Author Topic: Karen Traviss' RC Series  (Read 23132 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Karen Traviss' RC Series
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »
Just received it in the mail and read a few pages while cooking dinner. Yes, I'm one of those rare multitasking guys  :P

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 03:27:19 PM »
I am almost done with it,

No Spoilers but I am bittersweet with it,   I want and wanted more from this one and I don't want to wait until July of 2010

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
I finished mine the day after I got it.  That was the night I couldn't sleep - only 3 hrs of crappy dozing.  July, hm?  I need to see if I can find anything that might let us know if she's managing to wrap up any of "her" storylines...

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Of course things are subject to change but this next book is the only one listed as upcomming in the wiki, hopefully this isn't but if it is I want the story to tie up with the potential for more.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »
Uh... Ms. Traviss isn't writing any more SW books.  She said, effectively, Lucas had become a pain in the backside to write for, given his propensity to arbitrarily change canon and ignore previously-released works.  This made it hard to continue writing in the universe, as certain plot-points and story-arcs were pretty much screwed over with the release of the CW Season 2 guide.  So, the next RC/IC book is her last one.  Hopefully, she saw it coming early enough to give us RC/Mando fans some degree of closure.  We can hope.

Or we can write our own.

Oh, wait... I already am.  ;D

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »
I had to go and read more on it, for those interested here is the link to her site and the story pertaining to this,

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/Movingon.htm

I undertsand the this is all Lucas' baby but it's to bad you hear more and more of this occuring, teh continuity changes and "canon"   how can it be canon when the creator doesn't make up his mind.   Just read some of the early books in the SW runs, any of the "tales of" and so on and most of those are defunct now, as some should be ;)   but I do feel her pain and understand, I am not happy, as I loved this series.  I swear it's not the story anymore with Lucas, it's the cashcow.   And as much as I like continuations, I really can't fall in love with this new CW toon series at all, way to much "stupid" for me occuring, and the dialog plain old sucks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:50:32 PM by Reconsgt »

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
it is truly a dam shame i really loved this series and her writing style, well i wonder what her Halo novel will be like...

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »
Guess I'll have to look into Karen's Gears of War novels.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 07:58:19 AM »
Why can't Lucas just keep his mouth shut and rake in the billions? I would! You don't mess with something that is golden!

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 11:55:17 AM »
Why can't Lucas just keep his mouth shut and rake in the billions? I would! You don't mess with something that is golden!
he's become a supreme douche over the last 10 years

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »
he's become a supreme douche over the last 10 years

LOL. I am beginning to think that is an undestatement!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »

The Flanneled One does  ;) Ever since he decided he was better suited to direct again.

But this is not about George and his destroying all what the fans have bought and suffered for, it's about Karen's awesome contribution to our beloved gffa.

I'm a slow reader (because I always do something else while reading, like cooking, watching tv, saying "no" to my girl for the umptieth time upon her asking for candy), but I'm totally back in that world of Skirata and his ragtag clan of Mandos and what not!

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »
i honestly think Lucas has lost his mind and thinks HE IS Emperor Palpatine, Taking complete control over every thing!!! the power has gone to his head

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
It's a shame, Her writing style and story lines will surly be missed,  I really, really enjoyed this series of character development as well as here other SW titles.  I will check out some of her other titles in the non SW line up,   

As for Lucas, I have heard for years that he has become very tight with his ideas and control, problem with that is when his ideas change at the whims, It could be great if it stayed consistant, Heck it even started back with Splinter's of the Minds Eye, that didn;t follow canon at all and that was back in the original era.  O well, I still am eagerly awaiting the last installment of this run and will re-read it many times over.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2009, 01:12:20 PM »
Well, I picked up "Hard Contact" and "Triple Zero" last night and began reading.  Interesting so far, to see how Omega Squad was formed.  Karen's stories are simple to follow, good writing so far.  Looking forward to getting back to reading tonight!