Author Topic: Y-wing from "Rise of Skywalker" for 3.75" figures  (Read 4506 times)

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Y-wing from "Rise of Skywalker" for 3.75" figures
« on: July 12, 2021, 02:01:47 AM »
Time to reveal what I've been working on throughout the pandemic: Designing this toy-scale version of the Y-wing from "Rise of Skywalker" for 3.75" figures. (I'm making this announcement exclusive to Imperial Shipyards for at least a day, before spreading this news to other sites and social media.)

100% paper and wood-based from: corrugated cardboard from Amazon boxes, paperboard from food packaging, coffee stirrers, coffee cup sleeves, toothpicks, paper. Elmer's white glue. Now need to add the final details (greebles), decals and paint. Length: 21". (The Kenner classic Y-wing is 17".)

Just as I did with my toy versions of the U-wing and AT-Hauler: I will release the parts patterns and build instructions for this Y-wing for free. I look forward seeing what the SW toy-custom community can do with it. I hope to release this in early fall.

Video clip: Rotating turret
https://i.imgur.com/OE6fnlK.mp4

Video clip: Attaching engine to body
https://i.imgur.com/6gTJa3U.mp4

My AT-Hauler toy
https://imgur.com/gallery/DKzVj1y

My 1:18 scale U-wing playset
https://imgur.com/gallery/VCxsf

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Y-wing from "Rise of Skywalker" for 3.75" figures
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 02:57:16 AM »
Now, I feel sorry for all enthusiasts of the Sequels also because there's been a lack of vehicles to go along with their 5POA figure asst. On the other hand scarce supplies motivate customisers like you to make their own vehicles. Hasbro not making certain figures have always inspired me to make them myself as far as I could. I got tired of waiting.
Having that said, I think you should send these images to Hasbro and I mean pictures of all your vehicles because not only do they show how incredibly creative you are, but also how many play features you managed to incorporate in your designs.
I mean seriously you made these wonderful crafts out of cardboard whereas a multi billion dollar company haven't been capable of doing so. Downsizing vehicles and adding less features is what they've continued doing in the past years (speaking of their toy lines, not collector focused vehicles).

When I saw the first image of your Y-Wing I was blown away already, especially by the sharp shapes of the cockpit. But not only the design impresses me, also the stripes and details you added to it look fantastic. You make some phenomenal work and I really enjoyed watching the video clips you included. Add: The sound of the cardboard parts fitting perfectly and sliding into each other perfectly was a great one. I think they call it ASMR nowadays. lol
Thank you so much for sharing this project with us! Every time I see one of your spacecrafts pushes me more to finally get started with my Droid Carrier, for which I only made some drawings so far.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 03:10:20 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 06:04:25 AM »
Well I know what will be at the top of our front page today! Wow, now this is a fantastic project. Just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it with us first.

I am definitely going to announce this on our other social channels too!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:02:30 AM by Tamer »

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
This is master level, so impressive!

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »
Wow!!!

Im speechless!

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »
Thanks for all the words, and I'm very happy that you recognize what I create is meant to evoke a toy aesthetic. The first question always whenever I've designed these has been: "What if Hasbro made this? What would it look like? What features would they put in? How detailed would it be?"

And I imagine this is what a "concept toy" might look like on display at a toy trade show at the Hasbro booth. They're meant to make you want to reach out to pick up and actually play with. I like to think that these come from an alternate reality where Toys R Us still exists, children play with action figures and vehicles, and Star Wars toys are in huge demand by children.  ;D

As for Hasbro: I feel sort of empathy for them. Because I theorize what holds them back is the high license fee, and also many children aren't that into action figures and vehicles -- at least in 3.75" format. So they have to very carefully decide what could sell the most and how much money and time they can afford to invest in 3.75" nowadays.

This is one reason why I decided on investing in the personal effort to design a toy version AT-Hauler and ROS Y-wing: I don't think Hasbro will make them, or could, because the numbers don't work out for them.

And I look forward to seeing your droid carrier! One of the reasons why I build with cardboard and paper is because it is cheap, costs essentially nothing. I want to demonstrate that one can use recycled materials from everyday packaging and throwaway items to build something that looks "real". It's about investing the time, not in a lot of money in materials or tools.

Now, I feel sorry for all enthusiasts of the Sequels...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:50:06 PM by WhillsScholar »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 06:37:56 AM »
I love your attitude and views about this. I found myself nodding a lot to your latest reply. I love the concept of making something nice and cheap and then sharing it with the masses. Thats a class act in my opinion. Thank you for sharing this!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 05:53:02 AM »
I can't believe you built this out of cardboard.
All the details look phenomenal.
Excellent work

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 10:50:16 PM »
I'm late to the party, but that is an AMAZING build. I agree with Tamer regarding your philosophy about building these. Boy if I saw something like this is a store, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The idea of building it out of easily accessible materials is really cool. Kudos, and thanks for sharing.

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »
My thoughts exactly, the level of expertise and imagination of your creations is just something extraordinary and making it of things that normally ends up in the trash is just fantastic, and to be able to share your creations is just awesome, you make the world a much better place .

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 11:00:39 PM »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 03:05:08 AM »
Wow, now I really have something to look forward to next week.

So awesome that you shared the project with all of us.

Off to share this tease!

Offline WhillsScholar

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 04:46:50 AM »
Happy May the Fourth! I have finished this Resistance Y-wing and released the build kit today for FREE, so anyone can make and customize their own.

More photos can be seen here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/nAW5azG
Build guide and parts templates:
https://imgur.com/a/8bEN9RG

Questions, seeking advice, other inquiries: howardhwen@gmail.com

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 03:10:07 AM »
Wow, what a nice gift. So awesome. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Time for me to go spread the word!