Author Topic: Speeder Bike chase dio: WIP 09/23/09 - setback :-(  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Speeder Bike chase dio: WIP 09/23/09 - setback :-(
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:16:51 AM »
Well, this one's been neglected by me for some time now. But after seeing Miniatureart's excellent work on the Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol, I hauled myself upstairs to sit at my desk and continue on my Speeder Bike Chase Diorama.

This diorama was inspired by Starshipmodeler member Schweinhund's dio of four AMT/ERTL Speeder Bike models. This guy really went all out in modding the troopers on those bikes. I thought: I can do that too with Hasbro's and Kenner's bikes.

You should know, the Speeder Bike scene in ROTJ is one of my favourites in the whole saga and Hasbro has really let us down so far by not upgrading the speeder bike toy. Sure, we had the really good Clone Wars Speeder Bike (which is terribly hard to find for a decent price), but somehow some dr. No-Brains there thinks it's better to keep using the practically unaltered Kenner mold from the early 80s  >:(

So, I started to work and this is what I have so far:

What did I change so far? Well, this:

- removed the steering vanes, replace them with custom ones made from .5mm styrene sheet
- cut out the closed sections of the outriggers
- removed the cross bar, filled up the hole with Fixit
- drilled holes for the handlebars (I've sent a pair of the CW Bike ones to a fellow customizer to make casts of)
- removed the pedals completely, replaced them with custom ones made from styrene tube and rod (the pedals themselves will also be cast)
- disabled the highly entertaining explosion feature and replaced the blanket with a piece of styrene with some pleather on top
- drilled tiny holes in the blaster cannon (hey, I just bought a pin vise, so had to try it out  ;) )

That's it so far. Now I need to work on the scouts' hips so they can sit properly on their rides. Maybe I'll add a Luke and/or Leia as well, who knows.

Feel free to comment and critique, it's always appreciated!

-Incom
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:12:34 AM by Incom »

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Speeder Bike chase diorama: WIP 09/18/09
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »
This will be one build I will be watching closely, I share the same sentiments that the speeder bike is ripe for improvements and needs to be redone. The use of the pleather is a great idea, mixing mediums really adds a realistic tone and texture to a project.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:46:48 AM »
HOLY CRAP!!!!  I can't wait to see this unfold!  I love speeder bikes, and that chase scene was one of my favorites!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »
Incom, buddy! this better not be one of those awesome projects that you start and not finish (a certain crashed tie fighter comes to mind).

You are the kind of person for who really takes time with the small details, even your work in progress images are polished. I'd love to see how this turns out as you are one of the top custom/diorama creators I've seen.

Great to see you active here.

Jules

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
Thanks guys, your words are quite encouraging!

Jules, I know what you mean, friend. I'm just that kinda guy: I start something with lots of enthusiasm and, mostly because of the huge amounts of work still to be done, I tend to slack off and start something new. Also with great vigor  ;D

No worries, I've got the next week off and I feel like crap, so what better way to spend my spare time working on more stuff? And that TIE is always staring me in the eye, just lying there on my desk. Come to think of it, I only need to add indoor side panels and paint the damn thing  :o Then it's off to make a huge base!

I therefore envy you for your perserverance. You've made fantastic chapters of a marvelous photonovel, also dripping with splendid details and atmosphere. Can't even imagine how much work went into that!

I've also got this A-Wing still in WIP status, but that's blasphemy, since it doesn't belong here in the Imperial Shipyards  :P

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
Wow, this is gonna be good. I am going to the front page with this one!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:51:23 PM »
Wow, thanks Tamer! I promise to spend time on this the coming days. I can't finish the bikes themselves yet, since I have some parts shipped off to Ruprecht, of which he will make multiple casts. I will try and figure out how to make those scouts sit better on their bikes. Already found out that Microman hip joints is not the way for me to go  :(  Luckily, I have a dozen or so Scouts to "sacrifice"  ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »
I know you sure have us excited about this chase scene. I can't wait to see you put this together. I was just thinking what it would look like for this one when finished, hangarbay94's landing platform, and Sarge's Endor dio would look together. The thought I am having now is impressive.

Also, you mentioned Miniatureart's Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol and I would love to see this one. Have a link?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:07:13 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 04:15:52 AM »
Great mods to your bikes this far. I am excited to see this project progress.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Also, you mentioned Miniatureart's Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol and I would love to see this one. Have a link?

http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4810&sid=d188ead498dc093c5acdf81fc4af0595

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »
I remember seeing that before over at Scum as well.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »
I know you sure have us excited about this chase scene. I can't wait to see you put this together. I was just thinking what it would look like for this one when finished, hangarbay94's landing platform, and Sarge's Endor dio would look together. The thought I am having now is impressive.

Well, to mention my project in one line with HB's tremendous platform is quite an honor! Where can I find Sarge's Endor dio then?

About the link: I had it under "miniatureart", but it didn't show clear enough, because it was the same colour as the rest of the text. I underlined the link now.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:20:36 AM by Incom »

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
I forgot to check that, Incom!  :-\  Yeah, I knew it was on RS, too - but I had Yak open in another tab, so that one was easier for me ta get.   8)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
Wow, I never knew the ones Hasbro were that far off, I should have guessed. Well looks like my opener one of these I am gonna have to get to someone to attempt this for my Hoth dio. I gotta have it realistic. Thanks for that link Incom.

As for Sarge's Endor dio I am not sure we have shots here of it yet. Sarge's computer sidelined and I don't think he has taken new shots as it is one mother of a dio as I recall.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
I don't want to hyjack your thread but i reposted my endor pics after they were purged as old topics when we added more space here. You can find them in my thread in the Dio section