Author Topic: spudafett's vehicles (last update: mando speeder video!!!)  (Read 86375 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: spudafett's custom vehicles
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 05:53:22 AM »
Kinda like the German Stug III of WWII, then?  Or the modern-day "engineering tank."  I'm thinkin' with all the added weapons that it looks like an anime-special... and given the anime style of the CW, it fits right in.

Many a time I've been in one in BFII and WISHED I'd had a pair of guns like you have mounted right in front of the cockpit!!  Getting a Droid wedged inbetween your mandibles where ya can't quite shoot him is SOOOO frustrating!!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
lol I knew someone would like those middle guns.

I thought it looked very animeish too... I'm glad that it doesn't pull away from the vehicle and make it look too cartoonish...

I'm adding a big "cooling grid" thingy to the back of the tank, I figure with all the heat generated by the added guns it would need a better cooling system...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
GAR I think means Grand Army of the Republic, but I could be wrong usually am. I like those side cannons with the bullet belts, really cool feature.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
tamer that sounds about right...

got to thinking more about it today, even sketched a digram on the back of my hydro test I got back... (which I failed with a 38/100! yipea!)

I think I am going to use the sanding drum on the dremel and sand down the curved edges on the turret and give it some sharper angles.

I also think I am going to go with a non-environment specific color scheme.

I feel that this vehicle would be designed as a replacement for the ATTP (the ugly 3 legged walker).  So a generic grey and black color scheme just like the walkers usually have is something I think I'm going to try.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
GAR= Grand Army of the Republic
First I want to say that I love the tank. ANY custom is better than stock =) I think what I was trying to point out is that no army would "over outfit" a fighting vehicle. Too many weapons and you over power the crew and give them too much to drive, track and shoot. The added turret also gives it a very high side profile. I like it though, and I like the direction you're going in. Sometimes I forget that it's a fictional world =)  

GAR?   I'm not familiar with that term.

I also don't understand how the larger turret gives it a limited range... do you mean limited mobility and deployment range, or limit firepower range?

I'm thinking of this vehicle as a specialized high speed high powered cannon on wheels.. well... repulsors...
It is called in to quickly destroy enemy shields, blow through entrenchments and other barriers and then get out of the way. 

I also figure that the vehicle's cockpits would be nearly enclosed anyway and have an array of sensors and equipment to allow the pilot/gunners the ability to target from the protection of the inside of the vehicle.

have you ever looked at a modern day tank?  they have almost NO open windows or viewports, everything is done with camera's and such to protect the soldiers inside. 

btw the main cannon on top does swivel 360 degrees as well as can be tilted up to a steeper angle.

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
I think the ATAP would look a lot better with just two legs.  I also think there should be an IFT version with gi-normous missile-launchers in place of its guns.  I had an idea on how to build the pods for it...  Just gotta see now if it *works*!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:59 PM »
oooo that was an idea I had too doc.  I was eyeing the boy's helfire droid as we were packing it going... those missile batteries would be perfect for customs!  All you would need to do would be drill holes for the pegs on those suckers to outfit them on a new vehicle...

as for the side profile I see what you mean about it being tall now... but heck look at the AT-AT! that's the most IMPRACTICAL of all star wars ground vehicles! lol

As for giving the driver's too much to track and control I think I'm going to add an astromech or another droid of some sort to the mix to give the vehicle an "automated" targeting system that would help aleviate the issue of having so many weopons!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
as so requested I added an LED to the speeder:

I broke my red LED so I wound up using blue:

I put some scratches in the paint on accident while I was putting in the LED... but I kinda liked how it looked with parts of the old paint showing through so I put a few more scratches in there....

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
Looks good, the paint on the speeder bike  fits the fig very nicely

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »
video is up on youtube on how I did the LED:

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »
Wow, I love how those scratches look! That blue led looks great also.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »
Good vid, too!  I'll be on the lookout for those blinking LED strands this year.

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »
     Haha, you're right, I totally misunderstood the racing concept... I was thinking the ship was converted for planetary racing and given repulsorlift engines (like landspeeders), but now that I know it's hyperspace racing, I see why it has the astromech. Although I am still confused about how you can make a hyperspace jump in "the least amount of parsecs" since a parsec is actually a measurement of distance... So basically when Han said he made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, it was like saying he ran a mile-long race in less than a mile, hah!
     I guess the only way it could make sense is if you have to jump to certain landmarks (spacemarks?) along a route, and you can shave distance off by jumping closer to those places, like taking the inside track when running a track race... the difficulty could then be in your precision when jumping so close to things, because the closer you get, the more likely you are to hyper-jump into them. Or something, I dunno, lol.

As for that imperial speeder with the L.E.D., freakin' sweet!  I love that LED, and it totally makes me want to wire up my Virago, but I have a feeling I would totally break it... I think I tried taking an Action Fleet apart and it wouldn't give even after taking off all the screws... must be glued and screwed, I guess. Also don't know how I would change the batteries once I got it all in there. I love how you just kinda crammed all the wires under the body, hilarious! You definitely need to light up more vehicles.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 06:11:56 AM »
The speeder bike looks even better with the LED in there. Thanks for the video, I would love to try something like that.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 07:56:12 AM »
Although I am still confuse about how you can make a hyperspace jump in "the least amount of parsecs" since a parsec is actually a measurement of distance... So basically when Han said he made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, it was like saying he ran a mile-long race in less than a mile, hah!
     I guess the only way it could make sense is if you have to jump to certain landmarks (spacemarks?) along a route, and you can shave distance off by jumping closer to those places, like taking the inside track when running a track race... the difficulty could then be in your precision when jumping so close to things, because the closer you get, the more likely you are to hyper-jump into them. Or something, I dunno, lol.

actually your completely right.

A parsec is a meassure of distance.  The thinking was that when making hyperspace jumps You have to go in strait lines.  Because of this your navigational computer (or astromech) would have to calculate strait line jumps in a series to get to your destination.  Because, as han said "flying through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops boy, you miscalculate we could fly right through a star or come out to close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick wouldn't it?!"
(or something like that my memory is a little fuzzy with all these pain killers...)

so basically... to get from point A- Point B you would like to fly in a strait line, but you can't because there is stuff in the way.  but the close your nav-computer can get you to a strait line the "quicker" you will arive at your destination. 

make sense?

of curse, at sub-light speeds star wars craft still perform regularly and would compete for who would be the fastest in a short closed circuit (like, I'll race you to the moon and back!)....