Author Topic: Stormtropoer/Clonetrooper Lots  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Stormtropoer/Clonetrooper Lots
« on: September 21, 2020, 02:50:23 AM »
I was just sent this by Sjefke. Its a great price for army builders:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F124343679884&campid=5337377665&toolid=10001&customid=

You can get 10 stormies or 10 clones or you can do a lot of 5 stormies and 5 clones.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Stormtropoer/Clonetrooper Lots
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 03:07:23 AM »
These two listings must be new, haven't seen them before. No waist articulation on the Stormtroopers is unfortunate, but I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the link and shoutout to Sjefke!

Update: Just bought the set with 5 of each for $43.99 using the affiliate ink you provided.
Expected delivery is December 20, 2020, but it usually takes 2 weeks or less. The exchange rate of PayPal is 1.13 at the moment - not bad. I'm curious to see the quality of them. Doubt they're authentic, but I'll use them for some customs. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:15:59 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:48 AM »
Cool deal, let us know what you find out with this lot when they arrive. They seem to be perfect for army builders.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 05:47:44 AM »
Most likely no official figures, but excellent custom fodder...

My order arrived yesterday and the quality of the figures does not disappoint!

Here's the lot of 10 troopers (5 of each), which I ordered on September 21, 2020. As many times before, it (only) took 9 days 'til they arrived in Germany. The date stamps on each figure's feet say

2008 Hasbro LFL CHINA.

They came in the usual plastic envelope/folded plastic bag, which I didn't take a picture of:

I'm positively surprised by the detail between the torso armor and underneath the upper arm.

Clone Trooper

The plastic of these figures is bright white, glossy and softer than Hasbro's versions. The softness is most noticeable on their hands, but it brings the advantage that blasters can be added easier.
Unlike the Stormtroopers these Clone Troopers have a ball-jointed torso/waist.
The joints are not tight, but also not loose. But they probably will become loose when swiveled and moved redundantly. My samples are definitely more loose than authentic/licensed TCW Clone Troopers. The reason for this could again be the softer material (PVC).

Articulation:
Head: ball-socket
Shoulder: ball-hinged
Elbow: ball-hinged
Hand: swivel
Torso: ball-joint
Hip: swivel
Knee: ball-hinged
Ankle: ball-hinged

Stormtrooper

The plastic is white, but not as bright as the Clone Troopers. They don't appear yellow (yet), but are more mat and of a flatter white (some grey/yellow-ish in there). There's no articulation in the waist. The belt is glued on, no glue visible, some belts are a little crooked though. Attached to the belt is a black pouch, which I didn't know before - no holsters!. The joints are tighter than the ones of the Clones. On the back you can see a slot where a (Sandtrooper) backpack can be attached.
So might these in fact be some incomplete Sandtroopers?

I have yet to find out, on which version of Hasbro's Stormtroopers/Sandtroopers this one is based.
The date stamp of 2008 doesn't fit any official Stormtrooper release. So they might be a kit-bash based on 2004's OTC Stormtrooper. The glued belt might hinder the swivel waist.

Articulation:
Torso: none (probably glued swivel)

Blasters

Both versions of troops come with an E-11 Baster. As far as I can tell, this E-11 is based on the one that came with the 2006 TSC Sand- & Stormtrooper figures. Unlike similar previous blaster rifles, the plastic of these E-11 blasters is soft and bendable! Details are molded nice and accurately.

Side-note: I always open shipments from overseas with gloves. The items are often dusty and even a little greasy. These figures don't smell like Hasbro's figures. The date stamp of 2008 doesn't fit any official Stormtrooper release. So they might be a kit-bash based on 2004's OTC Stormtrooper. The glued belt might hinder the swivel waist.
I have no info of where these units come from, but I suppose they were pressed in the metal molds produced for Hasbro back in the day. The plastic varies from the material used for Hasbro's commission.
The (black) paint is applied decently. I'd give the paintwork a B to C.
All pictures were taken before I washed the figures.

