Author Topic: Stickers, Labels & how to remove them from boxes & blisters...  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
I was searching the Forum for a few keywords, but didn't find any related content. So I thought this might be helpful for some of you out there!

You guys have some awesome stuff over there in the U.S. - on my last stop at a local Dollar store (Action, Netherlands) however I found a bottle of sticker remover for 1,99€ (300 ml). The purchase was well worth it: I had to remove a double-sided tape with quite a strong glue from my one and only Funko POP! figure before I sold it. It contains hydrocarbons (C10-13), n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, aromatics EC-NR: 918-481-9 and it works very well!

In this thread I want to show you how to remove stickers like labels & price tags, but also how to preserve stickers from drying & crumbling over time.

Before using the sticker remover of your choice, be sure to read the instructions and safety sheet!

Use safety goggles, gloves and a face (gas) mask to be on the safe side of the force.

Before applying the solvent, try how it reacts to the material you want to apply it on. For example: I try it on a food box before I apply it to the actual material, which I don't want to damage.

Here are some links, which might be helpful and also support our Forum, if you use them for any purchase on Amazon.com:

Goo Gone Pro-Power Spray Gel: https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Pro-Power-Spray-Gel/dp/B00SPHYQXM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sticker+remover&qid=1589371972&sr=8-2

Goo Gone Adhesive Remover: https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Original-Liquid-Adhesive/dp/B00006IBNJ/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=sticker+remover&qid=1589372204&sr=8-10

To be updated...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:44:38 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Stickers, Labels & how to remove them from boxes & blisters...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »
Wow, great tutorial. Off to the front pages.

Anxious to see how this goes. Its always a gamble trying to remove stickers. I just hate seeing them on vintage boxes are cards.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 02:50:38 AM »
It went very well! It alreay did on the plastic base of that Funko POP! figure (Finn). I applied the solvent with a paper tissue and dabbed it on the label. After 10 minutes of curing, I could easily peel the sticker off! Before, the glue was so strong, that I couldn't remove them without ripping the print/box!
A brush would've been even better and from now on, I'll use a brush and/or a pipette for more precise application.

But after my test worked so well, I tried it on the real deal right away and here are the results:

The solvent I used doesn't put any damage to the packaging nor to the label!

I apologize to all the 62 views for me taking a coupe days to post this...

The chemical side of this:

My chemistry teacher always said, water is the best solvent. And I agree, also because there is no other solvent available in this quantity.
But water molecules also force their way into cardboard - even if it's printed and sealed to a certain degree - it's just a matter of time. Water alwas finds its way and then the box gets wavy…
The carbon chains of 13 and more atoms however are too big to go into the paint/print. Some molecules might get stuck there, but it's much safer than water.
The solvent I used left some stains, which I tried to remove with soap. But it didn't work, yet. Might do with cleaning gasoline. That's why I can highly recommend to you, to apply the solvent as precisely as possible. Maybe practice a little (more than me) depending on how skilled you are already.

I'm amazed how well this works and will try many more! The glue is solved temporarily, but the label is still sticky although I could remove it from the box with no resistance at all!

That's why there's a certain magic to chemistry. Cheers!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:56:17 AM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 04:39:34 AM »
I've seen a lot of people trying to get the stickers off the Retro figures. I have no idea why they would put it on there in the first place. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.  People like vintage cards  Hey let's make a retro figure on a vintage card, but let's put I giant sticker on the card that tells everyone it's a vintage card in several languages. Genius.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:52:11 AM »
You can barely see where it was. Such a great result. Off to the front pages.

It sure looks much better to me without that sticker.