Author Topic: 3D printed props and replicas  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
3D printed props and replicas
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:43:44 AM »
In this topic you can share all the 3D printed collectibles you either made yourself or bought from a customizer.

Content of this topic:

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: 3D printed props and replicas
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:47:00 AM »
A friend of mine from high school is about to get done with his Master degree in Engineering. Since he’s very much into computer aided design and manufacturing he gave something he made on his own from scratch to me for my birthday:

A scaled replica of Count Dooku‘s lightsaber. It was made with the selective laser-melting technology using a special aluminum alloy. You can find a video explaining the details at the end of this reply to also describe the in-progress pictures below:

Here's a video of an example part produced with the selective laser-melting technique:

Double-click for full screen view.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:51:25 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »
I'm really impressed by the detail of this 12 cm long hilt. All I need to do now is to polish it and also paint the grip in black.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:53:00 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:22:05 AM »
Now that is one cool gift. Man, I can't even imagine the details that went into the design of this. Dude has talent.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 03:36:28 AM »
Yes, he spent about 6 hours on the design, but he alslo took some elements from an STL file he found online and modified them. Thanks for the frontpage!

Now, I only need to polish and paint the hilt! ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 03:38:12 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 03:47:23 AM »
Now, I got a co-pilot!

So on ebay I found a customizer who sells this 3D printed, life-size replica of The Child aka Baby Yoda! His name is Jens and you can also find him on Facebook. Just send me a PM if you're interested.
He offers his custom for 120€ on ebay and 100€ on Facebook - don't know why there's a price difference when there are no fees on ebay Kleinanzeigen (similar to Craigslist).

After the head, hands and feet (optional) are printed, Jens sands down the printing lines, spray-paints the skin and adds all the details. Eyes and nails are painted and the hair is applied with spray-glue.
His girlfriend makes the costume, which looks spot on in my opinion. Perfect match between both here! All parts are attached to a foam core.
I had to pay 10€ extra for the the feet. Unfortunately he cannot stand the way it arrived, so I need to do some further sanding beneath the feet.
So he sold this to me for 130€ shipped. I can recommend to you to send him a message on Facebook where he offers his project for 100€. He also takes commissions with your own wishes, so he can vary the design a bit. I had to wait for 7 weeks until he sent it to me. I said to him there's no need to hustle. He said he can usually deliver within two weeks.

Properties:

Scale: almost 1/1

Height: 36 cm (14.17 inches)
Width (from ear to ear): 33 cm (12.9 inches)

According to Wookieepedia, the Child is about 42 cm (16.5 inches) tall. So this replica is about 8 cm (2.32 inches) too small.
But if you can live with that, this one could be an option for you.

What do you think? Is this a good alternative to Sideshow's Life Size figure of The Child?

Borrowed Stitch from my sister. Who's the cutest now?!

Before we took off to our journey across the country, my new buddy made sure everything's okay with the ship. Never had such a fun ride with a custom replica beside me!

And of course we listened to the soundtrack of the TV show on our way through hyperspace!  0/

I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. SEASON TWO of THE MANDALORIAN is just around the corner already! It seemed so far away when the show officially aired back in March here in Germany along with Disney+. 

Who else is thrilled for the next season?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:27:20 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 05:59:27 AM »
Very nice. He looks great. I tried searching for him on eBay and couldn't find him. If you shoot me a link I will try to give this guys a shout out.

Off to the front pages.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 04:47:44 AM »
I like that Baby Yoda, looks great!
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback