Author Topic: Popy Toys - Circa 1979 -81  (Read 3991 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Popy Toys - Circa 1979 -81
« on: September 24, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
Hi folks...

A while back my son got into Power Rangers and being the child at heart that I am I went searching for the coolest Japanese toys I could find.

When I was a kid I used to collect Popy toys, they are worth a fortune now, but at the time I only knew of one shop that sold them, so they were really special. When I get the chance I place bids on old popy toys and I've now got myself a small collection.

When I say small I mean small, I''ve been buying these tiny little toys called Gashapons. they are minitre replicas of some of the old japanese toys from the 70's. They come in small boxes and are incredibly detailed. My kids love them. Some of the small Robots have all of the same componets of the much larger toys, so a toy the size of my index fingure can break up into several smaller space vehicles. They really are amazing.

I love the Japanese attention to detail and their designs are so wacky, really unique. My favourite toy (and no-one apart from me is allowed to touch it is my Prized Jaguar Vulcan. Apparently it was a vehicle from a very early late 70's version of Power Rangers called Super Sentai. What amazed me is how after 30 odd years they are still essentially making the same show, and every week the story is the same. Bad guy comes, makes a monster, monster get beaten, monster turns into a Huge Monster 100's of feet high, Monster gets beaten. World is saved by a bunch of kids wearing Spandex and motocycle helmets. Those Japanese are crazy, but they sure do make cool toys.

Anyhow here is my prized toy...Jaguar Vulcan.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Popy Toys - Circa 1979 -81
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »
Those are very cool Jules. That Jaguar is awesome man. I also like the all black one in the corner. It reminds me of a robot toy I had as a kid. It looked very similar but mine had some red and yellow accents, a cross bow fixed on his left arm and a sword on the right. Thanks for sharing...