Author Topic: Egypt - Marsa Alam - Red Sea  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Egypt - Marsa Alam - Red Sea
« on: August 12, 2023, 12:55:42 AM »
Egypt - it’s always been a childhood dream of mine to visit the ancient temples of Egypt. Now I’m here at the Red Sea about 300 km East of Luxor.
My brother wanted to go diving after he finished university in May. And with the rare but annual shark attacks, I didn’t want to let him go alone.
We’re at a bay where 7 hotels were built at. The airport of Marsa Alam used to be a military one, before a Scheich from Saudi Arabia bought it to make it a civil one. Now tourism flourishes here.

We went snorkeling twice so far and it’s a blast. I cannot take pictures underwater, but we saw many different kinds of butterfly and parrot fish so far, including a bicolor parrot fish and two blue spotted rays!

Yesterday the phone in our room suddenly rang, but it wasn’t the reception.
I was surprised to see this little fellow which jumped out of my bag before when I opened it. It was the best wake-up call for me to watch out for scorpions, snakes and spiders. The wildlife here is very present. And my dreams last night were accordingly vivid.
The internet however is often absent, but I’ll do my best to keep you updated.
We’re going to do our first dive here tomorrow. Some elements of the architecture here might also be interesting for some Tatooine reference.
And who knows…I might dig up the fossil of a Spinosaurus egypticus. One can dream, eh?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:42:00 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Egypt - Marsa Alam - Red Sea
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 06:25:42 AM »
I have always wanted to see the pyramids. Great stuff. That diving seems fun.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 09:47:43 AM »
I took this picture of Coraya Bay on our way out. The airport is right next to the hotel compound and used to be military. Some Scheich bought it and hotels were built as a result around the bay.
It all belongs to the Marsa Alam region although the actual city is about 68 km south.

The Hotel

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 04:44:50 PM »
What an incredible trip you have had. Great memories, to be sure. Safe journey home.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 02:54:37 AM »
Looks gorgeous.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 01:31:05 AM »
Thank you so much guys! I was going to share this in our break room because it felt as if I had literally broken my neck. On our first day in Egypt I went swimming in the pool. Was planning to swim for an hour every day in order to get ready for swimming in the ocean. Didn't take a watch to the pool so 90 minutes later I called it a day. I'm left handed so my left shoulder is used to working whereas my right shoulder didn't take the cold start too well.
So my neck and right shoulder have been hurting since August 11. Yesterday, I went to a doctor. Pain killer have saved me over the weekend. I wasn't expecting to get an appointment before October when I called him last week. But since I couldn't sleep for two nights straight, he offered me to come on Monday morning. It turned out that my first two cervical vertebrae were compressed and pushing on a nerve. My whole day was determined by pain radiating to my right temple, chest and arm. Never had so much pain before. So the orthopedist and osteopath started with a massage, did different exercises with me and eventually broke my neck. At least it felt that way as seen in all those videos on YouTube with cracking spines.
Anyways I feel better now, the main source of pain is gone now and I'm ready to fly to Colorado on Monday!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 02:54:43 AM »
Glad to hear you are getting some better days. Being in pain on vacation isn't fun!