Author Topic: Luke Sprywalker's Custom Action Figures from 2009-2012  (Read 225172 times)

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
Re: Luke Sprywalker Customs Updated 1/14 Rebels and Imperials
« Reply #795 on: January 14, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
Those re really awesome LE!

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #796 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
awesome man im a sucker for camo they are all really cool ;D

Offline kreeper2

• Brigadier
« Reply #797 on: January 14, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Superb job sir!!!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #798 on: January 15, 2011, 04:03:43 AM »
nice w.i.p.s

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #799 on: January 15, 2011, 07:25:52 AM »
This is going to be another riviting project, mr Spry.
I really like that one rebel with the trenchcoat.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #800 on: January 15, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
Thanks guys, and Clint do you like the soft goods trenchcoat or the plastic one with Russian Soldier torso? Also what do you guys think about the camo I painted? I think it is close but no ciggar. One more touch up with tan will get it closer...I think. I would really like to hear some input from you guys on this.

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #801 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »
i think it looks spot on

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #802 on: January 15, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »
Thanks guys, and Clint do you like the soft goods trenchcoat or the plastic one with Russian Soldier torso? Also what do you guys think about the camo I painted? I think it is close but no ciggar. One more touch up with tan will get it closer...I think. I would really like to hear some input from you guys on this.
the soft goods one. I think that your camo is close but it seems a bit shiny in the pics. did you dullcote it already?

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #803 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »
wow man! These look amazing.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #804 on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
No dullcote yet just paint. The soft goods coat has a mutt williams body under there. I want to get 4 more of the VOTC figures.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #805 on: January 15, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
I've always thought the original camo pattern looked like it was a tie-dye approach using camo-style colors.  That makes a tough target to shoot for!  To *my* eye - personal opinion here! - that rust-brown color is too thick and noticeable.  Comparing to the prototype pics, I think you need to put a dot of it and then smear it with the Q-tip - almost like a weathering approach.  Please note - I haven't taken on this camo pattern because I haven't figured out how best to replicate it, so all my suggestions are SWAGs!  The only small-scale camos I have ever actually nailed have been US Woodland *once* and US 6-color "chocolate chip" Desert *once*!  Best of luck and I am watching with high interest!

Offline Darklord1967

• Roberto DARKLORD Williams
  • Ensign
  • Peace, Love, Elegance, and Excellence to all!
« Reply #806 on: January 15, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
Hey Luke!

I'm really loving those custom Rebels!!!  And my vote for best trench coat definitely goes to the soft goods version!

Also, I could not agree with you more regarding a lack of Hasbro love for AT-ST Drivers .  The latest Driver we've gotten (pack-in figure with the Attack on Hoth BP) is a figure that looks a little awkward to me, anatomically speaking.  That's a shame too, because I really dig the concept of the AT-ST seat harness that is included with him.   But I'd almost rather customize the AT-ST vehicle cockpit itself to feature the seat harnesses (made with soft grey ribbon or whatever), than to have it as part of the figure (removable or not).

As for the AT-ST Driver itself, I have definitely borrowed another page out of the Legacy Imperial Scanning Crewman book (here we go again).  First Boba, now AT-ST Drivers  ;D

To my eyes, the ISC definitely  provides the best starting point body for some nice custom AT-ST Drivers.  The black gauntlets replacement probably are best obtained from the SAGA Han Solo AT-ST Driver .  My problem is the number of Driver's I have to make.  With six AT-STs in my collection, I need to make at least 12 drivers.

As far as the driver's helmet is concerned, I think you selected some interesting ones for your custom.  I just think hasbro has been a bit  spotty on making a nice version of this helmet.  The SAGA General Veers version is really strange and warped-looking so I agree with your negative assessment of it .  I assume when you refer to the decent Dremeled out POTF2 helmet (with visors) you're referring to the POTF2 AT-ST Driver figure.  The recent vintage collection AT-AT Commander helmet is pretty nice, sharp and straight.  I'm just not crazy about the Transparent goggles (when they should be Black tinted).  It's a shame too, because I really appreciate the fact that the goggles are a separate accessory.  I suppose they could just be painted, though.

Some time ago, I experimented with a  Dremeled out helmet from the POTF2  General Veers pack-in action figure that came with the AT-AT.  That figure makes  a really nice straight, neat looking helmet (with goggles  in the up position)

The greenish-grey tint of the helmet is actually appropriate too since the helmet appears to be that color in some shots in RETURN OF THE JEDI (during Chewie's AT-ST hijacking).  The helmet also appears as straight grey in other shots of that same hijacking scene, so I suppose BOTH colors could arguably be considered correct. ;D

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:03:30 PM by Darklord1967 »

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #807 on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:01 PM »
Cool IMP.

Offline gwest

• Lieutenant
« Reply #808 on: January 15, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
I think the greens are spot-on.

I think the dark brown spots are a little too thick.  Particularly on the POTF2 figure.

I mean, if you are going for absolute screen accuracy, it's a little off.

If you are wanting to paint an awesome camo deco, you hit a home-run.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #809 on: January 16, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. Roberto, thanks man and you are right It meant the POTF2, i missed the 2. That Veers helmet looks just right! Man I don't know if I can bring myself to hollow one of my 2 Veers pack ins. That was my favorite figure back durring the POTF2 days. I too like the harness on the drivers and had thought about the flat string product I use for things like that and gun slings. The other 2 guys are meant to be support troops, just trying out some ideas with them, not seen in the film or anything.

Gwest, thanks for the critique. I see your points and agree with everything. I plan to touch it up to be closer to screen accurate but man is this a hard camo to duplicate at this scale!