Author Topic: What are you reading now?  (Read 40516 times)

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
Re: What are you reading now?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
Scored some more books this morning, and also have one coming to me from Ebay:-

SECOND BOOK SHOP SCORE:
Edge of Victory I - Conquest
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Assault at Selonia
Splinter of the Mind's Eye (First Edition)

Got these all for $3.05

EBAY SCORE:
First Edition Excellent Condition Star Wars RPG (WEG)

Got this for a steal $14.00, however it only cost me $5.00, as my Mum in England paid for it as a Birthday Present, however she did also buy me the Vintage Yoda as well that I scored.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 02:39:42 PM »
Right now, I'm reading "Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction."  I'm about 1/3 way into it, and it's pretty good so far.  It's very interesting to see how one of the Greatest Sith Lords in SW history came to be.  I can't wait to finish this one and get the 2nd one.  I also read over at Star Wars.com that the author is writing the 3rd installment of the Darth Bane trilogy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
I am having a heck of a time getting Invincible from our local library, but I think my wife just found the book in a neighboring town.  I don't have the other 8 or so books from this so I am not gonna buy it yet. I will hopefully have it by the weekend. I am anxious to see if Jaina gets after ole Caedus and vice versa.

I just finished the new Shananarra books (probably spelled that wrong) which was a story about the aftermath of world wide nuclear wars and the refugess strugging to find a majic utopia to protect them from the total end. It was a good read.

I am just starting a David Weber series titled, "Armagedeon's Reef" that seems like it might be good if I can get past all the church stuff in it. It is talking about all kinds of corruption and how the church is corrupt. The good news is there are bad aliens called the Gbaba entent on wiping out all humanity so there is some hope for it.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »
Well, I just finished "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction," and it was awesome.  Very good book, and I'll probably go out tomorrow and pick up "Rule of Two."  The author, Drew Karpyshyn, was also on the creative team who designed the KOTOR video games, so there were a lot of allusions to things from there.  If you haven't read these books yet, it's well worth the read.

The Shanara books, by Terry Brooks I believe, were some very good books.  I had read the original trilogy of books years ago and greatly enjoyed them.  I didn't realize that these new books took place in a more modern time.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
The Shanara books, by Terry Brooks I believe, were some very good books.  I had read the original trilogy of books years ago and greatly enjoyed them.  I didn't realize that these new books took place in a more modern time.

Thats how you spell that. Yeah, these books are in a different time period, but use some of the same races of characters and some of the same people as the previous books we liked. I am not a die hard Brooks fan, but it was there and then I had to go and read em all. I think it is well worth the read. It is kind of a fantasy story in the aftermath of a nuclear war in the US.

I will have to check out the Bane books. Man, I thought that wave hasbro did was awesome and this one of the best. I would love to know the backstory on him. On that same note, my wife finally found Invincible and reserved it for me. I should be seeing Jaina kick Jacen's butt here in a few weeks.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »
I went out to find the 2nd book in the Darth Bane series, only to find it was still in hard back, and I'm not paying $26 for it either.  I guess I could start on the New Jedi Order series, since I haven't read one book from there yet.  Then I can begin with that last series.  As for the new Shanara books, what is the first book in this series.  I may pick it up, though it's probably been 10 years or more since I last read any of these.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
I am not sure of the first title as I started with the second book, but the series is called "The Genisis of Shanara". The last book was called Gypsy Morph.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »
Well, I have dove into the LOTR trilogy again. I am done with the first book and am pretty close to wrapping up the Two Towers, the second book.
  I read an interview with Christopher Lee (Saruman) where he claimed to read the trilogy once every year.

Offline Darth Caedus

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
i havent been keeping up but from what i have heard terry brooks did 3 books that take place in present time. the first one is called running with the demon. they follow the adventures of john ross, a knight of the word, and a girl named nest freemark and concern the word(good) vs. the void(evil). now apparantly(again just what i heard) the genesis of shanara series is about how the world goes from modern day to the future which is where the sword of shanara takes place.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 04:50:42 PM »
DC, I saw that Knight of the Word Series and there are a couple of em that are prominent in this new Genosis of Shanara series. I might have to give those a read too. I really enjoyed the series though.

Guess what the wife brought home from Interlibrary loan this weekend? I am now gonna see if Jaina kicks some brother tail. Invincible is gonna get one of my evenings this week. One evening you don't see me on here you know what I will be reading!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
Well I just finished "Invinbible" yesterday and must say I didn't like how it ended much. Anyone else care to comment. I am interested in seeing Darth Caedus' take on it.

I am also starting to loose interest in the David Weber series I am reading. I was hoping it would be further technologically along now, but they are still sailing around in 1600 and early 1700 naval ships. I wanted to see em get past that and start prepping for the bad guys (Gbaba). It is my guess that Weber is gonna try to get a long run out of this storyline, but he had better get it further along if he wants me to read past one more book. The characters are likeable, but this whole thing started out as a colony to protect against the bad aliens who wiped out Earth and we are still sailing on wooden boats here!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:47:56 AM by Tamer »

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 10:50:46 AM »
I read "Jedi Search," and it was a good read.  Now I need to decide if I want to start the 2nd book in that particular 3-part series, or go back to Darth Bane: Path of Two.  Of course, now that I'm back at work, I will have less time to read...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »
I'm reading LOTR book 3 Return of the King now.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
Just finished Order 66,   Not sure what to make of it yet, good start, middle but the end? , No spoilers but I just didn't care for that part.

I have Millenium Falcon ordered so I should have it by mid week.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
Just finished Order 66,   Not sure what to make of it yet, good start, middle but the end? , No spoilers but I just didn't care for that part.

I have Millenium Falcon ordered so I should have it by mid week.

Daggone it! I wanted Order 66 to end good. I have been faithfully following that series!