Again, a big shout out goes to forum member Sjefke for the hint! Thank you for making us aware of this new offer!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:08:15 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 07:20:18 AM »
That is great news. Thanks for doing such a great review on em.

Off to share this on the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 02:08:41 AM »
I remember to have read somewhere that Lucasfilm only had a patent on the helmet designs. When I first saw the Clone Trooper helmet, I thought it looked a little off. Until I checked the photo archive of Jedibusiness.com. I think this Clone Trooper might be based on the one that came with the remote controlled Republic Fighter Tank. And since it's remote controlled it might have been produced in another factory. Maybe the Trooper that comes with it was also produced somewhere else. In any case, the molds were used for some after-work shifts. When I take a closer look, I must admit that I'm a little shocked by the low quality of some of the TCW Clones that even did pass Hasbro's quality control. Didn't even know the helmet design had slighlty changed over time like the shape of the visor:

The officially licensed Trooper doesn't seem as glossy as the samples I got from ebay. Does anyone have the RC Republic Fighter Tank?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 02:47:38 AM »
Pretty interesting history there. Definitely reminds me of the look of the first anime of The Clone Wars, Tartovosky or some such artist. The same one that did Dexter's Labratory.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 04:55:55 AM »
Yeah, that was a great time with the very first CLONE WARS movie back in 2003...we saw some great figures & vehicles in that line like Clone Troopers or the Hailfire Droid...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 05:00:01 AM »
Meanwhile I'm having some customizing fun with these TCW Clone Troopers and my new Tamiya acrylic paints to see how they're different from the others:

Again, big shoutout to Centurions Corner and FialaFernbrugg for the hints!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 08:49:26 AM »
Better than expected!

Fourm member RC-1136 was the first one of our forum to order & share these Clone Troopers on here. To me the helmets looked a little off on the images on ebay. When RC-1136 shared in-hand images, I was taught better. Still, the troopers were too expensive for me. If I remember correctly each of them was about $10 shipped. Recently I found an offer for $22.99 plus $7 shipping. My first batch arrived last week and I'm happily surprised so that I want to share my next review on them:

Helmet Comparison

Clone Trooper

The plastic of these figures is bright white and is of the same consistence like Hasbro's. Some hands and especially the antennas are very loose.
These Clone Troopers have a ball-jointed torso/waist and the exact same articulation as the III-41 Clone Trooper from the Revenge of the Sith toy line.
The joints are nice and tight.

Articulation:
Torso: ball-joint

Blasters & Antennas

All versions of troops come with a DC-15 Blaster Rifle, a DC-17 Blaster Carbine and an antenna.
All of the accessories are mat black and the surface is rough and not smooth as Hasbro's original accessories. Still I think they're made with the original molds. The reason for the lower quality might be because they were casted too hot. The plastic is less flexible and some details are not as sharp anymore. If you wish for further details, I can take more pictures.

Comment:

I'm really happy with these troopers! The mold of the ROTS #41 Clone Trooper is not only my favorite mold, bu it's also great to have some 212th Attack Battalion Clone Troopers without battle damage! They seem to be authentic. Colors vary a little, but the paint apps are even better than on the original Clone Trooper - the figure that started the fever for me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 01:43:45 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 02:49:39 AM »
Can you get me an eBay Link and I can feature both your review and where you got them? I hit the links you have here, but can't find where they are on eBay.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 02:55:29 AM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 03:00:04 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 03:00:24 AM »
Thank you, that was quick. Let me go feature this.

Offline Mos-Eisley-Customz

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 02:28:05 AM »
Got about 70 of these so far, they are really good value ..the hands come off a little easy and the 501st are a lighter shade of blue but that's my only complaint, great army for a fraction of the cost 8)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 03:24:29 AM »
Got about 70 of these so far, they are really good value ..the hands come off a little easy and the 501st are a lighter shade of blue but that's my only complaint, great army for a fraction of the cost 8)

So you used this same seller to buy your lots?