Author Topic: Star Wars Toy Guide Volume One - Read Five Design - Your 2nd (and LAST) Chance!  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
The time has come! The demand is great enough for ReadFive Design Ltd. to take orders for the second run of their Kenner Archive Book!

Secure your book until 12th May, 2023 here:

https://www.readfive.co.uk/book-pre-order

Yesterday's update via email:

KICKSTARTER NOW LIVE Star Wars Toy Guide – Kenner Action Figures
double-click for full screen view

They say since the demand is strongest in the U.S. they decided to have to second run printed in the U.S.A. so that shipping will be cheapest there (17 GBP per book). International shipping is 42 GBP per book. Also the price for the book has doubled compared to the kickstarter campaign with a new price of 150 GBP. So the grand total looks as follows:

Secure your book here & now:

https://www.readfive.co.uk/book-pre-order

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 06:55:34 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
I'm massively on the fence with the price hike. Their kickstarter project wasn't popular even among insiders. Here in Germany I don't know anyone who knew about it and backed the project right away.
Back in 2020 the price for one book including poster was 75 GPB or less. Now, they want 150 GBP without any added features. And since the demand is highest in the U.S., they ship from the United States which totally makes sense from the logistics standpoint. But here in Europe we have to pay another 42 GBP just for shipping. I asked all of my friends who grew up with the first Star Wars figures from Kenner, but all of them said it's too expensive.
This book is too well done to not buy it, another 136 pages were added since the original run, but not for any price. Just because some people paid $600-1,000 on the secondary mrket doesn't mean everyone else would pay double the price. It's a very bitter pill to swallow and since I don't have any emotional connection to the Kenner figures, I think I'm out for this one, but I wanted to share this second and last chance to get this book directly from the publisher.

Here's an in-depth review and good overlook of this massive book:

Star Wars Toy Guide Volume One - Kenner Action Figures 1977 - 1985 By Read Five Designs
double-click for full screen view

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Seems like an awesome book, but man way too steep for me.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
I've always struggled with the appeal of a book about action figures. Someone bought me the Steve Sansweet Action Figure Archive book some years ago - I never look at it. The figures are toys to me - still are after all these years. Plus, I still have my original collection from when I was a kid. For folks who missed out, or once had the figures but don't anymore, I guess I can see the appeal. A book like this is done as a collectible level book in its own right (at least at this price), but I'm not "book about action figures" book collector, so I'm a hard pass. I can appreciate the hard work, the artistry and the passion, but I'm about the artifact of the figures themselves.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Very solid points here. I probably won't buy it because I have no emotional connection to the inception of Star Wars figures by Kenner. I just love the nostalgia about it and how well this book is made. Talk about thorough work and strong dedication here.
I would have liked to appreciate their effort if I had known about this kickstarter 3 years ago. I would've paid 120 pounds for the book as well, but not double the price.
I wrote a comment on instagram and they replied right away:

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
I still can't see that price for a book especially if Kenner isn't your main focus.