Author Topic: Karen Traviss' RC Series  (Read 23127 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Karen Traviss' RC Series
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
Finished Hard Contact last night, starting on Triple Zero tonight.  Been a pretty good book so far.  It's very interesting to see not only how the Jedi influence the clones, but how the clones influence the Jedi as well.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:07 PM »
Just a tip Pat Read the short story at the back first before you start  Trip Z it same again for True Colors if i remember correctly

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 10:21:07 PM »
Traviss is flat-out AMAZING!  The RC series is one of two motivators that finally pushed me into getting serious about my customizing figs.  (for the other reason, see "fan-fic links" in this forum)

Brendan and I plan to do a major diorama of the "apartment scene" from Triple Zero, with ALL the squad-members, Null Arcs, Mando's, Jedi, and other hangers-on who appeared.  Ambitious?  Of course!!  Worth it?  HELL YEAH!!  Homage to the queen, and all! 

I even have Trooper Corr with his prosthetic hands!

Of course, having an SA Commando would be a significant help...I'll buy at least eight...at least...!

If you're not absolutely devoted to the Katarn armor being all bulky like the poorly-articulated figure Hasbro gave us, you could always do what I did and just chop the sail-fin off the SA mark I clone troopers and paint them up... if you add enough gear and greeblies and backpacks where appropriate, you can have yourself a very good looking RC indeed! I wanna know all the details of this diorama, by the way.... who you use for all the characters especially, I'd love to know how other people envisioned the characters that have never been visualized before! Jusik and Etain and whichever civilians they had picked up bu that time... it's going to be glorious!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
I finished "Triple Zero" the other day at work, so tonight I start on "True Colors."  I'm so addicted to this series, and every page I read pisses me off more and more that Lucas went and SCREWED it all up.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
I'm half-way through Imperial Commando: 501st now, and each page makes me more and more angry about Lucas pissing Karen off like that.  Still, this has been one of the best novel series I've ever read.  I can't remember another series I've been so engrossed in, with characters I've been so enthralled with.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
I am still pissed about this one,

On one hand I hope another author picks up the story line just so I can see and have some resolution with story lines, but it still won't be the same with out her writtin it,
then on the other hand, I know it is Lucas' right to do what he wants, but man things like this really T me off and really taint my taste for newer SW stories, items and so forth. I hate changes in direction from years of "established" works he authorized.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 07:19:18 PM »
We the fans NEED this closure on this series.  We DESERVE it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
I just wish it didn't have to be a culture that true fans idolize. Heck, make it Mon Calimari or the Quarren, something anything other than Mandalore. Heck, Karen created a whole great civilization with this series and now we are left hanging. I just hope someone finishes the story. It is kind of like me and the Halo books, Nylund is the author, but I didn't mind some of the others written by different authors. Did anyone notice that our Karen has written a "Halo" story? Interesting. I am so looking forward to the Forerunner series, since George officialy peed all over this one.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
I agree we need some closure, but if KT doesn't do it, I don't want it.

Old George really screwed up this one, BIG TIME.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
i totally agree, but what does he (GL) care!!

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
i totally agree, but what does he (GL) care!!

See that's the point, he doesn't care at all. He got all the money from the books, signings and such. Now he decided to destroy it, to make them all hug one another and be lame.

Being a member, though might as well be retired, of the mandalorian mercs costume club really doesn't make it as much fun any more wihtout KT, doing her stuffs.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
It took me months to finish reading the 1st book in this series, but then after the 2nd book they got better. I started caring about the characters. My one major complaint was too much Mandalorian lingo. Way too much. Felt like I was speaking Klingon, and we don't need that in Star Wars. I finished reading 501st when it came out months ago, and it was kind of weak. She could have wrapped it all up in that one, but I think she thought she was writing one more. Now I see why she quit after seeing  last weeks Clone Wars episode. But reading her Republic Commando books have made me love the Clones. I have around 150 clones plus almost all their machines. Now after seeing some of  the customizing work on this site, especially clones, I'm about to do some redecorating!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2010, 06:16:30 AM »
Now don't roast me here, as I do really like Karen and her work ( I am so hoping she gets into the Halo series), but for me I believe I would rather have this book finished in some fashion rather than just let it die alltogether.  Perhaps some allowances can be made on George's end (yeah I know I am a dreamer) for the Mandos to be the family guys and butt kickers we all know they are and Karen will sign back on. Now I ain't saying this for Karen, but sometimes authors get big heads and think thier work supersedes the entire story or genre. Lets face it, there are a ton of Star Wars books and we have seen successful series done by a series of authors, like the last Caedus storyline which was pretty good or the Vong series.  I too started off getting ticked when Zahn didn't just do all the Star Wars books, but saw that other SW authors could do as good a job. I also think the RC series' storyline is so fixed now that another author couldn't shoot it all the Hades and back too much an expect to have more work.  Ofcourse this is just my opinion and that and twenty five cents won't even get a phone call anymore.

All that being said, I love seeing everyone's opinion on this and think I am gonna front page this thread today with the question. Should the RC series be finished or left alone? Give me your opinion on this folks. I may be missing an angle here and change my mind because I ain't totally set on this yet.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »
How bout one of you finishes this. Here is the basic storyline! From Wookiepedia.

"In this followup to "Imperial Commando: 501st" the Clone Wars are over, and the Republic commandos now wear the white armor of the stormtroopers in service to the Galactic Empire. But not all those commandos are loyal to the Emperor, turning the fight against the rebels into a war between clone brothers! The newly-fledged Empire is strengthening its foothold on Mandalore, but Kal Skirata's clan of clone deserters and fugitive Jedi face a new threat as an older, more insidious enemy emerges from decades in hiding. The Death Watch is back. The loathed Mandalorian hardliners - the brutal nationalist faction that murdered Jango Fett's parents - are now on the Imperial payroll, threatening to bring civil war to the Mandalore sector. As Clan Skirata prepares to settle old scores, knowing they may lose the battle, Imperial commandos Darman and Niner arrive on a covert mission that will put them on a collision course with their former brothers. Their task: to hunt down and kill eccentric Jedi Master Djinn Altis, an unlikely ally of Clan Skirata. But Darman has plans of his own that he hasn't even revealed to Niner. He's come looking for his son, Kad. The galaxy is a dangerous place for a kid who's half-Force user, half clone, and Darman's set on getting Kad out of the reach of both the Emperor and the last of the Jedi any way he can - even if that means taking on the man he's always called father.["

Offline JonCC-1004

• Ensign
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
Picked up Death Troopers Novel and liked it and while in B-Nobel Bookstore I saw Order 66 RC I liked the looks of it and bought it now I am hooked I have read every one except 501st IC getting that one soon. However I am crushed the series is junked and there won't be anymore : (

Its sad as I really love the Republic Commando series. I have also made several custom RC guys in the past week even adding  Darman, and some troops to back up Fixer.  I custom made Fixer, two RC's in dark green colors,  Darman, Boss and I have Fi Skirata and two Scorch RC Commandos.

Bummer that the story line is over.  Its going to drive me NUTS outta me mind wondering what happend to SEV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon