realy impressed actually at the construction on this thing.  and at 10.00 from wal-mart it's hard to pass up!

the construction lends itself to customizing like no other vehicle I've worked with.  This hovercraft doesn't have a single screw in it! everything is tab and socket clips.  Some of the clips were dificult to get unattached, like the engine rings, so a flathead screwdriver came in handy.  The ability to just pop off the parts is going to make painting a sinch!

anyway, enough talking about it here is what I have done so far... just like doc I got carried away and started this project before I got a picture of the stock toy! DOH!...  but this is pretty close:

as you can see I've added a couple things already.  The large "gatlin gun" cannon on the front was added by drilling a groove in the "hood" and then laying it down into that.  I'll glue it on after I paint everything, right now it's just in there by friction.  There is also a small gun on top that is an old plastic boat model part, I have no idea where it came from, it was in a fodder box of old model parts...

I've added parts to the engine housing alot like how Doc did his.  I used the same film canister caps for the front, I realy liked the look of that...  and the back part is a couple PVC pipe fittings I had left over from my old spud gunning material bins...  My plan is to leave the very center of the film canister lids unpainted and clear and put a red LED inside the engine ring so that the light will shine out from the lid....

ok, here we have the inside and bottom of the hovercraft.  I've cut a hold in the bottom and slid in a battery compartment for two AA batteries.  This battery compartment came from a christmas light DISPLAY at walgreens.  if you've ever been in there around this time of year you'll notice that most of the cardboard light displays have a "try me" light string built into the box...  When the display box becomes empty of product they throw these displays away... When I worked there I would rip open the displays and take out the battery packs, wires, and lights.  I used to use them as battery packs for spud gun projects, but they have come in handy for alot of things!  If you have a walgreens local to you I would ask to see if they would let you have the empty display cases....   

anyway, the battery pack will eventually power several LED lights I plan on adding to the vehicle.  I plan on putting two Red LED's inside the engines, a red LED light in the "vents" there infront of the engines, two white LED's in the front as headlights, and I MIGHT put some in the cockpit....  I still don't know if I'm going to tackle trying to make the cockpit see through, if I don't there'd be no point in puting lights in there....

well... what do you guys think!?  I'm torn between making this a "speeder" or trying to add wings to it and making it a space fighter... what do you all think I should do?  I know doc's is going to be a speeder so I may decide to do the fighter just because I don't want to be a coppy cat! lol

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2009, 06:59:30 PM »
well... since I've been working on this thing I can't put it down!  I've set up some mock wings in two different configurations and I've decided on which one I'm going to use but I thought I'd get your all's input anyway.

I could go with a set of very broad sweeping wings like this:

or keep the "boxy" feel of the vehicle and add some short stumpy wings that act more as weopons platforms:

I think I'm going to go with the smaller set.... but what do you guys think?

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
I like the small winglets =) and it's coming out great Spud!! Awesome job!!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »
I agree.  It is turning out great, Spud!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore